Any BB Preamp Clones? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 28th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Any BB Preamp Clones?

Hi All.

I absolutely love the tone of the BB preamp, itís my favourite dirt pedal, in fact its probably my favourite pedal.

I was wondering however is there a clone of it (I should mention that I can get in the UK) as I donít have £170 for a pedal at the moment.

In another thread someone did mention the CALINE CP-18 OVERDRIVE but there isnít a seller of that pedal In the Uk (that I know of).

Any suggestions?

My only pleas are that its below £50 ( tight budget I know) and In a metal case.

Ed.D.R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Dano transparent od V1 or V2
Knock the gain to 1 or 2 on a linear scale..barely on.
30-50 US Dol
All you really need to know for the moment is that the universe is a lot more complicated than you might think, even if you start from a position of thinking itís pretty damn complicated in the first place......"D.Adams"
uriah1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Isn't the BB preamp based off of a BluesBreaker? So in theory you could find something based off the blues breaker...

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 28th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Nah... Its a TS variant with better tone controls. (http://www.jhspedals.com/jhspedals/O...Unveiling.html)

Honestly, there are a million threads about TS circuits around these parts and they all descend into arguments over minutia. I don't see a problem with actually using an actual TS or a modded one (Silver, Keeley, etc), because they will all get you into the same ballpark.

Old December 28th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by uriah1 View Post
Dano transparent od V1 or V2
Knock the gain to 1 or 2 on a linear scale..barely on.
30-50 US Dol
Made of plastic, I have only had bad run'ins with plastic pedals.

Old December 28th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaCLS View Post
Isn't the BB preamp based off of a BluesBreaker? So in theory you could find something based off the blues breaker...
I have a Bluesbreaker 2 which sucks and has been replaced with a Joyo Vintage overdrive (which I know your a fan off)

Old December 28th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by artdecade View Post
Nah... Its a TS variant with better tone controls. (http://www.jhspedals.com/jhspedals/O...Unveiling.html)

Honestly, there are a million threads about TS circuits around these parts and they all descend into arguments over minutia. I don't see a problem with actually using an actual TS or a modded one (Silver, Keeley, etc), because they will all get you into the same ballpark.
IMO TS pedals dont have the same warmth of a BB really thick tone.

Old December 28th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstars26

Made of plastic, I have only had bad run'ins with plastic pedals.
The dano cool cats are metal enclosures.
damaged is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

It's a TS with a baxandall tone stack, so it won't do the 'pushed-mids' thing like a regular TS.
rackham is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
It's a TS with a baxandall tone stack, so it won't do the 'pushed-mids' thing like a regular TS.
This is exactly what I've heard as well. Besides having additional/better Eq'ing control from the baxendall tone stack, there are another 2 additional gain stages(4 total) as opposed to 2 with the typical TS type pedal. Unlike what some other folks say, I did hear a bit of TS in the tone at times. I suppose they have the mids voiced a bit differant though? I'd love to see what the CALINE CP-18 OVERDRIVE is all about too Blackstars26. If you have a chance, see if you can check out the Visualsound Garagetone drivetrain. I've read that the circuitry is very similiar between the BB & the Drivetrain. A few members here have made this claim as well as a few other reviews I read on other sites.

Here is an older thread and what was said about the BB and the old Reverand drivetrain(garagetone DT)
Quote:
The BB is the most TS like.The first gain stage signal DOES go into the noninverted input just like a screamer, HP filtering and gain is the same, 51pF cap to bleed off the highs (from a pair of 1N4148 stock-ish diodes) is there. The 2nd gain stage is basically that of the tone circuit from a TS, with a fixed 10K resistor in place of a 20K tone pot (replicates tone knob set to noon). The third gain stage is mainly a boost (vaguely similar to a MXR Micro Amp almost maxxed out), and the final stage is the Baxandall tone circuit that's used in the RC/AC.

The BB really reminds me of the Reverend Drivetrain II, which essentially uses the same circuit (I traced it out). But the DT II isn't made any more, and it has a clunky big box (Visual Sound designed it for Naylor).
PrimeA71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Visual Sound Drivetrain

The Visual Sound Garagetone Drivetrain is a cheaper version of the original Drivetrain.
And the original Drivetrain is supposed to be the same as the BB Preamp.
At one time I owned a BB Preamp and an original Drivetrain, they did sound the same to my ears.
And I have owned the Garagetone Drivetrain, it sounds pretty close, not built as well as the BB Preamp but it's about 1/3 the cost new and even less used.

http://www.visualsound.net/index.php...rain_overdrive
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackham View Post
Call me A newb but I have no idea what that is
Is it a special circuit?

Old December 29th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaged View Post
The dano cool cats are metal enclosures.
Really?? It seems I have had them wrong and take back everything I said.
My first pedals when I started playing were Dano Fab pedals and they were plastic So I presumed they all were.

Old December 29th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeA71 View Post
This is exactly what I've heard as well. Besides having additional/better Eq'ing control from the baxendall tone stack, there are another 2 additional gain stages(4 total) as opposed to 2 with the typical TS type pedal. Unlike what some other folks say, I did hear a bit of TS in the tone at times. I suppose they have the mids voiced a bit differant though? I'd love to see what the CALINE CP-18 OVERDRIVE is all about too Blackstars26. If you have a chance, see if you can check out the Visualsound Garagetone drivetrain. I've read that the circuitry is very similiar between the BB & the Drivetrain. A few members here have made this claim as well as a few other reviews I read on other sites.

Here is an older thread and what was said about the BB and the old Reverand drivetrain(garagetone DT)
Thanks for that in depth answer there!
That visualsound pedal looks good and its below my £50 budget so im going to look into it, cheers.

Old December 29th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I should mention I have just bought a Joyo Vintage Od and a Joyo Ultimate Drive which are being shipped as we type.
Is the drivetrain just a clone of a tube screamer or is it more?

Old December 29th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstars26 View Post
Call me A newb but I have no idea what that is
Is it a special circuit?
The Baxandall tone stack gives you separate control over bass and treble content without (necessarily) futzing with the mids. It's a great design and pops up a lot in hi-fi and a few guitar amps. Works really well in a BMP circuit too.
rackham is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Is the drivetrain just a clone of a tube screamer or is it more?
Here's how visual sound defines the Drivertrain:
DRIVETRAIN OVERDRIVE
Visual Soundís Bob Weil, who co-designed
the original Reverend Drivetrain (now
discontinued), has updated it and repackaged
it in a smaller enclosure. As with
the original Reverend pedalówhich was
my go-to overdrive for yearsóthe new
Drivetrain ($59 street) sounds like a less
compressed Tube Screamer, though the
2-band EQ sure makes it easier to get the
right balance of low-end thump and
top-end presence. The dynamic response
and wide overdrive range of the original
Drivetrain is very much in attendance
here. From clean, relatively transparent
boost to singing sustain and smooth rock
crunch, the new Drivetrain covers it all
while sounding warm and natural.

I suppose it's accurate to say that it is in fact a TS but with better EQ and more gain on tap. But if all the talk about the BB preamp's circuitry is accurate, the BB would fall into this catagory as well. The only description above that don't seem accurate to me is when they say it's "less compressed". I can't speak for the Drivetrain but turn the gain up on the BB and it does seem more compressed to my ears, hence the long singing sustain that can be had from it.
PrimeA71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackham View Post
The Baxandall tone stack gives you separate control over bass and treble content without (necessarily) futzing with the mids. It's a great design and pops up a lot in hi-fi and a few guitar amps. Works really well in a BMP circuit too.
Now I'm more intrigued with the BB than ever--I already have an RC Booster and love it. Also, a Catalinbread Manx Loughtan Fuzz, which also has the baxandall. I LOVE the baxandall--and I LOVE the RC. But I could never 'dig' TS style pedals and I think it's because of the seemingly automatic mid boost--would you use the word "transparent" then, to describe the BB? Now I really want to try one out...also, are there any other TS variants w/ Baxandall to compare and contrast w/ the BB? Thanks.
LakeCountyRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I had a rc and bb and got rid of it awhile ago. I think the tone knobs were so specific it was like a mesa, had to tweak too much. Good quality pedals though. I had one of the orig, that had a bad stomp switch too. I think
they put bigger one in there now.
All you really need to know for the moment is that the universe is a lot more complicated than you might think, even if you start from a position of thinking itís pretty damn complicated in the first place......"D.Adams"
uriah1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

LOL, then it sounds like my kind of pedal because I play a Mesa Boogie Mark 4, and an RC and love to tweak knobs.
LakeCountyRon is offline   Reply With Quote