Best wireless guitar system? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 12th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Best wireless guitar system?

Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a wireless guitar system and I'd like to know your opinions and experiences with them. The reason I'm getting one is because I like to keep the energy rolling during shows, and I like to change guitars quickly. So I'm looking at buying multiple transmitters. I need a receiver that can take up to 4 transmitters. Most importantly, I really need one that isn't going to make me loose any tone whatsoever. I need one that sounds exactly the same as it would with a cable.
Thanks a lot guys. :)

p.s. I was thinking of getting this one just because it already comes with multiple transmitters, but I thought because of the price it's probably going to make me loose a lot of tone: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...-guitar-system

conorcoughlanmu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

My opinion on wireless systems:

Unless you're dropping loads of cash on them, for the really quality ones, ie. $500+, you're probably going to loose loads of tone.

Old July 12th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaCLS View Post
My opinion on wireless systems:

Unless you're dropping loads of cash on them, for the really quality ones, ie. $500+, you're probably going to loose loads of tone.
that's what i'm most worried about - losing tone. i'm willing to spend $500+ on one. also, if you loose so much tone from them, then i wonder how a lot of professional musicians use them and don't loose tone.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 12th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I don't do wireless ( usually too big of a band on too small a stage ) but people seem to really like the new line 6 stuff.
ObjectBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Former Member
Poster Extraordinaire

If I were going to go the wireless route I would choose Line 6.
tazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
mkg
Tele-Meister

Am very happy with the Brace digital wireless. It's simple to use, and neither I nor my bandmates can hear a difference between it and a cable...and it costs less than the Line 6.

Brace wireless
mkg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorcoughlanmu

that's what i'm most worried about - losing tone. i'm willing to spend $500+ on one. also, if you loose so much tone from them, then i wonder how a lot of professional musicians use them and don't loose tone.
They're using $1,000+ systems, that result in very little loss of tone.

The mid/high end shure systems are great. I've also heard lots of good stuff about the new line 6 units, though I can't say I have personal experience with them.

Old July 12th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Good wireless technology is getting cheaper and more accessible.
ObjectBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm a freak about tone. The Line 6 G50 and G30 sound as good as a cable. Really.

The G50 has more channels, a bigger range, a few more controls and a metal - enclosed transmitter, it's worth the extra money over the G30 (which has a plastic transmitter). Extra transmitters are available and work great. The sound of the two units is identical.

In the US, the G50 costs $350-$380 new, extra transmitters for it are $180. The G30 costs $260 new.
Wayne Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Alexander View Post
I'm a freak about tone. The Line 6 G50 and G30 sound as good as a cable. Really.

The G50 has more channels, a bigger range, a few more controls and a metal - enclosed transmitter, it's worth the extra money over the G30 (which has a plastic transmitter). Extra transmitters are available and work great. The sound of the two units is identical.

In the US, the G50 costs $350-$380 new, extra transmitters for it are $180. The G30 costs $260 new.
I was considering the G50! If the reciever has more than 1 channel, that means you can buy multiple transmitters for it and use them on different guitars right? Sorry, I'm new to this wireless stuff.

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:

+1 for the G30. The kicker for me was the 1/4 -> 1/4 transmitter cable. Any patch cord will work. I read about some people having trouble finding replacement cables for the G50. YMMV.

FWIW, I have walked so far from stage that the delay was unplayable before the transmitter crapped out.

And they really do react and sound just like a cable.

You can't go wrong with either one.
LawDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawDaddy View Post
+1 for the G30. The kicker for me was the 1/4 -> 1/4 transmitter cable. Any patch cord will work. I read about some people having trouble finding replacement cables for the G50. YMMV.

FWIW, I have walked so far from stage that the delay was unplayable before the transmitter crapped out.

And they really do react and sound just like a cable.

You can't go wrong with either one.
I'm almost certain I'm gonna go with the g50. It seems to be a popular choice. Just curious, maybe you or someone will know. If I wanted to buy more than one transmitter, how would I go about buying just a separate transmitter?

Old July 13th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

First, the G50 has 12 channels. The first six channels are the same as the G30 so on channels 1-6 you can use either transmitter with either receiver.

Second, if you want to use multiple guitars with one receiver, there are two approaches. (a) What I do is to attach the transmitter to my belt, and simply plug the cable into each guitar as I grab it. Especially if you get cables with a Neutrik Silent Jack, available from Lava here: http://www.lavacable.com/wireless.html (for the G50 order a TA4F connector on the transmitter end and a Silent 1/4 jack on the guitar end), you have no extra noise or issues. or (b) you can mount a transmitter to each guitar strap, make sure to tune them all to the same channel that the receiver's on, and when you switch guitars you have to turn off the transmitter on the previous guitar and turn it on on the guitar you're using. Only one transmitter can be switched on at any time.

Where can you get separate transmitter units? Sweetwater has them, http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TBP12 for the G50 and http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TBP06G30/ for the G30.

Note that the G50 receiver takes a standard 9v negative ground tip connector power cable like nearly everything else, but it needs 250 or more MV, so either use the wallwart that Line 6 gives you or if you're using a Pedal Power 2+ as many do, you need to get a doubling cable from Voodoo Lab (just call, they send them to you in a few days for a few dollars) and plug that into both outlets 5 and 6 on the PP2, to get enough current.

Old July 13th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I am currently saving up for a "Line 6 G30". I would go for the G50 but I don't really need the power upgrade requirements and snazzier packaging for the few gigs I play out at.
Charlie Christian Squier '51 -> H.A. Tiki Drive -> MHP-BD2 Boost/OD -> Rogue Vintage Comp -> Behringer RV600 -> Rogue Analog Delay -> Dano Tuna Melt Tremolo -> TC Electronic Flashback Delay-> Fender Princeton 650
Thighbanez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
First, the G50 has 12 channels. The first six channels are the same as the G30 so on channels 1-6 you can use either transmitter with either receiver.

Second, if you want to use multiple guitars with one receiver, there are two approaches. (a) What I do is to attach the transmitter to my belt, and simply plug the cable into each guitar as I grab it. Especially if you get cables with a Neutrik Silent Jack, available from Lava here: http://www.lavacable.com/wireless.html (for the G50 order a TA4F connector on the transmitter end and a Silent 1/4 jack on the guitar end), you have no extra noise or issues. or (b) you can mount a transmitter to each guitar strap, make sure to tune them all to the same channel that the receiver's on, and when you switch guitars you have to turn off the transmitter on the previous guitar and turn it on on the guitar you're using. Only one transmitter can be switched on at any time.

Where can you get separate transmitter units? Sweetwater has them, http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TBP12 for the G50 and http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TBP06G30/ for the G30.

Note that the G50 receiver takes a standard 9v negative ground tip connector power cable like nearly everything else, but it needs 250 or more MV, so either use the wallwart that Line 6 gives you or if you're using a Pedal Power 2+ as many do, you need to get a doubling cable from Voodoo Lab (just call, they send them to you in a few days for a few dollars) and plug that into both outlets 5 and 6 on the PP2, to get enough current.
Thanks a lot man, that really helped! So I just want to get things straight. If I were to buy multiple transmitters and use one receiver, all I would have to do, is set them all to say channel 1 and when I'm switching guitars turn off the transmitter of the guitar I'm already and turn on the transmitter for the guitar I'm picking up next?

Old July 13th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I got the Line 6 G30 last year. Haven't looked back since! Doesn't eat batteries, has great range and hasn't effected my tone. I've A/B'd with cables and can't tell a difference even at stage volume...PLUS it's just loads of fun and freedom! I tend to "wander" while I play, sometimes in circles and my friends would always get a laugh when I would inevitably get tripped up in my cord. Not any more!

The unit is really easy to just reattach to another strap, or like me, I just use the same strap with straplocks.

I did get rid of the crappy cable that it comes with and use neutrik plugs plus speaker wire gauge patch cable from the transmitter to the guitar. I recommend making one!

Old July 13th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I aint a pro but I cant notice ANY change in tone with my line 6 G30 either.

Being cable free is a godsend!!!
- damn cables, forever kicking, tripping over them....

Another Line 6 Wireless supporter here.
Mad Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Alexander
A lot of those two into one cables double voltage NOT current so make sure you ask for the "current doubler"...

But I'll also say one outlet is plenty to power it up...the voodoo lab guys "pad" their numbers on the literature...it should work fine as long as you're on 5 or 6 like Wayne suggested...they're the higher outputs out of the 8
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaCLS

They're using $1,000+ systems, that result in very little loss of tone.

The mid/high end shure systems are great. I've also heard lots of good stuff about the new line 6 units, though I can't say I have personal experience with them.
I like my line 6 stuff tonewise MUCH more than the outrageously priced Shure I had for a looooong time...the shure was VERY road worthy from a dependability standpoint, but I grew to hate the tone :( I've had a line 6 die on the road but I replaced it with no hesitation...the sound is worth the gamble!
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

conorcoughlanmu,

Yes to the following:

Thanks a lot man, that really helped! So I just want to get things straight. If I were to buy multiple transmitters and use one receiver, all I would have to do, is set them all to say channel 1 and when I'm switching guitars turn off the transmitter of the guitar I'm already and turn on the transmitter for the guitar I'm picking up next?