Dumble type pedal??? Which is the best? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 5th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Dumble type pedal??? Which is the best?

I know this has been asked a million times but I have three pedals in mind (though I am open to suggestions). The three I have it narrowed to are the Zendrive, Jetter Gain Stage Red, and Fuchs Plush Drive. Seeing how these pedals are all close in price is there one that out performs the other? Would I most likely be happy with any of them?

Part of me feels like all three may fall into the one trick pony camp, but if it can do that trick well I'm happy. I wanna use this pedal (which ever it may be) for bluesy/fusion leads, and ONLY leads. I already own a Timmy, an LTD, a few TS pedals, and a rat. All pedals fit somewhere in my sonic palette, but I feel there is a hole only the "Dumble" sound will fill. If you think something else might be worth looking into please let me know. Help!!!

Neil

Tele-Monster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I don't have any experience with these, but here's a couple more for you to check out:http://www.customtonesinc.com/ and http://olcircuits.com/olc_umble.html. The Ethos overdrive is probably the ultimate but it's expensive.

Pat
Suproman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Well, Robben Ford and Tonemonkey use the Zendrive for those Dumble tones from amps as diverse as a Twin Reverb and a Matchless Lightning.

Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 5th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

I love my Dan Zink made Rinzai....

tiny and dumbles up really nicely.

Old January 5th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I tried a lot of pedals, but the Zendrive really floored me. The Dumble Overtone Special clone that I have has three ways of controlling overdrive. The Zendrive also has three ways of doing that, which I find very useful for shaping the OD sound. I have used it with a Victoria, DRRI, Champ 600, Ceriatone Trainwreck Express, Ceriatone Dumble, and a Cornell Romany. Maybe the other pedals mentioned above are in the same ballpark. If so, it is a good ball park to work in.

While the Zendrive can be used for OD and distortion, I use it for a kind of real world presence, as if I had any of these amps turned up to 6.

Old January 5th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Zen and a Menatone Howie (V.3).
I 'prefer' the Zen drive because it will do a lot more than just ape (or at least get close to) the classic Dumble ODS tone. The 'Howie' on the other hand is pretty much instant Robben Ford , especially if you play his licks.

*I use these two into Fender (vintage and modern) and Fender 'type' amps.
klasaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Have you considered the Wampler Ecstasy? http://www.wamplerpedals.com/ecstasy_drive
JayDee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

HAO Rumble MOD best OD i've ever used. doesnt just nail the tone of a dumble but also the feel and the "bloom" the smooth transition into musical feedback

Old January 5th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have the Zendrive and an Xotic AC Booster. They are very similar pedals. The Zendrive has a tighter low-end. The AC has a sweeter top-end. Both great Dumble-esque pedals. For what they go for used on ebay, an AC Booster is a real bargain, imho.
DMace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I solved this problem by building my own Dumble clones. However, for a pedal, I prefer the Providence SOV-2.

Bill
fordfanjpn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm curious how many players that seek the elusive Dumble tone are actually certain that they've even heard one , no less played one in order to know what tone they're truly seeking.
schenkadere is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

That's a great question.
I have heard many and been fortunate enough to have played through two. An ODS and a re-worked Fender concert or pro. The reworked fender was the 'cleaner' Dumble tone. Which he does a lot for people but this side of AD isn't as 'internet' popular. And no, the pedals in my opinion only really give you a taste or hint at the whole experience. And, only of the more gained out (ODS or STS) versions. His 'clean' thing is a bit of a different animal.
klasaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

i have a d clone and am building a second, alot of the pedals dont match the feel, with the exception of the HAO (IMO) honestly youre probably going to wind up spending $300+ on a pedal which in that case you should probably just get a ceriatone OTS

Old January 6th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenkadere View Post
I'm curious how many players that seek the elusive Dumble tone are actually certain that they've even heard one , no less played one in order to know what tone they're truly seeking.
I have played through about 20 different Dumbles, so I have a pretty good idea of what they're all about. We had a shootout here in Tokyo once where we had 14 Dumbles assembled in a studio for comparison, along with a couple of my clones. It was a fun day. I have pictures somewhere, if I can find them.

Bill
fordfanjpn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I haven't tried them all, but the Jetter Jetdrive does a great job in my opinion. Folks who HAVE tried them all rate this one very highly as well. What I like about it is that it's not a one trick pony - really versatile. I'm hitting mine with an EP Booster and there are a ton of tones at my feet. Love it.

Old January 20th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Pure jealousy on all you that have played those dumbles.
Bermsalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenkadere View Post
I've never played through one but I got to hear the late, great Stephen Bruton make one sing on an unforgettable night at the Bandera Caberet in Texas. Wow on all fronts.
tweedtone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Helped host Robben at a blues festival in Boise. I stood 5 feet away from Robben for the whole show with the Dumble, have photos too! My ears rang after the show, but it was so worth it.
loudguitars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2010, 02:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Monster View Post
I have it narrowed to are the Zendrive, Jetter Gain Stage Red,
The Jetter GSR is a Zendrive knockoff. It is (or was) poorly built, and the chip that was subbed in place of what Hermida uses (which is still unknown) seems to remove a bit of the Zendrive vibe, which could be an important consideration. I personally would start with a ZD (or a well built clone) and work from there in your quest. JMO.

I won't get into the X Pedal = Dumble amp in a box thing, but the Zendrive is definitely highly regarded for it's smooth OD tones. That would put it (or a well built clone) in front of the pack, AFAIC.

Here's the link for the story on the GSR lift of the Zendrive. Take it with a grain of salt, or whatever you choose. But Martin C. is a really bright guy, and has served many well by providing these facts, IMO.

If you go for a ZD clone, remember that no one has been able to figure out definitively which chip Alfie is using (and Jetter also sanded off the numbers as well). Once again though, Martin C. went to the trouble to audition different chips, since something seemed amiss in the Jetter cloning. Martin's findings (paraphrased):

"Today I tried swapping a bunch of different chips in my test unit to compare the sound. I had some surprising results. Firstly, I'm 99.99% sure now that the Burr-Brown OPA2604CP is the chip used in the Jetter. It gets the same strange fuzzy woolly low-end with that almost-clean disconnected top-end. But how did other chips compare?

I tried the following:
OPA2604CP
TLC2262CP
TLC272CP
NE5532P
TL072CP
RC4558
LF353

The best sounding chip to my ears was by far the TLC2262CP. It makes the OPA2604 sound like garbage in comparison! The sound is much more "together" with a nice present smooth midrange and a beautiful rich top-end with alot of dynamic responsiveness. The low-end doesn't have that nasty fuzziness and it is noticeably tighter. It sounds much closer to what a real amp sounds like!

Second runner-up was the NE5532! It had alot of the same qualities I liked about the TLC2262, but the midrange was slightly harder and the highs have less dynamic articulation.

The RC4558 brings up third with a good smooth midrange and solid low-end; but the highs get slightly diffused under a hard upper-mid presence that smears away the magic that you get from the TLC2262.

The TL072 comes next with a fatter low-end than the 4558, but the mids have this sort of blunt quality that don't necessarily sound bad, but gives it an overall sound that I can only say is boring and common.

The TLC272 and LF353 were both a huge disappointment in this circuit. They both sounded straight-up bad with a blurred sound that lacks definition at all points of the compass. The LF353 was the worst - like looking through a lens smeared with vaseline. The TLC272 was like someone had tried to wipe the LF353's vaseline off, but there was still alot of blurring residue left.

The OPA2604 really didn't sound like any of the other chips. It definitely has its own unique flavor, and that's why I'm convinced it's the one used in the Jetter. After trying these different chips, I honestly wonder why anyone decided on the Burr-Brown because I really feel that much better and more amp-like results can be had with less-expensive chips. To my ears, the OPA2604 just doesn't sound musical, and in comparison, the TLC2262 is magic. I didn't like the sound of this circuit with the Burr-Brown (and I don't like the sound of the Jetter because it has that same tone), but with the TLC2262 or NE5532, I really like it.

Strange - at first I thought it was the sound of the clipping diode arrangement that I didn't like, but it turns out to be the chip that was the weak link!"

No affil. to Martin C. (a.k.a. Soul Sonic) whatsoever - I'm just very appreciative of his findings.

Old January 21st, 2010, 09:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Just curious--did he do the chip comparison using double-blind listening tests?
Radspin is online now   Reply With Quote