DigiTech: RP500 vs. RP1000 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 7th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

DigiTech: RP500 vs. RP1000

Well, I don't actually need all the firepower that the RP1000 offers, so I thought I'd check out the RP500, for $100 less money.

After nosing around a bit, I found that the RP500 didn't originally have a looper (but now it does?) and had issues with the harmonizer effect, as well a general EQ issues. I also noticed that it doesn't have an on/off switch, nor does it have an external looper jack for operating the looper remotely.

What exactly are the dings against the RP500 and are those issues resolved in the RP1000?

My only requirements are an all-in-one with amp/cab/fx modeling, volume/wah pedal and phrase looper. Is there something better out there?

Thanks.

Old January 7th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderGuy53 View Post
Well, I don't actually need all the firepower that the RP1000 offers, so I thought I'd check out the RP500, for $100 less money.
There are also a lot more of the RP500s out there on the used market, at least around here.

I paid $160 for an absolutely mint one a few months ago.

Quote:
After nosing around a bit, I found that the RP500 didn't originally have a looper (but now it does?) and had issues with the harmonizer effect, as well a general EQ issues. I also noticed that it doesn't have an on/off switch, nor does it have an external looper jack for operating the looper remotely.

What exactly are the dings against the RP500 and are those issues resolved in the RP1000?
I haven't heard anything about these problems, but I would be surprised if the RP500 was any different than the RP1000 as far as they go, as they are all running the same chip, just with more or less options enabled/not relative to price.

I've fiddled with the harmonizer and it seemed to work...how well, I dunno, but it did go through the options as I scrolled through them in X-Edit.

I don't have any idea what you mean by "general EQ issues." That's not really a meaningful term.

My first impression is that the effects/models are pretty weak and muddy, if that's what you mean, and sound like they need some pretty severe EQ work to tighten them up, but that could also mean I'm not running these cranked enough in volume.

I wanted a good c.1970 lead fuzz sound the other night and brought up all the fuzz models in X-Edit, and they all sounded just alike and like crap and nothing like the actual stomps they were modeling.

I could be doing something wrong here, I dunno.

Yeah, the firmware update gives you the looper on the RP500. I believe it's twenty seconds, but I'm not sure as I've never used it.

It does not have an on/off switch, which seems to be an endangered species throughout the industry.

No, it doesn't have looper jacks.

My own take on this thing is that I wouldn't pay new RP1000 kind of money for this seemingly low quality of effects, and they're all off the same chip, as I said -- if it's X amp and Y cab, it's going to be exactly the same on a RP90 or a RP1000, if it's enabled.

I just got this thing so I could use two or three of the proprietary DigiTech expression effects for about eight to ten seconds in a single song I'm recording, so my expectations are modest, but I don't think that beyond that the sound I'm getting out of these so far is usable, at least not with a lot more treatment upstream in the recording path.

But I'm open to suggestions from more experienced users.

Old January 9th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the input.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 9th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I can tell you from my experience with the rp500 that it will severely alter you tone! Even when turning the amp models off and just using it for effects, it really sounds like crap! Sold mine after about a month and a half. Will never go that route again.

Old January 9th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telebrand View Post
I can tell you from my experience with the rp500 that it will severely alter you tone! Even when turning the amp models off and just using it for effects, it really sounds like crap! Sold mine after about a month and a half. Will never go that route again.
Yeah, I've decided to wait until after NAMM 2012 to decide on a multi-fx unit. I understand that Fender is entering the multi-fx foray with its own Fender Mustang Floorboard @ $300. I'm sure that the other multi-fx companies (e.g., BOSS, DigiTech and Line 6) will be coming out with guns blazing, too.

Old January 14th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderGuy53 View Post
After nosing around a bit, I found that the RP500...had issues with the harmonizer effect
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchoret View Post
I've fiddled with the harmonizer and it seemed to work...how well, I dunno, but it did go through the options as I scrolled through them in X-Edit.
After seeing this, I tried fiddling with the Harmonizer effect a little more the other night in X-Edit and found it occasionally "lost" the effect until the profile was closed and reopened.

Is that the problem you heard about?

[Later:] I eventually found reference to the problem with the harmonic flutter in the v2.0 firmware. Haven't experienced it but will give it a shot later.