Wampler Ecstasy Overdrive Pedal vs. Zendrive - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 18th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Wampler Ecstasy Overdrive Pedal vs. Zendrive

Has anyone compared the two? Which one is closest to the elusive "D-Tone"? Pros and cons of each.

Old September 18th, 2010, 05:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

This is the best / most accurate sounding Zendrive demo on youtube, well most like the tones I get with my tele.

(Can't embed for some reason):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJaBKnPDxpY

Old September 18th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

the new way to embed is to just paste

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJaBKnPDxpY

it should look something like this without the exaggerated spacing

[ YOUTUBE ] aJaBKnPDxpY [ / YOUTUBE ]

this other video is pretty nice too. it's a tele with a deluxe reverb. i prefer this demo over GMD's slightly.
dalandan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 18th, 2010, 06:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks D

Nice demo by Tim Lerch - didn't really look at the flexibility of either pedal, focusing on one tone. But showed how well they clean up through vol pot or pick attack.

Old September 18th, 2010, 06:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonemonkey View Post
Thanks D

Nice demo by Tim Lerch - didn't really look at the flexibility of either pedal, focusing on one tone. But showed how well they clean up through vol pot or pick attack.
no problemo, T.

I like how Tim worked the dynamics of the pedal though. GMD's had better setting variation.

Old September 18th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Ahh But TL never touched upon or talked about the Voice or Tone controls on the Zendrive. He just tried to make the pedals sound alike.

The ZD is not the one-trick pony he makes out, it can cream up your bridge pup, and with a touch more Voice make your neck pup cut through while retaining its neck pup characteristics.

Its not my choice as a rhythm OD, except as a light break-up, but as a lead boost.....it can be an underwear changing experience.

Old September 18th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I know what a Zen Drive is like, but I don't know what the Wampler is like in relationship to the ZD. That was my question.

Old September 18th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Colorado View Post
I know what a Zen Drive is like, but I don't know what the Wampler is like in relationship to the ZD. That was my question.

Quote:
Has anyone compared the two? Which one is closest to the elusive "D-Tone"? Pros and cons of each.
That, was the question. You now have two opinions on one, hopefully someone will give you a A/B comparison.

Sorry to have bothered you with some opinion and videos, we didn't realise you had a detailed knowledge of the ZD. Hopefully in future we won't fail to meet your exacting but unspecified questions.

Old September 18th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I sense sarcasm.
elicross is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Your Spider-senses tingling, are they?

Old September 18th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Ahh But TL never touched upon or talked about the Voice or Tone controls on the Zendrive. He just tried to make the pedals sound alike.

The ZD is not the one-trick pony he makes out, it can cream up your bridge pup, and with a touch more Voice make your neck pup cut through while retaining its neck pup characteristics.

Its not my choice as a rhythm OD, except as a light break-up, but as a lead boost.....it can be an underwear changing experience.
I will have to name my next band after that.

anyway, to the TS, I have tested both and I like the zen for that refined Robben Ford type tone and for some crunch while i like the wampler for the higher gain dumble-style tones. The Wampler sounds a lot like the Barber burn units I have used in the past.

Old September 19th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Thanks D

Negligible difference on those two...he really did dial them in to sound the same.
schenkadere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
That, was the question. You now have two opinions on one, hopefully someone will give you a A/B comparison.

Sorry to have bothered you with some opinion and videos, we didn't realise you had a detailed knowledge of the ZD. Hopefully in future we won't fail to meet your exacting but unspecified questions.

Sorry, Tonemonkey. I didn't mean to come off like that. I'm planning on getting a ZD, but came across the Wampler and was wondering about it. I shouldn't post when I'm cranky. ;-)

Old September 19th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Sorry, Tonemonkey. I didn't mean to come off like that. I'm planning on getting a ZD, but came across the Wampler and was wondering about it. I shouldn't post when I'm cranky. ;-)
Me too, mate....I bit back too quick, sorry back!

Just saying, its a great Dumblesque lead boost. The good thing is that if you ain't happy you can send it back to Alf for a full refund...but its worth tweaking it a bit...what's your amp?

I use a Fuzzhead or just amp OD for rhythm.

Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

As far as the amp... well, it depends. I have a couple of Fenders, DSR and BMR, a Rivera S-120-210 and the amp I use most is a Mesa Studio .22+ with an Altec speaker. I also have a MK I RI that weighs a ton (hardwood cab and EVM speaker), so it's in the rehearsal room. I've read good things about a MK I and the ZD together.

Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:

sorry that I must hijack the thread for the second, but I have a question about policy (I know this here is sorted out).
I posted a search ad for a Robert Cray Strat a while ago in the qualified section of the strat-talk forum and some wisea** answered by posting this: http://www.google.de/#hl=de&source=h...766e349c&cad=b. how would one react to such ignorance. I told him I know how to google but was looking for used guitars. was that rude?
again sorry for the hijacking.
nosuch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2010, 02:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosuch View Post
sorry that I must hijack the thread for the second, but I have a question about policy (I know this here is sorted out).
I posted a search ad for a Robert Cray Strat a while ago in the qualified section of the strat-talk forum and some wisea** answered by posting this: http://www.google.de/#hl=de&source=h...766e349c&cad=b. how would one react to such ignorance. I told him I know how to google but was looking for used guitars. was that rude?
again sorry for the hijacking.
Nosuch,

You just need to remember that forums (fora?) are open to misinterpretation, as you can see by this thread!

Depending on the wording of your Ad, he may have tried to be helpful, but maybe he was attempting humour. It is these attempts at humour that most often lead to small arguments. In this thread PiC quickly realised I had grabbed the wrong end of the stick (nice metaphor!) and peace broke out.

So in answer to your questions:

Keep the higher ground, his ignorance may have been a failed attempt at humour. A good response would be - Thanks for your help, it hadn't occurred to me to use a Search Engine.

No you weren't rude.

As difficult as it is, a good rule is - If in doubt or angry, don't post anything.

Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Back on Topic

Quote:
As far as the amp... well, it depends. I have a couple of Fenders, DSR and BMR, a Rivera S-120-210 and the amp I use most is a Mesa Studio .22+ with an Altec speaker. I also have a MK I RI that weighs a ton (hardwood cab and EVM speaker), so it's in the rehearsal room. I've read good things about a MK I and the ZD together.
Thats a nice stable of amps you got there.

The more I think about how the ZD reacts to variables the more I'm convinced what you put in to the pedal (guitar) is of more import than what you're plugged in to......what I mean is, some amps take some pedals well, other combinations work less well.

Tele and ZD seem to love any tube amp I've tried, but I've had to fiddle to get something approaching this "nirvana" tone with a Strat.

Does that make sense?

Old September 28th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

technically, circuitry is somewhat similar (both are opamp softclippers), but the zen is voiced to have a bit more mids, where I wanted the ecstasy to be a bit more transparent.
Wampler Pedals is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Here's a comparison update for 2011: I've owned both the Zen drive and Ectasy overdrive. I recently sold the Zen to my buddy. I always found it too dark and although the zen is an outstanding lead boost pedal I found the Ectasy to have more of a 'D' sound for my playing and gear. I use a Fender BassBreaker (Bassman in 2x12 celestion v30 format) and a Gibson SG w/Humbugs - I mostly play rock/blues originals but this pedal can cover a lot of ground with classic rock and blues covers.

I particularly favor the Ectasy over the Zen for chords/rhythm. The Ectasy sounds more dimensional to me. It sounds more transparent, not as much as a Timmy pedal, but transparent still. I've been jumping between the Smooth and the Open switch on it. The Smooth has the 'D' sound. Open is similar but more gritty and more mids, and Crunch is the Bogner sound. I can really get some really cool 'D' tones on Smooth when using the guitar's volume rolled back to 7, pedal gain is around 9 - 10 o'clock. This pedal is very dynamic and picking subtleties come through. To me a dumble amp has always sounded really clear, like a combination of the best fender clean and the best marshall overdrive combined into 1 amazing tone. That's what this pedal reminds me of.

If you get an Ectasy overdrive, Read the manual. i.e. don't start with the controls at 12 o'clock. Start with vol at 12, everything else around 7 or lower, and work your way up. I keep the bass low at around 9 o'clock.

Pedals I've been using as of recent: Fulltone Fulldrive2 Mosfet, Hermida Zen Drive, Barber 1/2 Gainer. I really love the Barber 1/2 gainer, but still the Ectasy has replaced all of these. For me the Ectasy has the most transparency and when I dig in it really jumps out.

I like the Ectasy pedal so much, I just bought a Wampler Talent Booster and I'm comparing it alongside the Xotic EP Booster for a lead boost with the Ectasy drive. I may post the outcome soon.
Walkin Stiff is offline   Reply With Quote