What does a noise gate do to fuzz pedals? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 7th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

What does a noise gate do to fuzz pedals?

Hiya,
The ol' pedal board is starting to get a bit messy sounding and I was wondering what a noise gate would do to my beloved fuzz pedals. They're not your standard Big Muff but more a long the lines of DeviEver disaster fuzz thing, the whole point is that they go a bit crazy and I am worried a noise gate will clip off bits I really quite wanted.
Whatcha think?

Twangasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Setting a gate properly takes some tweaking as you probably know. What I would do, if you can find a pedal that can do this, is start by setting the gate to reduce - not eliminate - the white noise when your fuzz is on but you're not playing anything and your guitar volume is up full.

IMHO, setting the gate or noise suppressor this way pretty much ensures that anything you would normally hear over the din of white noise generated by your fuzz-o-rama would pass through the gate.
lefty73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The thing about Devi Ever's pedals is that there are usually multiple gates in quite a few of her models. Using your guitar volume can work as quite a gatekeeper, without actually sacrificing volume. Aside from the killer slabs of fuzz that are at my disposal, the characteristic I really like in her peadals is how my guitar's volume knob acts like an extension of the pedal.
tele salivas is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 7th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Yeah the DeviEver pedals are great, don't have one sitting on the board at the moment but I have a Shoegazer that I muck around with quite often and one of those Mangler type things somewhere? The pedal I am talking about in this thread is actually a Secret Seasons "Snowdrift", what used to be a Penny Pedal "Fingerprint", its sort of the v2.0.

Mostly what I need this thing for is all my other pedals EXCEPT the fuzz, I love the fuzz as crazy as it is and I don't want to be turning off the noise gate everytime I turn it on. Lefty, I was going to go for the ISP G-String considering everybody seemed to think it was quite good and the whole effects loop coverage with the one pedal sounded pretty good but I think the MXR smartgate has a feature similar to what your talking about, I suppose the real trick will be balancing it between get a decent amount of noise away from the overdrive/distortion without messing with the fuzz :/
Twangasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Sucks tone
DOGMA Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2011, 03:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I'm with Dogma Dunn on this, noise gates are the most unnecessary thing ever.

You'd be surprised as to what is really causing the noise sometimes.
I just shielded some of the wires in my tele and a lot of my pedals have less noise.

Old April 9th, 2011, 04:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

What those guys said. You can fix noise problems through other areas. Unless you are playing arenas or 6,000 seat theatres, noise gates will give you a limp one.
tele salivas is online now   Reply With Quote