GFS pedals, any opinions on them - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 27th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

GFS pedals, any opinions on them

I recently bought a GFS Sweet Sparkle Compressor. My intial opinion is it's built very rugged, jacks and switch appear to be heavy duty and long lasting. The wonderful way it makes notes and chords "bloom" as GFS says, is very true. No pumping or swooshing of notes and chords, extremely transparent, non-tone changing and the two controls, output and sensitivity are nicely effective throughout the entire range of sweep.

I am looking to maybe get the Bluesdrive pedal as well.

Does anyone else have any experience with these pedals?

Old June 27th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

My opinion has been formed on the soundclips GFS has on their site and I'm not impressed with their overdrive or distortion pedals.

I think the general consensus here is they're good budget pedals, but if you're looking for quality overdrive or distortion there are better, albeit more expensive, options.

Old June 27th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I gotta admit I do like the Gearmanndude demos of the Greenie Classic and the Brownie Classic; they both sound versatile and powerful in their respective "Tube Screamer type" and "Rat type?" ) domains, IMO.

edit: as they are Biyang pedals I'd go for the smalller MXR -size Biyang 'Baby Boom' series of the same basic pedals just as I dig the smaller size...but that' just me

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 28th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I LOVE my Brownie Classic.
blowtorch is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I reviewed the Bluesdrive favorably. But as it doesn't have a tone control, it will likely be hit or miss depending on the target amp you run it into. Here's a clip of it in action: http://www.frugalguitarist.com/Sound...bluesdrive.mp3

Old June 28th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowtorch View Post
I LOVE my Brownie Classic.
I love the GMD video as he really seems to put it thru its paces- Is there a good range on the Gain and Tone controls?
I play older '60's and '70's rock and blues, need a good powerful singing lead distortion tone once in a while, but would not want to be stuck with an over the top Zak Wilde/more modern distortion (super rich distortion/squealy harmonics)- nothing wrong with that, it is just not my style- but it did seem that the Brownie Classic had the capacity to bring the Gain and high-end Tone down a bit and warm things up, Yes?? Thanks

Old June 28th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Chiogtr4x- It fits the bill of what you describe. There is a 3-mode switch that doesn't fundamentally do a lot, but the gain and tone controls both do have a good range. I also watched the GMD vid and got excited and HAD to have one.

Old June 28th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Chiogtr4x- It fits the bill of what you describe. There is a 3-mode switch that doesn't fundamentally do a lot, but the gain and tone controls both do have a good range. I also watched the GMD vid and got excited and HAD to have one.
You have said all the wrong (right) things here! Gonna have to check one out! thanks, joe

Old June 28th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Not an effects pedal, but I picked up one of their pedal tuners for a small pedal board and wasn't happy with it. The switch had a loud pop, and sometimes did not go from bypass mode to non- bypass. It also didn't seem to track well - I had trouble getting an accurate reading out of it. It's off my board and I'll be trying to sell it. I replaced it with a Korg Pitchblack - more expensive but a better value (because it works).
Teleglide is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

teleglide, I really like my GFS pedal tuner, sorry you've had issues with yours.

Old June 28th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
teleglide, I really like my GFS pedal tuner, sorry you've had issues with yours.
Maybe I got a dud - it happens.
Teleglide is online now   Reply With Quote