EHX Little Big Muff Pi vs Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 9th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

EHX Little Big Muff Pi vs Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker?

I'm downsizing my Big Muff but can't decide what Muff would fit the bill. Is the Tone Wicker worth the extra? I have read online about some comparisons and seen video comparisons but still don't know what one to choose.

Tele60x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 06:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Love my little big muff but I have never tried the one with the tone wicker.
gitold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 06:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've never played a regular Muff, but the tone/wicker toggles are pretty effective.
Jelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 9th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I tried them both out side by side, and the tone wicker won with no contest. It's only a few dollars more and you get tons more versatility.

Old June 9th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Yeah, I think I'm going to go for the tone wicker.

Old June 9th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

The tone wicker is my favorite big muff being made right now. I love it. It does the big muff sound and a more straight up distortion. Great pedal.

Old June 9th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

If you really want to save on pedalboard space, get a stomp under foot pedal.

The Violet Ram's Fuzz head is my favourite fuzz.

http://www.stompunderfoot.com/
TMoxness is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Check out this page... It lists every Muff in order of evolution.

http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_bi...VersionSummary

Old June 9th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Eh, I don't know. From the clips I like how the little big muff sounds but the tone wicker also has some novelty to it.

Old June 9th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Wow. I REALLY want one of those SUF Pumpkin Pis now.

Old June 10th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I purchased the Big Muff (NYC) with Tone Wicker, and I sent it back within a week.

It was just noisy. It sounded absolutely terrible with my Orange. It sounded "decent", but not very useful at all with my Classic 30.

Honestly, the TS9DX provides the boost which can simulate some of that "fuzz" (The Big Muff adds more than "fuzz"...it adds extra crappy noise), and the TS9DX also improves on the sustain substantially. Make sure you have a Tube Screamer in the bag before a Big Muff, because I think that's really all you need is a tube screamer as the main stomp box. The Fulltone OCD is probably next.

I just found the Big Muff to be a useless pedal, sorry. Try before you buy.
FenderNashville is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure if this is helpful but I have an original Big Muff and Little Big Muff. The Big Muff is sweet, soaring and violin-like. The LBM is ok but nothing special.

Old June 11th, 2011, 12:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderNashville View Post
I purchased the Big Muff (NYC) with Tone Wicker, and I sent it back within a week.

It was just noisy. It sounded absolutely terrible with my Orange. It sounded "decent", but not very useful at all with my Classic 30.

Honestly, the TS9DX provides the boost which can simulate some of that "fuzz" (The Big Muff adds more than "fuzz"...it adds extra crappy noise), and the TS9DX also improves on the sustain substantially. Make sure you have a Tube Screamer in the bag before a Big Muff, because I think that's really all you need is a tube screamer as the main stomp box. The Fulltone OCD is probably next.

I just found the Big Muff to be a useless pedal, sorry. Try before you buy.
The guy already likes his Big Muff and just wants a smaller one. A Tube Screamer, which sounds NOTHING like a Big Muff, probably isn't what he wants. They're completely different. Same with the OCD, it's an awesome overdrive, but he's probably looking for the totally awesome sound that only a Big Muff (or clone) can give him.

I have a Big Muff and a Little Big Muff. I do kinda wish I had looked around for a Tone Wicker, but I'm happy without it. I like how the LBM sounds, extra options are always nice, though.

Old June 11th, 2011, 03:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameage View Post
The guy already likes his Big Muff and just wants a smaller one. A Tube Screamer, which sounds NOTHING like a Big Muff, probably isn't what he wants. They're completely different. Same with the OCD, it's an awesome overdrive, but he's probably looking for the totally awesome sound that only a Big Muff (or clone) can give him.

I have a Big Muff and a Little Big Muff. I do kinda wish I had looked around for a Tone Wicker, but I'm happy without it. I like how the LBM sounds, extra options are always nice, though.
YES, I love how my Big Muff sounds it's just I want a smaller enclosure.

Old June 11th, 2011, 03:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I got a Little Big Muff because my Big Muff doesn't fit on my pedalboard...I don't mean there isn't room for it, I mean it physically doesn't fit because my board is made of hard plates in a box. I can tell you that the Little Big Muff seems to sound exactly like my Big Muff, so you don't have to worry about the Little Big Muff being worse or anything like that.

Old June 11th, 2011, 06:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I only have a few effects in my pedal bag. The Big Muff Pi "fits" but the top input and output is kinda awkward for my cables I use and I have a lead foot for the hollow enclosure. I'm going to try to buy a Little Big Muff Pi this weekend. The Tone Wicker looks nice but I honestly don't think I would use the switches to warrant me spending extra for it. Thanks for the help.

Old June 11th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Tone off, wicker off, vol at about 10:30, sustain at next to nothing (6:30-7:00). This is my favorite tone I can get with any big muff I've had. I run a dynacomp and an Eq pedal with the mids boosted in front of it. I sometimes stack it with a Cbread DLS too. Amazing tones. I think the little extra you pay for the wicker is more than worth it. I've had the NYC, not the little big muff though.

Old June 11th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I went with the Little Big Muff Pi. I had the money for that. It will be fun to compare them before I sell the Big Big Muff Pi.