Does EHX ever make anything that's 100% great ? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 1st, 2011, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Does EHX ever make anything that's 100% great ?

Well - ok, let me qualify.

I did have a Big Muff w/ Tone wicker that did what it was supposed to do but wasn't the fuzz sound I was looking for.

But come on - the noise level of some of their pedals is just re-donkulous.

I got a Cathedral - a reverb a lot of folks would love to have - which is a 2 yr old brand-new product/brand-new technology.

I was stunned at how noisy it was.

Got rid of it and grabbed a Line 6 Verbzilla which was better. A Line 6 product !

Recently got a Wiggler trem/vibrato pedal which introduces an unbelievable amount of gain into your signal. I'm going to do some tube substitutions before I let this one go just because it has some cool sounds and it was $80 but come on...

It's always something w/ those guys.

Do they make anything (besides the fuzzes) that just does what it's supposed to w/out any *asterisks* ?

Old June 1st, 2011, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

My pedalboard currently has a double muff, a memory toy, a holy stain, and an LPB-1. I haven't noticed any undue noise from any of them.

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have a few ehx pedals and have never had a problem.
cheapgtrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

This is usually why I steer clear of EHX products. Had a old Big Muff Pi and that thing was noisy as heck. Had a Holy Grail reverb which was also noisy. What gets me is the size of some of their pedals seems to be a little on the excessive side. Especially when you replace a battery and see that there is not that much going on component wise to warrant such a large enclosure.

Also, I am not a fan of any pedal that uses a tube.
vjf1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

As far as I know EHX doesn't make Tele's, so Nope they don't make anything that's 100% great.

EDIT:
Serious now:
My EHX pedals are quite noisy but not in an annoying way, it kind of gives a vinyl-vibe/vintage 60's like vibe.

"What would Rock 'n Roll be without Feedback?"
rubcub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I love EHX pedals. I have owned several and they have typical noise that most pedals have.
Tele60x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

It's all part of their charm and why we love 'em!

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not a pedal guy, but I recent;ly bought a memory boy as I wanted to get a little more "modern" with my clean electric jazz sound.

I'm very impressed. Seems to introduce no noise to my signal.
jazztele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I had the Knockout, which sounded good but was noisy. Perhaps a dud? Either way, it went back. LPB1 quit working when I tried to take the knob off in order to put a different one on that's easier to "foot adjust". However, the Hum Debugger works pretty well. I wish it could get rid of amp hum, but that's irrelevant. It decreases pedal noise very well and I like it.
JeradP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 03:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Let's see...I've had no problems at all with the Small Stone or Small Clone in the old enclosures. I've had battery vs. adapter problems with a Big Muff in the old enclosure, but I took out the battery and now it works great. I've had no problems with the Little Big Muff. I had a clock noise and a feedback problem with the Deluxe Memory Boy, but those were both fixed by giving it its own power supply instead of using my Power Pad. I've had no problems with the Metal Muff. The only pedal I'm not completely satisfied with is the #1 Echo, because it makes everything quiet. It sounds good, though, and it's not really a big deal since I don't use it on my board (the DMB replaced it), it stays in my bedroom (along with the regular Big Muff), so a quieter signal isn't really a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjf1968
What gets me is the size of some of their pedals seems to be a little on the excessive side.
Well, that's because they like to sell vintage-looking pedals to people. The XO/Nano stuff is much more modern-sized, and durable, too, so you can pick whether you want a cool-looking pedal in a giant, flimsy enclosure, or a compact and durable pedal in a less stylish enclosure.

Old June 1st, 2011, 03:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjf1968 View Post
This is usually why I steer clear of EHX products. Had a old Big Muff Pi and that thing was noisy as heck. Had a Holy Grail reverb which was also noisy. What gets me is the size of some of their pedals seems to be a little on the excessive side. Especially when you replace a battery and see that there is not that much going on component wise to warrant such a large enclosure.

I have owned a Big Muff- no issues but just not my sound, and got a Holy Grail about a year or so after they came out- it had noise issues that sounded almost like an electric drill in the background, as well as a switch that had a mind of its own...

Still may try a Double Muff though!

Old June 1st, 2011, 04:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Me neither but when I found out the Wiggler has an internal step-up transformer to actually run the right amount of current through it I said - ok.

Plus it was less than half the cost of a new one.

I'll sub in some other tubes and see where it goes from there.

Old June 1st, 2011, 04:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I had a noisy experience with the early Nano series Big Muff, and I had to get rid of it. But other than that one, I've had nothing but good results with their stuff. My late '70's/early '80's Small Stone is surprisingly quiet, as are my Russian Big Muff, LPB-1, and Nano Clone.

But having said that, E-H makes some quirky, goofy, wacky stuff like nobody else. I can see why the company invokes a love/hate relationship among many people.

There's always a little hum in my rig, but I can't blame it solely on one pedal or another. Sometimes it's my Tele!

Old June 1st, 2011, 04:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The Nano Series seems to have the bugs worked out. I have a Nano Small Stone and an LPB-1 on my main board. I have dumped a few though. The SMMH had a volume drop and my Mem Boy had a volume boost when engaged. I agree with you. I think their R&D/ QC should be tighter.

Edit. Did not see above post. I have not had a problem with the Nano's
k tone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 04:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I had a Big Muff and Small Stone that I liked, and now have a Holy Grail that I liked at first. But now it's noisy. I wonder if the problem is in the wall wart and not the pedal.

Old June 1st, 2011, 04:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've had bad luck with EHX too. Noisy pedals. I haven't tried them all tho'.
RockerDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 04:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

My experience: noisy and unreliable.

Old June 1st, 2011, 04:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I've got a POG2 on my board. It's kind of amazing. It's quiet and sounds great. Not really a vintage style box... I haven't been able to work it too much into the stuff I'm playing right now, however.

Old June 1st, 2011, 05:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

This may be off topic but I was just at GC and they had the new(er) DMM Nano on clearance for around $250 (that's about $100 off!). I wonder if EHX is discontinuing it. People seem to like the old big box DMM better. I've never seen a demo of them side by side, but I sure would like to.

My problem with the Nano (smaller box) pedals is that they screw the bottoms on so tight at the factory. I know it sounds petty but with every EHX pedal I've owned (Little Big Muff, BMPwTW, Memory Boy, etc) I've stripped out the phillips head slots trying to open 'em up.
ModalMood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 05:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
bo
Friend of Leo's

No they don't. Most people who fetishize their vintage stuff usually weren't around when EH covered what is now the Danelectro end of the market. It was flimsy,signal loading crap then and not much better now. Don't get me started on their tubes...
bo is offline   Reply With Quote