Dynacomp or Wampler compressor? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 18th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Dynacomp or Wampler compressor?

I need a compressor like today.....

I need some advice. I am saving for a Wampler ego compressor. I like the sound clips, and I have the hot wired pedal which is great.

But the Dynacomp I see has great reviews and alot of people on this forum use it. And it's a heck of alot cheaper...

Am I saving just to blow money on a name, and should go get the Dynacomp today? Or is the extra coinage well worth it in the sound?

All advice welcome..... Wampler ego compressor, or mxr Dynacomp??

(I play direct to pa. Guitar, hot wired, boosta grande, tech 21 blonde, pa.)

bray83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I'd suggest a third option: The Whirlwind Rochester Series Red Box. This is the original script DynaComp circuit, with the addition of true bypass and LED. It sounds incredible, it really cops the scrip DynaComp sound. It should, as it was designed by one of the guys from the original MXR company to be just like the original, only with the updgrades (TB and LED). I highly recommend it over any of the Dunlop products. I got mine in mint condition with box and papers for less than $80 from Ebay, and it is one of the early ones that is hand-signed inside by the designer. It is everything I wanted in a script Dyna-Comp sound. Check it out.

Al
zombiwoof is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

IMO a good compressor is worth saving for. I had a dyna comp and didn't like it, some do...
I have a Hartman compressor now and like it. The best one I have heard is from Wilson Effects. That will be my next one when I get the money. Truly awesome.
I am sure Wampler is pretty good but never played one. I also hear good things about analogman, but I made my decision months ago about wilson. Good luck.
RubyRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 18th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Another good option is the BBE Bench Press, it's a little larger box, but it is the Ross Comp circuit (which was an improved DynaComp), with true bypass, LED, and addded attack control, which makes it more versatile than the original. I'm torn between the BBE and the Red Box, both are awesome, and not too expensive. The attack control on the BBE gives it a slight edge, and BBE pedals are well-made with good components, and their support is first-rate. Just another choice to consider.

Al
zombiwoof is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Wilson Effects make great stuff so I would have to say that Kevin's compressor is worth the money. But I have to also suggest the Barber Tone Press. It has the advantage of the "blend" knob so you can mix the sound of your uncompressed signal with the compressed one. You can also adjust the internal trim pot to achieve a more "Dynacomp" sound if you choose to do so.

The thing about compressors that you have to keep in mind is "a little dab will do ya'." You don't need to be aggressive with the effect or else you will get a "breathing" type noise.

If you're going into a PA and your are looking to spend the amount of money that an Wampler product costs I suggest this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...=1&zmap=threeQ

For $250 you are getting a studio quality mic-pre, optical compressor, and an EQ which can easily be put into a rack or near the PA. Neither the Wampler or Keeley offer this. Plus it can serve double duty for recording.

Of course it does come in pedal form
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/floorQ/
vjf1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2011, 04:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks guys. I have never bought a compressor. But when I used my processor, I left the comp on all the time. So I am not sure if the Dynacomp sound is what I want or if I want a blend knob type.

I do know that you get what you pay for, most of the time! So I am willing to shell out for what I believe will be an important part of my sound.

I have heard the names pop up quite a bit such as Ross, barber, etc. Are these kind of the benchmarks?
bray83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bray83
Thanks guys. I have never bought a compressor. But when I used my processor, I left the comp on all the time. So I am not sure if the Dynacomp sound is what I want or if I want a blend knob type.

I do know that you get what you pay for, most of the time! So I am willing to shell out for what I believe will be an important part of my sound.

I have heard the names pop up quite a bit such as Ross, barber, etc. Are these kind of the benchmarks?
I had never used a compressor before, got the Wampler to try and I LOVE it. Couldn't imagine not having it now. Blend knob does wonders.

Old June 18th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have 2 Wampler dirt pedals and they are fantastic. I'm sure their compressor is great. I have 5 compressors and I use a Carl Martin and a HBE on my pedal board.
gitold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I would get the Wampler....or perhaps a Barber tone press
Mark N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2011, 01:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I had a Dynacomp, but I sold it. I was never happy with the Dynacomp. I can't really put my finger on what I didn't like about the sound. I just didn't like it. I now have a Wampler, and won't sell it. I don't use compression very often, but I love the Wampler.
My Wampler is the old "Ego Squasher" version. It has three knobs and an attack switch. I've heard of complaints of added brightness in the new version which seems odd as it has a tone control. If anything, the old version seemed to darken the sound just a hair. That's what I hear when I use it anyway.
JayDee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bray83 View Post
I need a compressor like today.....

I need some advice. I am saving for a Wampler ego compressor. I like the sound clips, and I have the hot wired pedal which is great.

But the Dynacomp I see has great reviews and alot of people on this forum use it. And it's a heck of alot cheaper...

Am I saving just to blow money on a name, and should go get the Dynacomp today? Or is the extra coinage well worth it in the sound?

All advice welcome..... Wampler ego compressor, or mxr Dynacomp??

(I play direct to pa. Guitar, hot wired, boosta grande, tech 21 blonde, pa.)
IMO the Dyna Comps have been through several stuructural changes over the past 30 years. Each has it's followers. I did not like the newer ones built in 2005-present. They are cheap and plentyfull. It is realiable though and cound be used as a backup.

DOGMA Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I own the Ego Comp.
Have owned a Dynacomp, Barber Tone Press and a Keeley 4 Knob and a few more.

Its the best comp I've ever played/recorded with so far.
Every comp should have a blend knob!
SockPuppetMasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2011, 12:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

IMHO Visual Sound makes a good comp. I use just a very little to tighten things up. Too much compression alters tone and I wouldn't like that
rokdog49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee View Post
I've heard of complaints of added brightness in the new version which seems odd as it has a tone control. If anything, the old version seemed to darken the sound just a hair. That's what I hear when I use it anyway.
This has been rectified now, the brightening issue is no longer present on the Ego Compressor. All new ones do not have this bright problem like the "older" ones had.
JPW2105 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

There is a reason why the Dynacomp is so much cheaper. But if it's the only comp you ever buy, you'll never know the difference, right?

On the other hand, if it is "a good compressor" that you are after, save your money. There is no substitute for a custom built comp with 4 knobs (or 5 if it's the BYOC). Compressor is one of the most misunderstood fx out there, and it is probably the most tedious pedal to dial in, but worth it if you get a good one and get it set right. IMO, the only other way to get that same effect is to turn your amp up all the way and let the tubes do the compressing for you. Pedals are for people who can't turn their amps up all the way.

CmatMods Deluxe
Barber Tone Press
BYOC 5 Knob Comp
soundchaser59 is offline   Reply With Quote