Daisy chain or multi-pedal power supply? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 13th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Daisy chain or multi-pedal power supply?

Hi everyone,

Im new to pedals and have bought 2 in the past few months, MXR GT-OD and a Big Muff wicker. Ive been using them with batteries but have been thinking about swapping over to a power supply.

Would you recomend using a 9v adapter and daisy chain it or spending the 100+ for a power supply like the voodoo lab pedal power 2?

Are there pros and cons to each?

Planning on getting a wah soon to if that makes a difference...

Thanks for any input.

Jalpow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Depends. If you do professional gigs and also get paid then I'd go for PP2+ for it won't let you down anywhere.

If you just play home and occasionaly jam in the bluesclub then at first you should be OK with daisy chain.

Just a thought, if you have analog pedals with small current needs, get a linear (big transformer kind) one instead of switching (OneSpot and likes), they have more stabile current output.
MarvinSmithers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Also a little different tweak on this same question. I've got an SKB pedal board and am running out of power supply slots. Could I daisy chain a couple of pedals from my Boss TU-2 and not have any adverse effects on my effects?
Charlesinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 13th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

i use a one spot on my board and have not had any problems,and i gig ALOT!!!
Brandon mac is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

It just depends on your pedals. Try a One Spot. If you have no issues compared to batteries, then great, you got off cheap.

If you have problems with noise or other weirdness, you'll need isolated power supplies. Although, sometimes you can narrow it down to a single pedal causing problems and just run it on batteries or on its own standard 9V wall wart, while running the rest on the daisy chain.

Old June 13th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

My 1Spot works great for me. As mentioned, it depends what you need. If you're just playing around the house it'll be fine. If you're a pro and gig, you may want to make an investment for something better.

M

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I am currently using a Powerall which is similar to the Onespot, it does a good job.

However if you buy a Voodolab or the like, it will be a lifetime buy. Probably the last PS you will need to buy.

I will be shortly be investing in a T-Rex chameleon when I expand my board.

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The PP2+ and similar isolated supplies are definitely better than a daisy chain, in absolute, money-is-no-object terms. It is, as Stevics rightly points out, a lifetime buy.

But, for most players, the one-spot or godlyke power-all is a fine solution too. My power-all served me well, no complaints. Either is inexpensive enough (at least here in the US) that you are not likely to feel like you made the wrong decision in purchasing one if you decide to later upgrade to something like the PP2+.
ChipOnly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by middy View Post
It just depends on your pedals. Try a One Spot. If you have no issues compared to batteries, then great, you got off cheap.

If you have problems with noise or other weirdness, you'll need isolated power supplies. Although, sometimes you can narrow it down to a single pedal causing problems and just run it on batteries or on its own standard 9V wall wart, while running the rest on the daisy chain.
Plus 1 on that comment. I am currently running about 8 pedals from my One Spot. I had my Holy Grail Reverb connected when I first got it, but quickly got it's own power supply as there was a hiss with my One Spot when using only that pedal (with the adaptor that works with EH pedals). I just dug out one of my old Boss adaptors, put the one spot EH adaptor on it and now I have no noise as the Holy Grail has it's own power supply and everything else runs clean out of the One Spot. (And that is powering pedals that are split to go into two different amps running through a Morley A/B/Y box with a 9 volt in it.)
TaylorPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 02:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Woah, thanks for all the replys. This forum really does have an abundance of knowledge.

Im in no a way a professional gigger; i just jam along at home and the occasion church gig and so ill be sure to check out the One Spot but i will also take into consideration Marvins advice with the linear power supply.
Jalpow is offline   Reply With Quote