Boss Fender '63 Reverb PEDAL!!!!! - Page 2 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 14th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've wondered for the longest time why Fender never capitalized on this idea. I'm definitely dropping my HG Reverb for one of these... especially if it doesn't run on a freaking power supply only!

Hecks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

It would certainly fill a need. There aren't a whole lot of springy reverb pedals out there. I don't like the cheap tin boxes held together with sheet metal screws that EH makes. I know a guy who has broken a Holy Grail project box by stepping on it with boots.

The Roland video is nice. Good demo. I'm glad that they're using a slightly older and calmer guy than Johnny DeMarco. I hope they do really well with the new reverb pedal.

John

"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Frank Zappa
studio1087 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The surf clip was unsatisfying - not nearly enough drip. But maybe he didn't have the dwell cranked enough. The tremolo was set too deep too.
Uma Floresta is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 15th, 2009, 03:16 AM   #24 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

yeah Uma, its kinda hard to judge a pedal without seeing what the settings are. boss should take a tip from pro guitar shop.
i dont really care what the players fingers are doing or what facial expression he's making.SHOW ME THE KNOBS.
that said,i bet the boss video wasnt maximum drip on any of the settings,and it sounded way better than any other boss pedal reverb i've owned,[and i like the rv-2]. but my peavey srp-16 pedal sounds so good i may wait until the boss units start turning up in droves on ebay,like the other fender character boss pedals.
czech-one-2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #25 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfordan View Post
this is just coming out? I thought I read about it 2 or 3 years ago? what is the street price?
If you watch the video you'll see two other Boss/Fender COSM pedals....those are the ones that came out two years ago. I have the Black One. The Reverb-only is new.

I think you guys are being a bit hard on the demo man. Watch a few Johnny DeMarco Poodle Hair videos with Johnny talking like a DJ and you'll feel better about the new guy. I like the new guy.

John (not DeMarco)

"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Frank Zappa
studio1087 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #26 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I'm trying out the demo version of Amplitube Fender, which also has a 63 Reverb emulator. It actually sounds very good, quite convincing, but it uses up a lot of RAM, especially with the Dwell/Mix cranked - much more than just the amp emulator.

Which makes me think we won't be seeing any realistic digital '63 Reverb emulating pedals in the near future - a pedal isn't going to have the processing power of a PC. By realistic I mean capturing the drippy nuances of a real tank.
Uma Floresta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #27 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

steve trovato is a guitar god, but he does not seem to care at all about surfmusic. they should have asked DICK DALE to demo that pedal. i will try it anyway.....

Old June 18th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma Floresta View Post
I'm trying out the demo version of Amplitube Fender, which also has a 63 Reverb emulator. It actually sounds very good, quite convincing, but it uses up a lot of RAM, especially with the Dwell/Mix cranked - much more than just the amp emulator.

Which makes me think we won't be seeing any realistic digital '63 Reverb emulating pedals in the near future - a pedal isn't going to have the processing power of a PC. By realistic I mean capturing the drippy nuances of a real tank.
That makes me wonder. there was a computer thesis floating around the net years ago where the students sought to make real accurate digital modeling of amps - not for money, but as a project. They said with enough processing power it was possible to make amazingly accurate models. They said the biggest problem was processing power and cited little 'units' as having the least amount of processing power, therefore the algorithms used are always severely compromised. -They have to meet a price point so to speak. The rest is marketing.

I'm interested in the pedal, but reluctant to think it's the second coming of Christ. After all, all the other reverb pedals to date also have tried to base their spring setting on the classic fender sound - and yet the quality of those sounds are all over the place. I wouldn't get too excited just yet just because it says Fender and '63 on it. Those are just packaging tools. I expect it to be, at best, a tweaked version of whatever the spring reverb algorithm that is already in the Roland Cube. I don't have a cube. Maybe it's a stellar model. But I'm reluctant to think this product is going to be significantly better than the Holy Grail, Spring Chicken, or any other medium priced reverb that already exists. Maybe I'm just having a Glass is half empty kind of day.
Brian blaut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

No way to tell if this will be any good from youtube, seriously.

The joy of reverb is that it "bounces back" depending on how hard and fast you pick, especially on the higher strings. It'd definitely be a feel-based decision- especially after the FDR-1, which had no feel whatsoever.

I've got a Vox Pathfinder 15R that has a real little reverb tank in it that sounds beautiful and the whole amp probably cost less than this pedal will cost. I was pretty surprised when I bumped it one day and heard them rattle! Why can't a little off-board reverb be made cheaply?

Old June 19th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #30 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Well, if you close your eyes......and the close your ears you might convince yourself that this sounds like true tube reverb. IT doesn't. That is why "The boys over at The Surf Forum don't seem to care for it." It is not wet and it is not warm. IT sounds soild state. So does the '59 Bassman 'emulator' or whatever it is called. The whole thing sounds SS. If you don't hear that, then it doesn't matter to you. I hear it. It does not sound liek a tube-driven and tube-recovered spring tank reverb. IT is good enough to use in the clubs...handy and all....but it is just like everything else that is SS.....it isn't tube. The last 40 something years has proven that it is very difficult and very expensive to get even close to tube sounds with solid state devices.
IT is noted that the device is 'approved by FEnder'. That approval was probably paid for and relates to the use of the Fender name, logo, etc.....not the sonics.
Someone mentioned that they should have gotten Dick Dale to do the surf segment? LOL
Dick Dale was part of the research into developing the 6G15 REverb unit. HE will play that reverb as long as he plays, because it does SURF reverb sounds for him.....wet and warm, wet and warm....some of the best things in the world are ....wet and warm. (;^)
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #31 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I MUST get the legend series pedals. Bassman? Reverbs? Where do I pay? I can't find a site yet, but come hell or high water, I will have those by the end of the year.

http://www.myspace.com/morrisonmusictown
mrmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

[QUOTE=Wally;1896300]Well, if you close your eyes......and the close your ears you might convince yourself that this sounds like true tube reverb. IT doesn't. That is why "The boys over at The Surf Forum don't seem to care for it." It is not wet and it is not warm. IT sounds soild state. So does the '59 Bassman 'emulator' or whatever it is called. The whole thing sounds SS. If you don't hear that, then it doesn't matter to you. I hear it.

Hey Barney,I mean Waldo,how good can anything sound that you are listening to through your pc and headphones? put it between a strat and a twin and it might just sound awesome.
But you are justified in being skeptical,how many tries has Boss had, 6 or 7 ?

Old June 19th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #33 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

[QUOTE=czech-one-2;1896374]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Well, if you close your eyes......and the close your ears you might convince yourself that this sounds like true tube reverb. IT doesn't. That is why "The boys over at The Surf Forum don't seem to care for it." It is not wet and it is not warm. IT sounds soild state. So does the '59 Bassman 'emulator' or whatever it is called. The whole thing sounds SS. If you don't hear that, then it doesn't matter to you. I hear it.

Hey Barney,I mean Waldo,how good can anything sound that you are listening to through your pc and headphones? put it between a strat and a twin and it might just sound awesome.
But you are justified in being skeptical,how many tries has Boss had, 6 or 7 ?

Czech-one-2,
If you please, my name is not BArney or Waldo. IT is Wally. IF you don't want to use the correct name, please don't sub in anything that you choose. It is disrespectful and useless. Blagadaryu.
REgarding the issue.....I can hear it well enough to hear that it is SS. IT doesn't have the detph and quality of a quality tube srping reverb. Boss can take as long as they want. Tube spring reverb sonics cannot be duplicated in the SS domain....at least in a small size and at some reasonable cost.
to be true, I haev heard some lousy tube reverbs....the Silvertone 'twin' amps come to mind, that don't sound as good as this unit. However, this unit nor any other SS device that I have heard can come close to a quality tube spring reverb. YMMV, but I have been listening to guitars and amps for almost 5 decades, and I know that to which I am listening. I hear SS reverb in 'all tube' amps and know it for what it is. What amps? JCM 900 Dual Gain reverb, Peavey Classic 30 and 50, Fender Blues and HOt rod Deluxes and devilles....the list is long. SS reverb....it is identifiable with experience.
This unit is small, handy and economical. IT is not the worst sounding SS reverb that I have heard.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #34 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

has anyone heard the actual unit in persona or are you all just talking bout the video?

Old June 20th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #35 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Been playing a Digiverb pedal, here. This could be interesting, though. You have to take the demo vids with a grain of salt since they are recorded in all kinds of rooms, with a variety of mikes, amps, and other particulars...
Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #36 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiewagner View Post
has anyone heard the actual unit in persona or are you all just talking bout the video?
It's not out on the stores yet, so...

I was not impressed by the vid, but I'm no great fan of reverb.

https://soundcloud.com/jotacaster
xjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #37 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Someone on another forum saw it demo'd at NAMM, and said it sounded darn good in person.

Old June 20th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #38 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks for posting the Steve Trovato video. The pedal sounds fantastic!
jmecale72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #39 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
Been playing a Digiverb pedal, here. This could be interesting, though. You have to take the demo vids with a grain of salt since they are recorded in all kinds of rooms, with a variety of mikes, amps, and other particulars...
The Digiverb is great... my fave setting is "church" altho "spring" is a close 2nd. Lots of drip in the spring!! Hey, does your digiverb have a little bit of white noise (shhhhhhhhhhhh) when you turn it on?

Old June 20th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #40 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Sorry Wally,Barney was really more for those folks at the surf guitar forum,as they are a bunch of barneys if they have drawn a firm conclusion on a pedal that has yet to be available to the general public.
what is blagadaryu?

Last edited by czech-one-2; June 21st, 2009 at 04:21 AM.