SD-1 vs TS-808/9 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 21st, 2010, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

SD-1 vs TS-808/9

I have some birthday and Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket, and I am planning on picking up one of these types of overdrives. I understand that they are practically identical, but that the Tube Screamer family have symmetrical clipping, while the SD-1 and its iterations (Fulldrive II, etc) retain the tube-screamer mid hump, but have asymmetrical clipping. I'm looking for general opinions here, not a stock SD-1 vs Keeley-modded TS, or vice versa matchup-fest. Stock vs Stock, or Modded vs. Modded, on equal footing, which do you prefer?

I have a Visual Sound Route 66 and generally like it, but go back and forth. I'm probably going to sell the Rt 66 and get a compressor that puts out less noise, it's almost unusably loud.

Inform me, TDPRI!

markesquire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Consider also the Boss BD-2. Many say it's similar to the TS, but responds better to picking (i.e. the harder you pick, the more overdrive you'll get).
vedt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I find the Blues Driver to be a different animal than the SD/TS type.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 21st, 2010, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Yes, BD-2 is totally different. And better for me :)

Old December 21st, 2010, 12:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedt View Post
Consider also the Boss BD-2. Many say it's similar to the TS, but responds better to picking (i.e. the harder you pick, the more overdrive you'll get).

The Blues Driver is NOT like a TS type; it has a flatter EQ (very little mids, and preserves your guitar>amp tone)- it has a lot more Gain on tap too, but can get fizzy if you turn the Gain and Tone controls up too high. It is very dynamic though with moderate (say NOON-1:00) settings on the Level and Gain controls you can go from clean to OD with your guitar. IMO its great having both a TS/SD-1 type and a BD-2- two great OD flavors.
Chiogtr4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by markesquire View Post
I find the Blues Driver to be a different animal than the SD/TS type.

Yeah, in a word........harsh
But I must be in the minority here,wouldnt be the first time!
FWIW, I prefer my Bad Monkey to my mij SD-1 or TS-9
If its transparent you want,the OCD actually accomplishes what the BD-2 attempts to do.
czech-one-2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 12:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Wow, I concede that the BD-2 does fizz at medium Gain and Tone levels (past NOON, but I've, learned how to work with it for years), but as a clean boost/low Gain OD it just warms up my Fender amps with a little distortion (very adjustable) w/o changing my guitar>amp EQ. Do hope to get the Machine Head Pedals Galaxie mod soon to make the pedal smoother (no fizz) at higher Gain settings.

edit: sorry, forgot the thread was more TS focused!
Chiogtr4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I prefer the SD-1. The asymmetrical clipping gives lots of nice harmonics and octave up when I want it.

There is a trick to using the SD-1. Set your tube amp gain to just breaking up when picking hard. Next, turn on the SD-1 with volume on MAX, tone at NOON and gain at ZERO. Slowly increase the SD-1 gain to give the amount of dirt you want. The character of the guitar and amp remain, with lots of sweet, natural drive.

I have a MIT SD-1 a MIJ SD-1, as well as an Ibanez TS-9, a TS-9DX and a Lovepedal Eternity clone. The Boss SD-1 is a permanent part of my pedal board.

Well, that's what works for me.
DADGAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've had a couple of ts-9s and a couple of 808s, still have a maxon 808. I've got a 66 that I've always liked a lot, and recently got a fd2 non mosfet. My best sounds from the 66 are with the gain all the way down, and I use the comp side only for (clean) boost combined with the dist. I don't know why I keep buying 808/ 9 pedals, as I seldom like them much. I guess I get swayed by popular opinion, so many people have to know something I don't get. The Fulldrive 2 non mosfet really minimizes what sucks about all distortion pedals. Feels and sounds very good, better than the 66 I guess, but I'm not getting rid of the 66 as it does good things the FD doesn't (like low volume). One reason (besides the fact that everyone raves about them) to go for a fd2 is that they seem to be cheap lately (used), $110-$130 for the patient sniper should put one under tree/ foot.
telemnemonics is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I just got done A/B'ing a stock SD-1 and a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet.

I liked the SD-1 better . . . by quite a bit.

Old December 21st, 2010, 03:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I have lots of these. I have a stock SD-1, a stock original TS-808, two stock original TS-9's, a stock recent TS-9, and an older Keeley modded TS-9, and several other dirt boxes that are variations on this theme.

I like the SD-1 the least. It is NOT a bad sounding pedal, quite the opposite. I just don't think it's as lively as the others. It sounds a little "flatter" for lack of a better word. Instead of having a character that really jumps out at me, it's just sort of there. Some people really prefer this, and they're not wrong, just after something different than I am I suppose.

It's just kind of dull sounding to my ears. I don't mean the high end, it's hard to put a finger on, it just doesn't sound as lively.

I also have a V1 Route 66 (808 knockoff), an MXR Classic Distortion ("kind of" TS-9 ish) and lots of other stuff.

My faves are the original 808, and the 66 for this type of sound. They are virtually identical. You'd have to be a dog to tell them apart most of the time. Not as mid-humpy as a 9, and very lively and snappy.

For a TS-9 sound, I really like my stock modern issue TS-9. It sounds like a million bucks. Definitely a classic tubescreamer sound. For some reason, I like it better than my original 9's. It seems to have some sort of clarity that the earlier ones are lacking IMO.

That said, the main drive on my board, that goes to all my gigs, is the Fulltone FD2 Mosfet. It'll do a very convincing TS if I want it to, be a killer clean boost, or whatever. Just an all around amazing OD pedal that covers all the bases short of full out distortion.
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 03:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have a Boss SD-1, it's pretty much the worst overdrive I have. In fact it is the worst pedal pedal I have in general. It doesn't sound that great alone and it doesn't stack well with any of my other overdrives. Basically sounds like your average cheap, artificial sounding overdrive pedal. Banished to it's box and I can't even seem to sell it or trade it to anyone.

My main beefs with the SD-1 are that it's not very dynamic compared with other pedals, doesn't clean up too well, it's naturally too dull sounding and sounds more like a distortion with no oomph then an amp-like overdrive.
imsilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 04:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsilly View Post
I have a Boss SD-1, it's pretty much the worst overdrive I have. In fact it is the worst pedal pedal I have in general. It doesn't sound that great alone and it doesn't stack well with any of my other overdrives. Basically sounds like your average cheap, artificial sounding overdrive pedal. Banished to it's box and I can't even seem to sell it or trade it to anyone.

My main beefs with the SD-1 are that it's not very dynamic compared with other pedals, doesn't clean up too well, it's naturally too bright sounding and sounds more like a distortion with no oomph then an amp-like overdrive.
I agree that it doesn't stack well, although I'm not much of a stacker...I want to hear the pedal I chose and paid for, not a conglomeration of different characteristics jumbled together.
schenkadere is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 04:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakedog View Post

I also have a V1 Route 66 (808 knockoff), an MXR Classic Distortion ("kind of" TS-9 ish) and lots of other stuff.

My faves are the original 808, and the 66 for this type of sound. They are virtually identical. You'd have to be a dog to tell them apart most of the time. Not as mid-humpy as a 9, and very lively and snappy.

That said, the main drive on my board, that goes to all my gigs, is the Fulltone FD2 Mosfet. It'll do a very convincing TS if I want it to, be a killer clean boost, or whatever. Just an all around amazing OD pedal that covers all the bases short of full out distortion.
Wow Jakedog, more evidence that I just can't figure out how to work an 808.
I had a Maxon 808 at the same time as my v1 66, (maybe the problem is I never tried an original 808) and had no trouble with the 66 getting a sound I liked, but only succeeded with the 808 (over) driving a stiff Marshall. I guess I also relied on the 66s bass boost with treble up, which takes it away from the 808 sound.
I really am not disagreeing with you on this, I hear other players getting great sounds out of 808s and wonder why I can't.
Do you (and others) mostly use it boosting the volume of the amp a lot? Or can you get a good sound near unity gain while still having a loud clean sound when it's off?
I now have a (v2) 66 (my old one went up in smoke when I blew up a BF Bassman head), and like with the old one, I get a good enough sound out of it without too much volume boost.
The best I've got seems to be the FD2 non mosfet.
So, how do you set the 808 with your rig?
And the FD2, that pedal is new to me and has more knobs than I'm used to.

Old December 21st, 2010, 05:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemnemonics View Post
Wow Jakedog, more evidence that I just can't figure out how to work an 808.
I had a Maxon 808 at the same time as my v1 66, (maybe the problem is I never tried an original 808) and had no trouble with the 66 getting a sound I liked, but only succeeded with the 808 (over) driving a stiff Marshall. I guess I also relied on the 66s bass boost with treble up, which takes it away from the 808 sound.
I really am not disagreeing with you on this, I hear other players getting great sounds out of 808s and wonder why I can't.
Do you (and others) mostly use it boosting the volume of the amp a lot? Or can you get a good sound near unity gain while still having a loud clean sound when it's off?
I now have a (v2) 66 (my old one went up in smoke when I blew up a BF Bassman head), and like with the old one, I get a good enough sound out of it without too much volume boost.
The best I've got seems to be the FD2 non mosfet.
So, how do you set the 808 with your rig?
And the FD2, that pedal is new to me and has more knobs than I'm used to.
It depends on what kind of tone you're after. I also have never tried a Maxxon, I know they are spposed to be great, but never having used one, I just don't know how they act.

For the 808, I really don't use it. It's worth a ton, and the 66 sounds pretty much just like it, so I leave it in the box most of the time. BUT, here's my formula-

I can't get the tone knob too high. It gets harsh and grainy, and really annoying sounding. I like the tone below noon, usually around Ten o'clock or so. After that, comes gain, usually run around 10 o'clock as well. After that, I just set the volume so it's just a touch over my regular volume. Just a tiny smidge. I don't like high gain tones though. Some would argue that these OD's are not capable of high gain tones, for me, they have MORE than enough gain on tap. I would never ever run one wide open.

These types of settings usually give me a really nice boost tone with just enough edge. With my V1 66, I set it pretty much the same, and NEVER use the bass boost. It sounds great for solos, but muddies up the rhythm tone something fierce, and it's too much trouble to keep flipping it on and off.

As far as the FD2, mine is a Mosfet, which I prefer. Usually, the Volume is around 11 o'clock, first switch set to FM, tone anywhere from 9-11 o'clock depending ont he guitar, gain about noon, boost maxed, in Mosfet mode.

My settings may not work if you have a small low watt amp. I never play through less than 30 watts and two twelves. My 2X12 cab handles 200 watts, so the speakers DO NOT break up, and the bass is huge, but also super tight and focused. I get a very large, fat and thumpy full spectrum clean to start with. It makes the pedals sound different than they would with a small low wattage amp that does not produce as big a sound to start with. Note, I said big, not loud.

As for wondering why you can't get a good sound with a certain pedal, and other people can, I feel your pain more than you know. I hear people play AC30's and have tone to die for. It's one of my favorite sounds. When I plug into a Vox however, all I get is a tone like a blizzard of rusty nails crashing through a plate glass window. Not everything works for everybody I guess.
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 05:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I just got that MXR Classic Distortion that Jakedog mentioned and I found it to be much better the the TS I had. In fact I sold the TS because I preferred the Blues Driver as mentioned but it's a different pedal as some mentioned as well. I think the TS is a bit overrated, there are so many good overdrives out there it just depends what you want. I dug the OCD and I even have a Coffin Case Blood Drive that although it looks scary is a very cool overdrive. Anything Fulltone makes I've enjoyed a lot although I never bought one because I already own 25 different OD/Dist pedals. My advice is anything by MXR, Fulltone or EHX have never let me down. Check out those first. Like I said it depends on what you want it to do.
cntry666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 02:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Jakedog, your usage of the 66/808 confirm my experience with my 808, it only sounded good for me through my (tight sounding) 74 Marshall 50w bass head into a 4x12 with fairly new v30s. I wanted something else from it. And I also find the bass boost on the 66 limiting but use it anyhow, usually with an amp that's a bit short on bass, like my (gutted) 40w Princeton 1x12, or CF Martin Tweed Deluxe clone. Also, my old 66 was a v2, I didn't know the v1 had no bass boost (so I sniped one tonight for $62.56), I suspect that v2 has more gain, since (IIRC) I get plenty of volume boost with the gain at 1 or 2. I'll see how they compare. I'm glad to hear some good press about the 66, it's a really good pedal and often goes unmentioned.
Another seldom mentioned member of the TS family is the Maxon SD-9 Sonic Distortion. It comes in a TS-9 type case and sounds bigger than either TS, though I haven't used it in a few years. Can't remember why. Seems like any pedal needs the right pickups amp and speakers all balancing together to sound right. Change one ingredient and it's all out of balance again.
I'll try some of your setting examples JD, my SFSR has tight ceramic speakers and should react similarly to your rig description. Thanks for the help.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 03:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by markesquire View Post
I just got done A/B'ing a stock SD-1 and a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet.

I liked the SD-1 better . . . by quite a bit.
Well I'm curious now, the SD-1s are so cheap, was it a rare vintage MIJ with a purple sticker and four digit serial #?
Could a $40 pedal really be chosen over a $200 pedal?
I really need to believe I can't get a great sound without spending lots of money.
But seriously, are you using it to overdrive the amp, or just near unity where you actually hear the sound of the pedal without the amp distortion changing it? I had an SD-1 near 20 years ago and didn't like it, but only compared it to an early Chandler Tube Driver.
Can you describe how you compared them and what differences you found with your playing?