Why Does Everyone Use Tuner Pedals (vs non-pedals) - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 21st, 2010, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Why Does Everyone Use Tuner Pedals (vs non-pedals)

I'm looking into making a pedalboard with a Boss BCB-60, which has room for 6 pedals (and room for a small non-pedal tuner on the top). I see most of you use a TU-2/3 on your board. I understand that the pedal permits you to mute the signal while you tune, but is there any other benefit for taking up a whole spot on the board?

markesquire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

what's your alternative? one of the headstock clip ons? Rack mount tuner? Tuning fork?

There's no other benefit, except some might use a buffered tuner pedal to buffer their chain, and I'm not 100% sure, but I'd expect some tuners to be much more accurate than a ClipOn (such as the turbo tuner and Korg Pitchblack) . BTW, all pedal tuners that I know of mute the signal (or offers it as an option), not just the Boss. Many will provide daisy chain power for a couple of pedals, but nothing than can't be done better with a One Spot. BTW, doesn't the boss pedal board you're talking about provide a space at the top for the TU-12 style tuner? If I were you, and space is an issue, I'd forgo the Boss pedalboard and get a PedalTrain Jr in a hardcase. You'll have more for at least 8 regular sized pedals and you have the option down the road of putting a Voodoo Labs Power Plus or BBE supa Charger underneath the unit.
Brian blaut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Better visability on stage. I don't think the acuracy is any better.

The small unit has a back lit needle as opposed to big bright flashing lights.

Some of the small models have left and right arrow lights and would probably work just fine.
Ash Telecaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 21st, 2010, 05:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

I don't use a pedal. I keep a tuner on top of my amp, and if I need to tune between songs, I quickly unplug from the amp and into the tuner. Takes maybe three seconds longer than stepping on a pedal, and I can see it better!

Tim
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Armstrong View Post
I don't use a pedal. I keep a tuner on top of my amp, and if I need to tune between songs, I quickly unplug from the amp and into the tuner. Takes maybe three seconds longer than stepping on a pedal, and I can see it better!
That would be the main advantage to a pedal vs. another kind of tuner -- not having to unplug-plug into tuner-tune-unplug-plug into amp whenever you want to check your pitch. It's quicker, and there's less bending over or crouching. Some of us have bad knees!
elicross is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicross View Post
That would be the main advantage to a pedal vs. another kind of tuner -- not having to unplug-plug into tuner-tune-unplug-plug into amp whenever you want to check your pitch. It's quicker, and there's less bending over or crouching. Some of us have bad knees!
I put my guitar amp on top of my bass head, which sits on top of the bass cab. So I don't have to do any bending!

Tim
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I prefer playing out of tune. It makes my playing more avant garde.

Seriously I do tune by ear a lot. It's an old school thing and over the years I've gotten real good at it. I am not opposed to tuners, or stubborn about it, and I use them when I have one in front of me but I'm not in trouble if I don't have one.

Old December 21st, 2010, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitHead View Post
I prefer playing out of tune. It makes my playing more avant garde.

Seriously I do tune by ear a lot. It's an old school thing and over the years I've gotten real good at it. I am not opposed to tuners, or stubborn about it, and I use them when I have one in front of me but I'm not in trouble if I don't have one.
Jack White?
vedt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 05:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I use a Korg AW2-G clip on. I actually feel it tunes better than my Pitchblack did. I sold the Pitchblack.

I still have my Korg DT-1 Digital Chromatic Tuner from the 80's...I think I've only had to change the AA batteries about 4 times in 20 years. Amazing piece of equipment.
schenkadere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedt View Post
Jack White?

No Kidding! He made a career out of being out of tune!

Old December 21st, 2010, 06:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Convenience. That's it. It works great. I just step on it signal is muted, I'm tuned up in no time and down the road. As someone who does a lot of lead vocals, it also allows me to face the crowd and talk to them while I'm tuning, thus keeping the momentum going. Glancing down frequently while I'm making fun of somebody or selling drinks does a lot more to keep the show going than turning around and plugging into something.

Plus, man, no way could I see one of those standard tuners all the way down on the floor at this stage in the game. Even with my glasses on. And I can't play with my glasses on...

Back before tuner pedals were common, I used an AB box and a standard tuner. I'd just click over to the tuner side, tune up, and then click back to the amp side. but I could see those suckers back then, now I can't.

Also, standard tuners run in line can, not always do, but CAN add a lot of noise to your signal chain. The pedals don't.
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 06:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The pedal tuner just makes the board look better. The more flashing lights the better. :-)
tele2313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 06:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Like the dog said, you can tune silently, and the tuner has a buffer built into it which is good for your signal chain.

www.telenator.com
Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 06:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Actually, there's no difference. I also have the BCB-60, and I use an old hand-held Matrix SR5500 tuner...same size as the TU12.

http://www.myspace.com/francisbalagtas
franchelB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 06:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I recently built a home-brew pedal-board and it includes a PitchBlack.....my first tuner EVER. Always did it by ear prior to this. Frikkin' love it.....especially when going back and forth between standard and open "G" tuning, for instance.
BrassNut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 06:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I mostly use a TU-2 for the flashing lights....

Old December 21st, 2010, 06:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

The Peterson does not have to mute the signal, but it does eat batteries then. But no-one like to hear a guitar being tuned at stage volume. Having it audible is useful for intonation.

A clip-on tuner is all that is necessary when performing. And you can roll your vol down to zero. They do look silly and they fall off. Guitar should be tuned before going on stage, and a tele will stay in tune for weeks.

The band needs to be tuned to the same pitch. If the band has a real piano, you have to tune to that - tuners are useless, you will be obligated to do it the old way.

Old December 21st, 2010, 06:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My amp has a tuner line out and a switch to mute the output when I'm tuning, so I usually use that. A true bypass tuner pedal is usually the most convenient in a stage situation - they are easy to use and see.
dugums is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 06:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Does anybody remember the Sabine tuners from the 90's? They stuck right to the front of your guitar? Little oblong things?

Those suckers worked GREAT! Wish they still made them. Or do they? They looked goofy, but good golly they worked great. Somewhere there's pics of me in box from a whole tour when I used one of those. Stuck right to my tele, right on the upper bout.
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 06:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenkadere View Post
I use a Korg AW2-G clip on. I actually feel it tunes better than my Pitchblack did. I sold the Pitchblack.
I hear ya! I love my Planet Waves clit on, beats most pedal tuners I tried.
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote