"Jangle Box" - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 8th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

"Jangle Box"

Has anyone had any experience with this compressor pedal with a Tele? It seems to be getting good Testimonials from the likes of Rodger Mcguinn and Michael Campbell. There is a JB #1 and now a JB #2 and they are kind of spendy but hearing through the grapevine that they put out a real nice Byrds/Tom Petty chime.

http://janglebox.com/

Thanks

Old June 8th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If you ever play a 12 string

through a Janglebox you will own one. It just nails "The Byrds" tone that we all love soooo much. Rickenbacker wont dare admit it but even the fabled 12 strings they offer cant duplicate the tone without it. I wont play my Telecaster 12 String without a Janglebox if I have a choice. I also like the tones I get with other guitars as well but I dont leave it engaged all the time. When you first start using one you will be amazed at all the different undertones and swirls it generates.
It's for real,
Rob

Old June 9th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhomco View Post
Rickenbacker wont dare admit it but even the fabled 12 strings they offer cant duplicate the tone without it.

Sorry, that is not correct.

RIC CEO John Hall has never said that RIC 12s don't sound good (or "better") with a compressor.
In fact John sort of endorses the POD (I can't think of the manufacturer's name at this moment).

Rickenbacker's issue with the Janglebox is a legal one, not a musical issue.
FirstBassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 9th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The sound samples on their site sound incredible. Makes me want to sell a lot of pedals so I can afford it.
tomorrowstars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the input. This confirms what I have been hearing about it. I'll check out their site to get a rough idea on what a Tele sounds like through the box. It has to be a good thing. I have always liked the bright clean chime sound from Byrds, Beatles, Tom Petty/Mike Campbell, Metallica, (kidding on the last one).
Anyways, thanks and I'll do some more R & D and see how long I can hold off. I wish the cost was down a notch but I'm beginning to get the impression that it's worth it.

Old June 9th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The 'Telly Jelly' sound clip at the bottom of the page is enough of a convincer for me.
http://janglebox.com/jangle_clips.htm
tomorrowstars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

McGuinn got his sound for years before the "Jangle Box" was invented ... sounds like a lot of hype to me ...

Old June 9th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Hey thanks for the link "tomorrowstars"! Was impressed not only with what it did for 12 strings but "Telly Jelly" was the chimiest I have heard a Tele.....and this coming through my computer speakers. It also made a nice sound on "Badge" going through a Strat, but I really liked the Tele sound with it. Now I know what I want for Christmas!

Old June 9th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

I have a janglebox. It does what it purports to do. Have any naysayers ever even seen one in person?

Rangercaster, the circuit design of the janglebox is the one that used to be in the rics when mcguinn used to play them... so, you are right and wrong. McGuinn uses a janglebox today.

Old June 9th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangercaster View Post
McGuinn got his sound for years before the "Jangle Box" was invented ... sounds like a lot of hype to me ...

Yes and no.

See my post above and the one coming up below . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
I have a janglebox. It does what it purports to do. Have any naysayers ever even seen one in person?

G/B,

I'm not sure if you were including me or not among the "naysayers" but ...

Not only did I see a Janglebox but I even used to own and use one.
Even though I live just a few miles from Steve's (the owner) office, he refused to let me try one so I had to buy it.
It does do what it claims to. However it was hard, given my talent level and number of times I used it, to justify the (relatively) high cost. So, I sold mine on eBay at a very slight loss.

Quote:
The circuit design of the janglebox is the one that used to be in the rics when mcguinn used to play them.

Misleading.

There was no circuit design at all in the RIC 12 that McGuinn used in all of the Byrds hits that we know and love from the 60s.

There are several elements that made up McGuinn's sound. Some of these include: his use of metal picks, the guitar itself, the "tone is in the fingers" aspect as well as the use of studio compressors.

The signature model 370RM/12 with the onboard compressor did not show up until the 1980s!

Quote:
McGuinn uses a janglebox today.

Though I do not have any confirmation from Roger on this I believe it is not true.
McGuinn goes straight into the house PA system.
Though I know on the Jbox web site, Steve claims that Roger endorses (and uses) the device.

Old June 9th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

"It does do what it claims to. However it was hard, given my talent level and number of times I used it, to justify the (relatively) high cost. So, I sold mine on eBay at a very slight loss."

You are taking a critical look at this and have a mixed review. I'm assuming you were playing this through a Tele which is making quite an assumption. Did the sound knock your socks off or was it just an OK compressor pedal? If you played more and/or it cost less would you be a happy with it? I'm hoping that with the JB1 and JB2 that the price comes down on the JB1, but right now I'm really jazzed about how good it sounded with listening to their sound clips at their site that I just might spring for it anyway.
Thanks

Old June 10th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Televised View Post
You are taking a critical look at this and have a mixed review. I'm assuming you were playing this through a Tele which is making quite an assumption. Did the sound knock your socks off or was it just an OK compressor pedal? If you played more and/or it cost less would you be a happy with it? Thanks

No, I didn't own a Telecaster at the time.
I was only interested in getting a compressor for my RIC 12-string.

And to this day, I only use a compressor with my '12' and none of my six-strings, unless I'm just "fooling around."
To me, with a 'six' the compressor only creates a "boost."
But with a '12,' it makes the sound "shine."

Yes, I was happy enough with the sound.
At a lower price point I would have kept it.

Old June 10th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for your and everyone elses input. I think it's a matter of time, (probably about 20 minutes), before I go for it and will most likely get the JB#1.

Here was a thread from the Gretch forum and I may have picked it up on this forum but can't remember that gives a nice read and then sound comparison on different compression boxes including the "jangle box"

http://gretschpages.com/forum/other-...ar/7652/page1/

Old June 10th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Meister

A little birdie told me the Janglebox is essentially a MXR/Ross compressor with the treble de-emphasis left off. Apparently all you need to do to make any MXR/Ross comp into a Janglebox is to take out one cap. Janglebox II obviously has a few other things added. I've been meaning to try this out on my Tone Press (similar MXR/Ross compressor circuit), but haven't gotten in there and done it yet. If I get a chance to try this I'll probably add a switch so I can try both ways.
ibodog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Unlike other units that clip or distort the original signal, the JangleBox expands the compression “sweet spot” to maintain a clean, even tone, with true bypass.
I don't know what this pseudo-scientific ad copy is talking about - it expands the compression? Other compressors clip or distort? But it does sound nice in the clips.

The gretsch link was great too, it was nice to hear side by sides of different compressors.
Astro1176 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibodog View Post
A little birdie told me the Janglebox is essentially a MXR/Ross compressor with the treble de-emphasis left off. Apparently all you need to do to make any MXR/Ross comp into a Janglebox is to take out one cap. Janglebox II obviously has a few other things added. I've been meaning to try this out on my Tone Press (similar MXR/Ross compressor circuit), but haven't gotten in there and done it yet. If I get a chance to try this I'll probably add a switch so I can try both ways.
In the gretcsh pages clip, I did find the janglebox seemed to have a similar character to the mxr, but it seemed to be able to compress a lot more, maybe a bigger ratio?
Astro1176 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

I own several compressors... and a janglebox. one of my compressors is an mxr. I can categorically tell you (having taken them both apart) that they are not the same device.

I also own a tone press. You cannot achieve the same effect with it as you can with a 12 string electric and a janglebox.

if you can't afford one... move on. If you can and really want the true beauty of your 12 string to chime... get one...

Old June 11th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
McGuinn uses a janglebox today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBassman View Post
Though I do not have any confirmation from Roger on this I believe it is not true.
McGuinn goes straight into the house PA system.
Though I know on the Jbox web site, Steve claims that Roger endorses (and uses) the device.[/COLOR]
Hi, Steve Lasko from JangleBox here.

Mark is wrong. Roger goes from a wireless Sennheiser into one of his JangleBoxes into the house PA.

More to the point, no manufacturer in their right mind would ever fabricate an endorsement. If anyone were to suggest I made up Roger's endorsement on our website landing page, or his remarks in our artists' section, I could only imagine what their motivation is.
  • Roger has been forthright in his praise of the JangleBox since 2004. He has recommended us on his Byrds FAQ since 2005:
http://www.ibiblio.org/jimmy/mcguinn/ByrdsFAQ.html (scroll to the bottom).
  • See the November 2008 issue of Premier Guitar where he refers to the JangleBox as "the best compressor on the market today" and adds, "I use it all the time".
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...ins_Byrds.aspx
  • Although I haven't seen it yet, Roger was kind enough to notify me about two weeks ago that he praised the JangleBox in the recent May issue of the UK magazine, "Guitarist."
Check out our Media page http://www.janglebox.com/jangle_media.htm to see other internet publications where Roger speaks highly of the JangleBox.

Thank you to all who have shared your kind words about my products. I really appreciate it. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me directly at info@janglebox.com

--Steve Lasko
http://www.janglebox.com
JangleBox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Meister

Quote:
I own several compressors... and a janglebox. one of my compressors is an mxr. I can categorically tell you (having taken them both apart) that they are not the same device.
No they are not exactly the same device. However you should be able to make a relatively simple change to one of them to make it sound a LOT like the other.
Quote:
I also own a tone press. You cannot achieve the same effect with it as you can with a 12 string electric and a janglebox.
Agreed. You'd have to modify the tone press to approach the janglebox sound.
Quote:
if you can't afford one... move on. If you can and really want the true beauty of your 12 string to chime... get one...
Yeah, if you don't like soldering irons and don't know anyone else who does, then I'd say I agree.
ibodog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

ibodog,

You wrote that the janglebox and the mxr were 'essentially' the same box. They aren't.

The tone press is not an inexpensive box and modding it would reduce its resale significantly... and no matter if you reversed the procedures or not when you were done you WOULD NOT end up with a janglebox, you'd just end up with something you think sounds like a janglebox. The construction would not be the same. Again, I have had these boxes apart and I OWN THEM.

There are a lot of us who are handy with a soldering iron. Many of us (myself included) have built a bunch of pedals, guitars and amps. However, I also have a decent job where I would spend more money (based on what I cost per hour) to make a 'clone' of one than I would just to buy one... that is not the case for everyone.

So, what do we know: 1) The janglebox (according to those who responded who had actually played one) sound great and work as described. 2) The Janglebox is NOT the same as other boxes in construction or design 3) Roger McGuinn DOES use the Janglebox and DOES endorse it. 4) The Janglebox comes with a cost that some cannot afford. 5) A person who is 'handy' could mod other boxes to get a sound that might approach the sound of a janglebox based on reading on the internet and some soundclips heard over computer speakers.