Boss 59 bassman pedal - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 6th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Boss 59 bassman pedal

I personally have no use for distortion pedals or gain buttons. American Tele straight into the amp. Boss RV5, Boss DD7 for leads, and a Boss CH1 every now and then. Amps: New Pro Jr 111 with a Weber Signature speaker, Blues Jr 111 with a Cannabis Rex speaker, and a Fender Ultralite Jazzmaster if I need lots of clean volume. 250 watts worth.

I recently added a Boss 59 Bassman pedal to these amps. Tell you what. It is one of the best things I have done for tone and balls. Its not a distortion pedal. Its more a preamp in front of your pedal chain. You can look at it as it turns your guitar or amp if you like into a 59 Bassman. But it doesn't weigh 50 pounds. My solid state Jazzmaster is super clean. Run up the volume and its still super clean but louder. Add the Bassman pedal and stand back. Its now a 250 watt tone monster. The little Pro Jr I like it just cranked but the pedal does the same to it. In my opinion the only thing the Blues Jr has going for it is it is not in the 40 to 70 pound class of tube amps. Even with the new speaker Fender puts in it, the little PJ sounds more Fender tube to me. If I had not got a smokin deal on the BJ I would have never bought it. The Cannabis Rex helps with the piercing treble tones. OK enough BJ bashing. I ran the Bassman pedal into the BJ and it just became a smoker. Now we are talking turkey here. I have never done the mods everyone talks about to the little amps. May as well just buy a Deluxe and be done with it. To my thinking this pedal will give you more than you can imagine tone and added volume. It does have gain which I did not even get into. Maybe just on the edge of gain perhaps. OK thats it. Has anyone else tried one of these pedals?

Last edited by Desertcaster; January 6th, 2011 at 01:55 AM.
Desertcaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

When the Boss/Fender "Bassman" and "Deluxe Reverb" pedals first came out, I read the reviews in GP magazine, I thought I might want to try out the "Bassman" pedal. I gig with either a '68 Deluxe Reverb or a Blues Jr. and use a few different OD's- a Blues Driver with the BJ (ON at lower Gain most of the time, as it increases my amp's headroom, "gooses" the amp with little more "presence" as well as rolls into a nice OD from the guitar knob...), and a Dano TOD with the Deluxe Reverb (with this amp, more as a lead pedal as the DR has more volume than the BJ)

The next time I went to the local GC to get some strings or whatever, I did try the Boss "Bassman" pedal with a Tele and a new Blues Jr., (albeit quickly and at low volume) and truthfully it did not do anything that sounded near as good as what I get out of my Blues Driver thru the same guitar/amp. It just sounded unnatural to me; if something does not sound good to me in a matter of minutes (or maybe even seconds) I just move on, I guess.

edit: I wonder if perhaps both of these pedals might work better with a more "neutral" power amp setup like Tech 21's Power Engine or Crate's Power Block , than in front of a Fender amp...

Last edited by Chiogtr4x; January 6th, 2011 at 10:26 AM.
Chiogtr4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2011, 01:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Suggested amp settings are pretty much 12:00 on Bass, Mid 2:00 and Treble 12:00. I knock the treble down. I set the pedal at 12:00 across the board for now. It just seems to boost the tone control settings to me. But a Deluxe Reverb is to me is a super sound. Don't need much pedals with that.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 10th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

To reiterate this is not a gain distortion pedal. I is more an amp simulation pedal. Or like a preamp in front of your amp.

Old January 10th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The fact that you're running your Bassman pedal through a super-clean solid state amp probably helps quite a bit. I've always assumed that running a "character" pedal into another (unrelated) tube amp was just a recipe for disaster.
mgwhit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwhit View Post
The fact that you're running your Bassman pedal through a super-clean solid state amp probably helps quite a bit. I've always assumed that running a "character" pedal into another (unrelated) tube amp was just a recipe for disaster.
I agree. It's just jamming the frequencies. Fighting over the same sonic patch of playround. .
tele salivas is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertcaster View Post
I personally have no use for distortion pedals or gain buttons. American Tele straight into the amp. Boss RV5, Boss DD7 for leads, and a Boss CH1 every now and then. Amps: New Pro Jr 111 with a Weber Signature speaker, Blues Jr 111 with a Cannabis Rex speaker, and a Fender Ultralite Jazzmaster if I need lots of clean volume. 250 watts worth.

I recently added a Boss 59 Bassman pedal to these amps. Tell you what. It is one of the best things I have done for tone and balls. Its not a distortion pedal. Its more a preamp in front of your pedal chain. You can look at it as it turns your guitar or amp if you like into a 59 Bassman. But it doesn't weigh 50 pounds. My solid state Jazzmaster is super clean. Run up the volume and its still super clean but louder. Add the Bassman pedal and stand back. Its now a 250 watt tone monster. The little Pro Jr I like it just cranked but the pedal does the same to it. In my opinion the only thing the Blues Jr has going for it is it is not in the 40 to 70 pound class of tube amps. Even with the new speaker Fender puts in it, the little PJ sounds more Fender tube to me. If I had not got a smokin deal on the BJ I would have never bought it. The Cannabis Rex helps with the piercing treble tones. OK enough BJ bashing. I ran the Bassman pedal into the BJ and it just became a smoker. Now we are talking turkey here. I have never done the mods everyone talks about to the little amps. May as well just buy a Deluxe and be done with it. To my thinking this pedal will give you more than you can imagine tone and added volume. It does have gain which I did not even get into. Maybe just on the edge of gain perhaps. OK thats it.
Has anyone else tried one of these pedals?
I love that pedal.

My SG -->Boss FBM-1 -->50W Bassman = eVille

Boss's best kept secret.

Got mine used for $75.00

Old January 24th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Little late to this thread, but I also run a Boss FBM-1 into my Jazzmaster Ultralight. Coincidence? I'd never guess some one else had the same rig!

What a great combo. I've done a ton of gigs over the last year with that combo, mainly for straight ahead blues. The Jazzmaster sounds great into the PA, and the FBM-1 really warms up the front end, and makes it more squishy like a tube pre-amp.

I've even done gigs (on both guitar and bass) where I run the FBM-1 straight into a PA for coffee house gigs. Doing it again this weekend :)

Definitely Boss' best-kept secret.
LawDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

any thoughts on how the reverb is on the delux reverb?i want to try one but not for the price of one new here :P
slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
any thoughts on how the reverb is on the delux reverb?i want to try one but not for the price of one new here :P
It's only usable at very low amounts...otherwise it gets that fake ping, boing, splash thing going on. Otherwise, it's a great pedal...nice trem, decent od.
schenkadere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I've had the Bassman pedal since it came out. I agree with the OP's opinion on the pedal. Sounds really sweet as the main tone for my telecasters.
electrablue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I was using the FDR-1 in front of my Epi Valve Jr combo and it gave me some great blues tones...but the reverb was horrible, so I sold it to fund an FRV-1 which is great. I may get an FBM-1...would pair great with the FRV-1. The Epi is simple one knob amp, so there's not a lot of clash of character going on there...it's a pretty nice and warm vehicle for a character pedal IMO.

Old January 24th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Have any of the users tried goosing the FBM-1 with a boost or OD?

Old January 24th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I love it too. I use it on some songs to get a booming, gainy, hairy sound. It's awesome. You just have to play with the settings for a while until you get the one that you like the most.

WaylonFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenkadere View Post
Have any of the users tried goosing the FBM-1 with a boost or OD?
I just got a Boss OD3 to use with it sometimes. Gives it some really nice dirt.