Pedal order for modulation/delays? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 14th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
hal
Tele-Afflicted

Pedal order for modulation/delays?

I know---this is probably on here somewhere, but I would like some fresh opinions please......

Do you put your delay before or after chorus/tremolo/modulation pedals? And why?

I have these at the end of my chain. That is conventional and has always worked best for me. But I am not so sure about order for modulation pedals anymore. I currently have the delay at the very end with only the volume pedal and clean boost(for solos) behind it.

Help and thanks.

Old December 14th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I personally follow the way these effects would occur naturally. For example a choir in cathedral. First thing is each and everyone's own voice (vocal cords/guitar strings, then our mouth doing the filtring etc/EQ, wah, OD). Then next step is choir alltogether sounding "chorused". They don't sing the delays and reverbs, in isolated room they sound dry but chorused. Next step is the delay, which itself doesn't contain reverb, it just the dry choir's sound bouncing back from the wall, and all reverb will just follow that original signal and delay, being the latest in chain and being effected by everything before.

Maybe it doesn't make sense, but that's how I have thought about it.
But it's all the matter of taste, isn't it?
MarvinSmithers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2010, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
hal
Tele-Afflicted

That makes sense Marvin. And that is how I am doing it---even though I never thought of it that way. Thanks.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 14th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Some time ago I had rule, that Delay is always last. But then I tried some modulation at the end. And with longer delay It's give more "Texture" to my sound. Delays starts to sound just like something wired are happens with them. Bad thing, that I prefer get modulation before dirt for more natural sound.

But now I resolved that problem. I am not using modulation at all ;) Only tremolo pedal, but since tremolo not actually alters or "modulates" my tone, I using it between my overdrives, and do not think too much about it.

Old December 14th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
hal
Tele-Afflicted

Sometimes I can't believe that I put a post up in Memphis, TN and someone answers it in St. Petersburg, Russia. Awesome.

Old December 14th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I usually hit the overdrive then distortion pedal first. I want a full signal from the guitar to overdrive the first stages and I use the cleaner overdrive to push the signal hotter to the distortion unit. From there I will go to the compressor to tame any weird results then to the delay/modulation pedals. The EQ is next to take out excessive lows and/or to provide clean boost when the drive/distortion pedals are not engaged. Next is the wah and last the volume pedal. Completely different than most approaches but I want a clean or driven signal to develop well first. Then I can apply Wah or the Volume pedal to match the level of the room. If the distortion pedals are offline I want to be able to take the clean signal to the compressor (or not) then to delay/modulation then to a clean boost with the EQ. This all followed again by wah and volume. I have all of these on a looper bar to bring them in or out of the chain.

What I would really like is the switching system by Voodoo labs for creating different orders of effects in presets. That is a nice system.
Middleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinSmithers View Post
I personally follow the way these effects would occur naturally. For example a choir in cathedral. First thing is each and everyone's own voice (vocal cords/guitar strings, then our mouth doing the filtring etc/EQ, wah, OD). Then next step is choir alltogether sounding "chorused". They don't sing the delays and reverbs, in isolated room they sound dry but chorused. Next step is the delay, which itself doesn't contain reverb, it just the dry choir's sound bouncing back from the wall, and all reverb will just follow that original signal and delay, being the latest in chain and being effected by everything before.

Maybe it doesn't make sense, but that's how I have thought about it.
But it's all the matter of taste, isn't it?
That's a very good way to look at it! Leave it to an Esto......

M

Old December 15th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

To me running Chorus before or after Delay doesn't make such a dramatic enough difference in sound to justify one way over the other. I personally run Chorus before Delay, but that's my preference. The idea is to add echoes to an already "chorused" or modulated signal and that's what I prefer. I also run Phasers/Flangers before Delay, but I hate the sound of a Phase effect after OD/Distortion so I place my Phaser before dirt pedals. Ultimately, there's no right or wrong, just what works best to get the sounds you want.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

For me, it's wah > OD > delay > phaser. The sound of the repeats as they are "phased" is mind-bogglingly awesome (to me).
jjkrause84 is offline   Reply With Quote