The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 10th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

JOYO Ultimate Drive (interior pics & sounds)..I like it....

I bought a used JOYO Tremolo to use with my Pro Junior. It cost about $30 with S&H on ebay. I think it's very nice for the money.

I was reading comments about the Ultimate Drive here on the TDPRI and decided to buy one. $39.69 delivered via Priority Mail from a California seller called kdmdistributors. The JOYO pedal is wrapped in bubble warp in the JOYO box. The seller wrapped the box in more bubble and he mailed it in a bubble Priority Mail bag. It was nice service from a domestric seller. The guy's name is Allen. Thank Allen (whoever you are).

This is what it looks like.....

I've read that this pedal is supposed to sound like an OCD.

I have never owned an OCD. I like TS808 style pedals. I wouldn't know an OCD if it bit me.

I really like the sound of the Ultimate Drive.

It's very quiet. I can hear my guitar despite the higher gain than I am used to. It has a very organic crunch despite the higher gain. Most of the tone pot sweep is usable. It has a very beefy ballsy sound without sounding like a "distortion" pedal. I don't care for traditional distortion pedals. When a pedal has fizzy gain and I can't hear the guitar jangle I get very turned off. The project box is metal, the jacks are real and it's true bypass.

As I said, I don't know squat about OCD's and I couldn't compare this pedal to an OCD to save my life but considering what I spent and what I like; this thing is a winner.

I didn't turn the gain up much past 2 o'clock. I think I'm too old to turn the gain past 2 o'clock. I would probably need a letter from my Doctor or some kind or permission slip if I was going to turn the gain past 2 o'clock.

Bad FLIP demo.....

I ordered the blue delay pedal last night. It's digital but the voice is supposed to be warmer/analog-like the way the Carl Martin Red Repeat is built. $39 + $2 shipping from Hong Kong.

Affordable fun.....that's for sure. The delay will take 2-3 weeks to get to my mail box.

"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Frank Zappa
studio1087 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Yeah good pedal. Mine is pretty high gain at 9 o'clock. I guess that may be subjective or just some quality control differences. Either way I've got mine beside the OCD for higher gain stuff. I like it! And allows me to use the OCD on lower/mid gain stuff.

Old January 11th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Could be just the use of the stronger (than Fender single-coils) P-90's but this demo is making me very happy that I did NOT get this pedal (and I'm a sucker for well-made, cheap OD pedals)

I'm just hearing pure hard rock saturation- very modern sounding. No real tone here, like it does not matter what guitar/amp is used.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 11th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiogtr4x
Could be just the use of the stronger (than Fender single-coils) P-90's but this demo is making me very happy that I did NOT get this pedal (and I'm a sucker for well-made, cheap OD pedals)

I'm just hearing pure hard rock saturation- very modern sounding. No real tone here, like it does not matter what guitar/amp is used.
Yea I can see that. I listened to the clip after my post. Higher gain sounds were featured. I prefer the gain set (on mine) at about 9 o'clock. Still pretty gainy but also musical and defined IMO.

Old January 11th, 2012, 05:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Well, isn't that the pedal, which was rebranded by a Company-One-Should-Not-Name, sold at a multiple of the original price - and still got good reviews? It has to be good
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr View Post
Well, isn't that the pedal, which was rebranded by a Company-One-Should-Not-Name, sold at a multiple of the original price - and still got good reviews? It has to be good
Can someone post a link to this rebranding story?

I don't understand the back story.

Did Fulltone sell the OCD to someone else who charges more? Is this like when Tim Juarnig sold the Gristle King to T-Rex?

I'm a big dummy.....I don't know the story.

Thanks.

Regarding the gain level.....I just set the knob low. I like the overall tone. I have a Keeley Baked Mod TS9 which has three times the gain of a TS9 and the tone is also modified. I love the tone and I simply dial the gain back. The extra gain is fun when I'm feeling crazy.

"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Frank Zappa

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio1087 View Post
Can someone post a link to this rebranding story?
I don't understand the back story.
Can't do for legal reasons and for respect to TDPRI Moderators, although if you look around in this forum, you'll find some clues. It was not OCD, it was rebranded as a supposedly Dumble-like "boutique" pedal.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG806 View Post
Yea I can see that. I listened to the clip after my post. Higher gain sounds were featured. I prefer the gain set (on mine) at about 9 o'clock. Still pretty gainy but also musical and defined IMO.
Could be wrong here but my point was that in the demo, the Gain knob was low, but still a lot of distortion coming thru...just a matter of preference/playing style.

I have other OD's (even a Rat clone) capable of pretty saturated Gain, but have a more tapered Gain range so you can go from clean boost> Overdrive>distortion

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr View Post
Can't do for legal reasons and for respect to TDPRI Moderators, although if you look around in this forum, you'll find some clues. It was not OCD, it was rebranded as a supposedly Dumble-like "boutique" pedal.
Oops. Let's let it go. I love the forum and I don't want to stir up any trouble. I didn't know. Sorry.

Old January 11th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Oops. Let's let it go. I love the forum and I don't want to stir up any trouble. I didn't know. Sorry.
i think i can give you the gist without there being any trouble - moderators delete away if neccessary!

a company that will remain nameless - let's call them eekish youse for arguments sake - is accused of buying ultimate drive pedals and basically painting the boxes, gooping over the boards (i think) and maybe removing/changing some components and then selling them for 3-4x the price of the joyos - i think i have that right. i believe it was the members at doityourselfstompboxes who first figured this out and as it got out around the internet eekish youse started using various methods to shut down any discussion of whether the pedals were expensive ripoffs or not, including threatened legal action against isp's and forums.

there i think that's safe and accurate and should give you some idea of what happened.
bigp7099 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

And here's the mod mentioned above that was posted (here?) by Analog Mike.

Joyo Ultimate Drive JF-02 Mod

Just so it's clear, if you are modifying the Joyo pedal, the changes are as follows: 330K resistor in parallel (solder across outside lugs) with "OD", 1K5 resistor in parallel with "T", 470K resistor in parallel with "V". Change capacitor "C9" to 100n (104). Done.

Cut that tacked-on resistor off the tone pot, big improvement.

We didn't test much with the resistors on the gain and volume pots. But the taper on the gain knob is terrible, it does very little from 12:00 to max (like some Boss pedals SD1 etc). An audio taper gain pot would help a lot but hard to change them as they are special board mounted pots. Check geofex article about pot tapers, instead of adding a resistor across the outer lugs, you can change the taper by adding a resistor from the wiper (center) to one of the outer lugs.

Have fun!

This post was brought to you by the ProCo RAT, the official dirt pedal of the TDPRI. Buy one today!
Paul in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I almost sold mine but I discovered that it makes an excellent boost pedal. When set with the gain all the way down it makes a great boost that adds some harmonic content. Turn up the gain to about 8-8:30 and adds just a bit of crunch to the boost.I like it with the toggle in the up possition. You can really accentuate pinch harmonics when using this pedal as a boost. It really makes my Ampeg J-20 sing !!!!

It sounds a lot better with my tele than my P-90 equipped Yamaha. I don't think this pedal plays as well with hotter pickups.

Old January 11th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I love mine with the gain down around 9 o'clock too. Nice overdrive, different flavor from a TS variant. You get a very modern sound if you start turning up the gain. (this sound is not for me!)

Old January 11th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiogtr4x View Post
Not trying to pile on, but I too am not hearing any magic - pedal sounds processed, for want of a better word. But I do recall several folks here thought it was a good (and cheap) pedal to mod. But if you like it stock, and for the price, enjoy!

Old January 11th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNeri View Post
Not trying to pile on, but I too am not hearing any magic - pedal sounds processed, for want of a better word. But I do recall several folks here thought it was a good (and cheap) pedal to mod. But if you like it stock, and for the price, enjoy!
FWIW it sounds a lot different for me than the les paul - fender pro jr combo above.

I'm playing Fender American Deluxe Tele > Joyo > Vox AC15c1
Way more open/responsive.

Old January 11th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

OP -- Thanks for posting that! I have one of these on the way. I always take internet demos with a ton of salt, but I'll bet I get some useable tones out of this thing.
max_twang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNeri View Post
I'm loving it stock.
last night at band rehearsal I had it setup like this:
CV50vb ->UD->CS3 compressor ->Delay-> Trem-> Blues Deluxe amp.
when playing crunchy rythm the UD and the Compressor are on giving enough clarity to distinguish what youre playing - then for solos, kick out the CS3 (which tames the UD when on) and there you have a perfect boost in dBs (whatever you dialed the output level to.) pure fun and magic to my ears.

oh, I usually leave the UD tone at 12o'clock - that's about unity, I guess.

does this even make sense to y'all?

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
TNO
Friend of Leo's

The UD is more of a distortion pedal than an overdrive but sounds so smooth and articulate that I'm fine using something else for low-gain tones.
TNO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
I ordered the blue delay pedal last night. It's digital but the voice is supposed to be warmer/analog-like the way the Carl Martin Red Repeat is built. $39 + $2 shipping from Hong Kong.

Affordable fun.....that's for sure. The delay will take 2-3 weeks to get to my mail box.
The "blue delay pedal" isn't blue anymore. It's grey now:

I bought one just after Christmas. At $40.00 delivered from Hong Kong, it's got to be the best bargain out there. It's well-made, appears sturdy, and it sounds terrific (upon hearing it for the first time, a good friend - who designs effects pedals for a living - said, "It sounds as good as any other delay pedal I've heard." From him, that's very high praise indeed!).

The Joyo delay would literally be a bargain at twice the price. Thank the Good Lord (and the Chinese) that they don't charge that much!
soulgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2012, 04:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I had it backwards.....I thought blue was the new one and grey was the old one. They sell both styles on eBay. The ad that I bought made it sound like blue was new.....

I guess that I get to wait and see!

It doesn't bother me that the sweet spot on the Ultimate Drive gain knob is rather low. Most pedals have sweet spots. I don't think that the sweet spot position makes or breaks a pedal so long as the pedal gives a tone that you love. Sweet spot is 9 o'clock....(so what?). (-: