Resolving RC20XL Noise Issue? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Resolving RC20XL Noise Issue?

For a while now, I've noticed that when things get loud on my setup, there's a pinging sound, almost like a submarine is trying to find its way out of my amp. I just ignored it for a while, but eventually got frustrated, and realized it seemed to be related to the LoopStation, and wondered how that could be, since increasing gain (compression or overdrive or whatever) before it in the chain would make it worse. Through some plugging and unplugging, I realized that it was a result of everything being chained together through a OneSpot adapter. If I completely take it out of the pedal chain, but leave it in the power chain, the noise is still there. So my natural thought is to just get a separate adapter to resolve the issue. But, I don't understand power... is it just that its chained with the OneSpot? If I plugged the LoopStation into the same spot on the wall or a surge protector or multi-plug extension cord or whatever, would the noise issue be resolved? I'm just new to this, so I'm asking for advice before I make any purchases.

danfromdsf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2009, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I have the RC20XL in my pedal board powered by a DC Brick and have not had that problem. Have you tried the Loop Station on battery power just to eliminate it out of the equation? Sometimes power supplies do not get along well with certain pedals. Sounds like you need an isolated power supply for the RC20XL.

What else do you have in the chain and what kind of amp do you have?
Are you using an effects loop?
vjf1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2009, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I haven't tried it with batteries - just had it out of the signal chain, but still plugged into the power chain, then out of everything entirely. I assume batteries would solve the problem, but I also assume a LoopStation must go through batteries like crazy. So I'm thinking just an isolated power supply should work. The amp is a Deville 212, and the chain varies, but usually has a TU-2, CS-2, FD-2, DL-4, Verbzilla, and RC20XL. I'm not using an effects loop. Just remembered that Tonecore pedals are supposed to be noisy when used with a OneSpot, so I should check with the Verbzilla too if I'm changing the power setup. The pinging is definitely coming from the RC20XL, though.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

So let me get this straight. The Loop Station is making the sonar noise when it is in the signal chain and in the power chain also correct? Do you have the "guide" knob turned to "off"?

Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Correct. The guide knob is turned off. It's a strange phenomenon!

Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Read the RC-20XL reviews at Harmony Central. Others have complained of this problem too.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r.../RC-20XL/100/1

I suspect, based on reading the reviews, that even though the volume for the guide tone is turned all the way down, it's still sending pulses out.

Doing this won't fix it but at least you'll know what the problem is:

Listen to your pinging sound.
Turn up the guide tone volume.
Is the ping tempo the same as the guide tone tempo?

With the volume up on the guide tone, set it to a different tempo or time signature
Turn guide tone volume down until you hear just the pinging again.

Does the ping tempo match the new guide tone that you set?

Other ideas:

Perhaps a noise gate would help?

Do you use a compressor? If so, try turning the compressor off as it may be boosting the ping.

You could try running an extension cord to a different outlet in your house that's on a different circuit (one controlled by a different breaker in your breaker box), just to help identify if it's the RC-20XL itself or something having to do with electrical wiring.
Honga Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

You are going to have to check it with a completely different power supply to isolate the problem. The One Spot is pretty good product but the RC20xl might need to have its own power supply or you need to step up to a Pedal Power 2, DC Brick, or other power supplies mentioned in the thread. You may be picking up artifacts from the power supply and it is being regenerated in the sample.

Try it with the batteries then see if you can get a hold of a Boss adaptor and try that in the signal chain. If the noise persists I would take it back where you bought it and get a new one.

I just got mine and have not experienced the problem you are having but my guess it has more to do with the One Spot than the RC20. The One Spot is great for basic pedals like an OD, compressor, or a analog delay but I personally would not use it for a device that's as complex as the RC20.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks so much for all the advice, both of you! It's true that it's probably more OneSpot than RC20XL, but they seem to be working together to be problematic. I've been sick lately, not really playing guitar, but I'll try batteries tomorrow to see if that helps, and see if I can snag another adapter from a friend to see if giving the RC20XL its own power adapter will solve the problem. If not, I might finally look into a power supply with isolated outputs.

Oh, and Honga Man: the compressor does make it worse. It's still there without compression, but basically any volume increase also increases the volume of the noise (which seems obvious now that I say it. Haha.)

Old April 26th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Try a boss power supply, I have seen issues with Boss pedals and non Boss adapters, most notably with the CS-3
winny pooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Trying a Boss PSA power supply makes sense. You've got a $250+ pedal there - don't skimp on the power supply.

FWIW, I paid US$25 for a Boss PSA adapator at Guitar Center in January or February of this year.

If nothing else, having the correct power supply will help (or at least won't hurt) resale value, should you ever sell your RC-20XL.
Honga Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2010, 02:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

hey..i have 2 problems with my loop station rc xl 20, i will try to write in english and i hope you understand me and help me..please.i really need it.
the 1st prob. in the 11 tracks i have..are with the red led lighting..i investigate and it was because the memory wasn't enough, so i tried to delete but i only can delete 3 or 4, the others continue lighting..i dont know how to erase or delete ...i make the same steps,and i only get 3 o 4 erased...and i dont know what to do..
is possible to restart the pedal, erase all the rec phrases?? or how can i delete.

The 2nd is with the guide...i watch in youtube that the pedal has various types of sounds in the guide.clicks, hi hats, etc etc..but in my pedal only sounds like the Red noise,like a signal very horrible..so i always put the volume in 0,,because is very noisely..i dont know how to configure that....

i think the best way will be to reset the pedal, but i dont know how to do that.

ok thanks i hope you can help me.
juan carlos is offline   Reply With Quote