Modtone/Belcat pedals...any opinions? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 30th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Modtone/Belcat pedals...any opinions?

Curious if there are any satisfied users?

schenkadere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I had the Belcat Phaser for a few days, did not care for; hard to explain, very high-endy, ice-picky "peak" to the swirl. Modtone Speedbox a similar experience; muddy or icepicky, no middle ground. I would give other Modtone's a shot (would like to try the boost and Atomic Phaser). Check out Biyang stuff. Love their OD 8 X-drive. Tubescreamer from hell, 3 settings and exchangeable chips! Cool!
richey88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by richey88 View Post
I had the Belcat Phaser for a few days, did not care for; hard to explain, very high-endy, ice-picky "peak" to the swirl. Modtone Speedbox a similar experience; muddy or icepicky, no middle ground. I would give other Modtone's a shot (would like to try the boost and Atomic Phaser). Check out Biyang stuff. Love their OD 8 X-drive. Tubescreamer from hell, 3 settings and exchangeable chips! Cool!
The Atomic Phaser IS the Belcat Phaser...don't bother...Belcat is the OEM for Modtone and others.

I was curious about the tremolo...I love my trem, but wish it had a wave control. I like the standard old TR-2 but the effect bleed through is unbearable.
schenkadere is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 27th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I got a few Belcat pedals- Phaser, Fuzz & Distortion. I have to say I'm very impressed for the price I paid (which is half the RRP right now). And the boxes are great too. I'd use them for modding. I loved the phaser the most. Because it did something my other phasers dont and with Tone Zone pickups there envelope affect stands out...... I do like the fuzz too.

I would recommend getting these ped's modded tho.
rikhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2011, 05:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The Belcat DLY-503 delay is a VERY nice pedal.
Delay time is limited to 130-350 ms, but the sound is great.
I know much more expensive devices that don't sound as good as this one!
coldwar1977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I've got the Overdrive which I use through my Hot Rod Deluxe with a Tele and a Tele custom.

I really love the pedal. It was cheap, it's solid and built like a tank and makes a great tone. I play Stones music.

I'm a King Bee, buzzin round your hive...
rockingstones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I have the volume pedal and for the money it does the job and is built very well. I also have the Power Plant and IMHO it is neck and neck with the Voodoo Labs PP2. The bonus on the ModTone is it has a 9vAc on the side.
vjf1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have 4 modtone pedals, and I've just recently sold my Belcat phaser due to lack of use. Phaser wasn't overly useful, but that's just for my playing.

My modtone pedals are the vintage wah, pedal tuner, mini fuzzer and mini flanger.

Really happy with the fuzz and the wah. They do what I want. None of this tone sculpting business, no tone suck, blah blah, they do what they say they do. Fuzz and a wah. All of them are true bypass.

The flanger is quite nice. It will probably do the big plane sounds but I haven't tried that cuz I don't like van halen. I use it as a quieter effect, and thats its downfall... There is a sliiiiiiight volume drop when you turn it on.

The tuner ... Yeah, tunes. It isn't quite as responsive as a flasher tuner but it does the job and has lights. I'm also using it as a mute switch because I can't be ballsed with a noise gate.

So yeah. I reckon they're sweet value and I use all four of them.

Old August 29th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

My Modtone Harmonic Tremor lost so much volume when engaged that I thought it was defective and sent it to them for repair. They sent it back saying all it needed was a new battery. When I informed them that I use a power supply and not battery's I never heard from them again. I could not flip it fast enough. Try Joyo. I have three now with another on order and they are all excellent. I bought them all from YooSmart and each transaction went very smoothly.
k tone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by k tone View Post
My Modtone Harmonic Tremor lost so much volume when engaged that I thought it was defective and sent it to them for repair. They sent it back saying all it needed was a new battery. When I informed them that I use a power supply and not battery's I never heard from them again. I could not flip it fast enough. Try Joyo. I have three now with another on order and they are all excellent. I bought them all from YooSmart and each transaction went very smoothly.
Same experience with the Modtone Harmonic Tremor here -
Teleglide is offline   Reply With Quote