The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 17th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Meister

is a holy grail reverb worth fixing?

hello. fired up the reverb a few minutes ago and get a nasty buzz and a "tick" sound at about 2 second intervals. checked cables, etc.

the end?

never thought about fixing a stomp box; are there shops who can do?

many thanks! eljayski

eljayski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Does it do it throughout the knob rotation? If not, it is probably repairable.

But the buzz almost sounds like an issue of a wire or something that isn't making proper contact.

Also - are you checking it in isolation? I've gotten the click thing before, but it was other pedals in the chain.

Considering that the new Nanos are $120, if you can get your unit repaired for around $40 or so, it might be worth it. That's probably wishful thinking, but you never know. The new ones are SMD construction, so 9/10 when one of those dies, the party is over. The older ones could be SMD as well - I've never disassembled mine.

If you don't feel discouraged to have a peek inside, it might reveal something.

Good luck!

Old December 18th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'd check the PCB for burn marks. The Holy Grail is notorious for burning up a certain resistor in the power stage of the circuit. Can't remember offhand which one it is though, but it'll be black if that's the case.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 18th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar_Ninja View Post
I'd check the PCB for burn marks. The Holy Grail is notorious for burning up a certain resistor in the power stage of the circuit. Can't remember offhand which one it is though, but it'll be black if that's the case.
It's probably the 47 ohm job on the power input. At 500mA, yes it's the big suspect. Folks like to replace it with an epoxy rectifier diode, as you get a similar voltage drop and it handles the juice much better. I believe that they use a 1N4002, but don't hold me to that.

Old December 18th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Sounds to me your power adapter might simply be noisy. Tried another?
yonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

i had the same problem with the orgional holy grail and i returned it and am living with the reverb on my ac15cc(which i still dont like) but as i progressivly become a better guitar player i like it less and less(but thats just me) so i think scratch the reverb and get a better one that isnt from EHX. Ehx reverbs tend to be pretty noisy UNLESS.... you go for the holier grail or the holyest grail which truely are the "the holy grail of reverb pedals"
mlweidl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2009, 06:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlweidl View Post
i had the same problem with the orgional holy grail and i returned it and am living with the reverb on my ac15cc(which i still dont like) but as i progressivly become a better guitar player i like it less and less(but thats just me) so i think scratch the reverb and get a better one that isnt from EHX. Ehx reverbs tend to be pretty noisy UNLESS.... you go for the holier grail or the holyest grail which truely are the "the holy grail of reverb pedals"
Did you use proper powering? I have an EHX Holy Grail Nano right here that does not produce any sound at all, but only after i changed the power supply to a proper (non-generic) one.
yonie is offline   Reply With Quote