Your "must haves" on pedalboard when playing a wide range of styles - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 6th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Your "must haves" on pedalboard when playing a wide range of styles

I'm looking to trim up the ole pedalboard. I've got too much crap on there now. I play alot of different styles and such from U2-ish, 70's rock, POP country (I call it), AC/DC, Blues-Rock and anything in between. Here is my current line up...

Guitar -> Volume> Wah > Tuner > EHX Small Stone Phaser > EHX Metal Muff > Sparkle Drive > Bad Monkey > Cool Cat Drive > Marshall Guv'nor > Compressor > Chorus > Analog Delay > Line6 Echo Park Delay modeler > amp.

My board is overflowing! Here is what I'm noticing I'm not playing much of:

Wah, Metal Muff, Compressor,

I would really like to get my drives down to 2. I'm thinking about keeping the Sparkle and either Marshall Guv'nor or Cool Cat Drive.

The Sparkle is versital with it's "Clean Blend" and the OD is basically a TS curcit (isn't everything it seams).

I'm thinking these are my "must haves" and I'm going to change my layout to this setup:
Guitar > Volume > tuner > Phaser > Sparkle Drive > Cool Cat Drive > Chorus > Echo Park > Amp

Might add a Fuzz down the road.

What are your "must haves" when playing a wide range musically?

J:

JKSteger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Man you have a lot of drive on there then again I'm no one to talk,

My board as of now is full with my essentials, Wah, Fuzz, 2 Od's and boosts, Vibe, trem, chourus(used to be my go to effect but don't use it much anymore) and delay.

Old April 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Very subjective stuff. My current board is in flux. I used to use my Quattro pedal for everything - compression, two gain stages, tremelo and analog delay. I'm using this now as a small "board" and it's a great unit.

I recently started playing in a trio and have to cover a lot of tones - From Adam Levy, to Derek Trucks to Nels Cline and Doyle Bramhall kind of dynamics, lots of clean tones and a fair bit of slide work. So now I'm building up a bigger board for that setting. I started with a Clyde Deluxe wah and a MDV-2 and they get turned on seldom but bring something good to the table. I run a couple of gain pedals - right now it's a newly acquired OCD v4 and a Liverpool - the Liverpool does a really nice low gain into an amp or can be dialed in to give a nice chimey clean flavor and works pretty darned good direct in case the amp dies. I'm shopping now for an additional flavor of gain - maybe a Barber LTD, a BB Preamp or a Zendrive, something that works well with the OCD. I don't find myself using a Fuzz tone - the OCD is fuzzy enough for my tastes. I'm trying the vibrato on the MDV-2 in place of tremelo - we'll see. Soon as I find the right delay I'm pretty much done.

Al this runs into an Allen Brown sugar 1x12 combo or Accomplice head with a 1x12 EV cab (or both). The "raw" knob on these amps can really change how the amp reacts to the pedals but I typically forget to turn around and tweak it. Pretty much keep them clean.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 6th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

My new Digitech Hardwire Valve Distortion is a must have now, since it does both tube overdrive and thicker distortion thanks to the crunch/saturation toggle. So if I had to have one dirt box, I'd go with that.

So, wah, Hardwire, delay, & tremolo would be "must have" for me. My flanger could stay at home if need be, and so could my fuzz. The Hardwire could also eliminate my Cool Cat Drive b/c of its versatility.

Old April 6th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Jekyll and Hyde (or Full Drive 2, or something similar)

I think the most underused effects are the knobs on your guitar. Everything sounds kind of like a fuzz if there's enough gain and you turn the tone knob down on your bridge pickup.

That being said, I do like having a board with a few different gain settings, a compressor, and delay (and a chorus or phaser). But really, I only ever find myself using one or two a night. I have a distortion dialed in for my Tele and one for my Les Paul, and the rest is all boost or extra.
www.ITSMARKCARTER.ca
markxander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Currently, my pedal board has blackstone>Budwah>OCD>HBE Lorba Fuzz>Retrosonic Chorus>Option 5 Phaser>MXR EVH Flanger>DLS Delay>Option 5 Destination Rotation.

Those are all "must have"
scooteraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

A good OD / fuzz pedal, a delay and a tuner if you play live. After that, everything else is just for fun IMHO.
castpolymer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by castpolymer View Post
A good OD / fuzz pedal, a delay and a tuner if you play live. After that, everything else is just for fun IMHO.
I'm really finding this to be true! Sometimes I think my feet works harder than my hands.

J:

Old April 6th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Currently I just have;
Fuzz-Delay-Reverb-amp

I occasionally throw back in wah, but every time I hear most modern wah usage I get sick of it, and take it out. Then I hear some Zappa or Chili Peppers. It'll depend on what songs I cover I guess, if wah will be in my chain.

Old April 6th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

GoudieFX Compressor, Fulltone FD-2, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, Diaz Tremodillo and Dr. Scientist RRR. Covers most of what I need.

I have a Green Big Muff and a Deluxe Electric Mistress I can throw in the mix in a pinch.
AngryEL34s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

A good quality cable...

(and a TU-2 for underneath the amp so it tilts backwards a bit)

www.chrisCclemens.nl
Chris Clemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'm playing with what sounds like a similar band: Carrie Underwood to Pink to U2 to Pat Benatar to CCR. Current set up is:

Wah > Fuzz > tuner > Dano CO1 > Rocktron Austin Gold > Line6 Roto > VolPedal > DigiDelay > Marshall Reverb > Dr. Z Carmin Ghia

• Wah --- I'm doing some songs that actually need it to cover, but I'm usually not a big wah player
  • Fuzz & CO1 --- I could get away with only one of these two as I rarely use both in the same song, but I do like the variations they give
  • Austin Gold --- mostly clean boost but it's different than punching up the volume pedal. Also, makes it easier to adjust for different guitar volumes.
  • Line6 Roto --- this spot keeps getting changed around. I've also used a TremVibe in the same spot; keep thinking about a phase; maybe a chorus. But unless you need to comp records note for note and tone for tone, I think this is a spot where you can just pick one and figure out how to use it for your band.
  • Volume --- Using this more the longer I've had it. I keep it backed off just a bit from max in case I need just a little more boost; does nice things for background textural sounds; faux strings and keyboard. Of course, if I ever learned to properly use a guitar's volume knob I wouldn't need it.
  • Reverb & Delay --- could probably just use one of these, the reverb has a plate setting that could take care of most things in that area for me. On the other hand, if you play in big enough spaces with amps turned up enough there is almost no need for reverb at your feet.
If I wanted to minimize, I'd probably use:
Fuzz > CO1 > Roto > Reverb

But that would also mean more pedal tweaking between songs and learning to use a vol knob for swells.

http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/data/...tandzsmall.jpg
telel6s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Essential pedal? = Tuner.

It's the only one that's actually essential.
Reverb? maybe, does the amp not have reverb?

Old April 6th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

My "travelboard" is comp=>od=>delay. When I feel like carrying extra weight, I'll add a wah at the beginnig of the chain. Covers pretty much everything I need.

Old April 7th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

tuner pedal for starters. a good amp too.

but if you're going to be hauling all that around for a COVER band, why not go multi? You may sacrifice tone but being able to save patches will be so much easier on you than altering your settings for each pedal on every song/set. It should also let you plug in directly to the mixer in case you don't want to bring an amp.

yes, you sacrifice a bit of the sound but the convenience is there for you.

why not invest in a really good one? The new Line 6 or the TC unit comes to mind, but that's just IMO.

good luck!
dalandan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalandan View Post
tuner pedal for starters. a good amp too.

but if you're going to be hauling all that around for a COVER band, why not go multi? You may sacrifice tone but being able to save patches will be so much easier on you than altering your settings for each pedal on every song/set. It should also let you plug in directly to the mixer in case you don't want to bring an amp.

yes, you sacrifice a bit of the sound but the convenience is there for you.

why not invest in a really good one? The new Line 6 or the TC unit comes to mind, but that's just IMO.

good luck!
I've actually thought about this one alot. I've been trying to nail down the "sound" of the song I'm covering too. Not bad with classic rock but man, some of thoes U2 and Floyd songs get a little crazy with delay and effects. At this point I've decided to stay with my board but last night I trimmed the fat. My chain is this: guitar > tuner > small stone > sparkle drive > cool cat drive > volume pedal > compressor > chorus > Line6 delay > amp. I went through some songs and I can hit about 90% or everthing with this setup. So what if some of the stranger delay/echo on some of the songs are not 100% accurate. It's live and I don't think anyone really cares...except me and I'm over it

J:

Old April 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxander View Post
Jekyll and Hyde (or Full Drive 2, or something similar)

I think the most underused effects are the knobs on your guitar. Everything sounds kind of like a fuzz if there's enough gain and you turn the tone knob down on your bridge pickup.
He's right, I was stacking a Tube Screamer and Timmy today with outrageous gain settings (and my bridge pickup tone waaay down) and got some fun splatty tones.

I also got this weird kind of reverse-decay on the low notes, where the attack was well pronounced but then "expanded" into mush, it was really fun, but hard to explain. Now, to put that in a song!
Tele/Les Pauls/Strats->Diamond Compressor->Pitchblack->Diamond Phase->'86 BF Rat->TIM->Analogman TS9/808->Ibanez SC-10->Diamond Tremolo->Eventide TimeFactor->DIY SHO w/ Master Volume->Vox AC15C1 or Marshall 1962 RI w/ KT66s
SackvilleDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

tuner
verb
trem
dirt

-or-

Just get a multi-effects unit. 99% of the audience can't tell the diff between boutique effects and a Pod. As gearheads we're loath to admit it, but we all know it's true.
cwcowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I don't play out but i can not imagine needing more than what i have now -

guitar>Korg Pitchblack>Monsterpiece MKII fuzz> Boss BD2 OD>Holy Grail Reverb>amp (Champion 600)
TIMP3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Compression -> Overdrive -> Volume Pedal -> Delay. Amp MUST have reverb (I use DRs). I use 2 DD-3 delays for preset long & short echo. I have done countless gigs with that rig over the years in many styles using both Tele and Strat.

My current rig is all old Boss pedals with the exception of an early '80s RAT which is fun about 2 songs a night.

Pedal I should remove from the board: Boss CE-2 chorus. I just don't like chorus, it's a placeholder. Perhaps a better phase shifter than my old Phase 90 that's in the closet.

Pedal I keep thinking I should get after 30 years: some wah-wah. Never got around to it.
bradpdx is offline   Reply With Quote