RING MODULATORS - any experience? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 25th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

RING MODULATORS - any experience?

So Iím interested in ring modulators, as I havenít ever had one, and I think I could get a lot of enjoyment out of one.

Iím specifically thinking of the EHX Frequency Analyzer - more for cost than anything else - though will consider other recommendations. Iím aware it doesnít have expression pedal control or the tremolo effect that can be achieved with some other units, but this isnít an issue for me.

I have this plan in mind to run it las in my chain so I can run loops through it - specifically, creating a seamless single note drone loop so I can manipulate the pitch on the loop and tune the ring mod accordingly.... Iím figuring I just might be able to get some cool theramin type drones out of a setup like that.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/experience you might like to share with me on ring mods?

Tibbonds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hi Tibbonds,

You probably guessed I was gonna sugest the ModFactor, expression pedal compatible and absolute music have them for £259 with free next day delivery at the moment. (good deal to me)

I have no connection to absolute, other than I have used them for my eventide boxes and my Fander CS Nocaster - Very happy with the service

Cheers

BMF
badmelonfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thatís a really good price on the Modfactor, but Iím a little bit anti-digital when it comes to modulation stuff. I can see the appeal of tap tempo and presets etc, but Iíve never been impressed with any digital modulation before.... which is funny being that I much prefer digital when it comes to delays and reverbs.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 25th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Just thought I'd mention it.

Understand that it may not be your thing.

The presets at suprisingly good, I was not thinking of getting one till i had a play and i was hooked and at that price, I thought I would fund it by flogging some of my separate stomps.

I am a bit of a sucker when it comes to rotary sounds.

Cheers

BMF

Old February 25th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

No no, I appreciate the suggestion. You're gonna end up with an all Eventide board, aren't you???

Old February 25th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

The ZVEX ringtone looks like an interesting box.
jinx667 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbonds View Post
No no, I appreciate the suggestion. You're gonna end up with an all Eventide board, aren't you???
Nearly!

So far it is looking like it will be this....

AV52ri>
MXR DynaComp>
EHX Big Muff With Tone Wicker>
Digitech Bad Monkey>
Keeley DS-1>
Pod X3Live>
Pod X3Live FXSEND>
Eventide PF>
Eventide MF>
Eventide TF>
Pod X3Live FX Rerurn>
Pod X3Live out to the PA

Boss FV-500L as expression pedal for the Eventides and the shared tap tempo as we have previously discussed.

looking to experiment with using MIDI between the eventides and X3Live

The Eventide order is TBD as Eventide were sugesting PF>TF>MF, but I would have thought the MF would be better before the TF.

I may loose the bad monkey

Cheers

BMF

Old February 25th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmelonfarmer View Post

The Eventide order is TBD as Eventide were sugesting PF>TF>MF, but I would have thought the MF would be better before the TF.
That's the way I would do it, cos I generally find modulation sounds better (to me, at least) after delay.

Reason being, if you use trem and delay, unless you've got the tempos perfectly synched up it gets messy, whereas if you run the delay before the trem, the stuttering stays completely constant and it sounds more 'together'.

Same with anything that has a sweep to it (phase, flange etc) - if you run the delay first, the sweep stays constant and your repeats still run through it, rather than your repeats being a static echo of just one point within the sweep.

Your rig sounds like it's going to be a LOT of fun!

Old February 25th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbonds View Post
That's the way I would do it, cos I generally find modulation sounds better (to me, at least) after delay.

Reason being, if you use trem and delay, unless you've got the tempos perfectly synched up it gets messy, whereas if you run the delay before the trem, the stuttering stays completely constant and it sounds more 'together'.

Same with anything that has a sweep to it (phase, flange etc) - if you run the delay first, the sweep stays constant and your repeats still run through it, rather than your repeats being a static echo of just one point within the sweep.

Your rig sounds like it's going to be a LOT of fun!
Interesting, as I always tend to run mod early, obviously with the exception of rotarys. but I take youe point of view and figure eventide may know just enough

yeah, I am hoping that it will be a lot of fun too

oh, I guess the EHX SMMwH, if I keep it, would go just before the FX return after the eventides.

then I just have to have a bit of a play to see if the FXLoop is better pre or post amp models on the pod, in my mind I am 50/50 on this.

Out of interest ... what's your set up like and what sort of stuff do you do? based on your comments about using loops and ring mods for drones it sounds like it might be interesting.

Cheers

BMF

Old February 25th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My current pedal chain is as follows:

Heavily modded cry baby
DIY Ross compressor clone
Digitech Synth Wah
DIY Lovepedal Eternity clone
DIY Turbo Rat
Boss RE-20
EHX SMMH
4MS Phaseur Fleur
DIY EA Trem
EHX Holiest Grail

There's a Dano Fish & Chips, a Behringer Tuner and a Behringer Pitch Shifter too, which I've taken out of the chain for the moment as I'm in a period of transition at the moment and I'm currently just playing at home.

DIY stuff I have the parts for and need to get round to building:

-A TB loop to put the Synth Wah, tuner and pitch shifter in.
-An order switcher so I can change the order of the SMMH and the RE-20 with the flick of a switch.
-A couple of SHOs to run as buffers (one near the start and one near the end of the chain).
-Roger Mayer Mongoose Fuzz

I've also just acquired a Russian Big Muff and Bass Balls from my brother, though I don't think the Bass Balls will make it onto the board. I intend on modding the Russian Muff to be TB and have it's own effects loop so I can put the Dano EQ in there and have ultimate control over the mids (rather than doing the scoop/flat/boost toggle mod).

So after all that's done, it'll be something a little more like:

DIY SHO clone
Heavily modded cry baby
DIY Ross compressor clone
TB loop containing Tuner, Pitch shifter and Synth Wah
DIY RM Mongoose Fuzz
Russian Muff (with EQ in it's loop)
DIY Lovepedal Eternity clone
DIY Turbo Rat
Boss RE-20
EHX SMMH
4MS Phaseur Fleur
DIY EA Trem
EHX Holiest Grail
DIY SHO clone

Future purchases hopefully this year will be:

A ring mod ;)
Timefactor
Small Clone - which I plan on modding heavily

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand I'll be done. Probably. For a little while. Maybe. I'll still want a POG, I reckon!

I play lots of ambient stuff. I'm not a very technical player, I just lie making a LOT of noise :)

Old February 25th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

sounds a cool and interesting setup.

I am a big fan of the muffs, been through a few myself settled on the current tonewicker version. works well with cutting through. not into modding fx ... due to lack of ability LOL.

The POG is an interesting beast, I would like to keep mine, but i might have to let it go if to get the pitch factor. But it will be the last one to go! kinda hoping I can get the Pitch Factor do the POG thing, but I am not really holding my breath on that one as it is not designed to do the mental pog thang.

Ambient is cool, trying to work on some ambient stuff myself with a drummer friend of mine, we both have our own bands on the go and both being dads, it is taking ages to get the tracks back and fore LOL.

I use some of the BandDelays from the TF in my band in a song that has a real ambient groove, if you get a TF and are into your ambient stuff then you are gonna dig the "guitars in space" preset as a starting base for some real wacky stuff, especially if you are thinking of feeding some drone loops, that could be REALLY cool!

there is a similar vibe preset on the MF - Undulator seems like it has a lot of ambient promise too.

I am not a technical player either

cheers

BMF

Old February 25th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The band delay is one of the things I really want a TF for - it sounds amazing on clips I have heard.

There are far too many pedals I want, I'm really terrible.

Jinx667 - the Ringtone actually looks REALLY great, I just kind wish it had the mix pot externally.

Old February 25th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I use a Frostwave Blueringer for my ring modulation.
It is an amazing sounding piece of kit.

Old February 25th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I use a Frostwave Blueringer for my ring modulation.
It is an amazing sounding piece of kit.

+1
Beatbx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Frostwave appear not to be trading for a while, sadly. What parameters can you control with their expression pedal?

My only experience is my Modfactor but it doesn't sound like what you need. The ringmod is my favourite effect on the Modfactor: the benefits of complete programmability, presets and limitless exp pedal mapping really take off. I've got 8 presets devoted to the ringmod, I couldn't do it with another pedal. It does sound digital - not nasty digital, just pristine digital, but it never gives you a hug. (I've started a thread on here seeking recommendations for an over-affectionate pedal to go after my Eventides).

Badmelonfarmer - I couldn't decide what order to put TF/MF either till someone pointed me towards LoopMaster's Effect Sequence Reverser, my next buy.
beachowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 01:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

My experience with ring modulators is pretty thin. On a tune that I cut quite a few years back, I wanted some of the sounds I'd heard on Jeff Beck's Wired record. I borrowed a buddy's MoogerFooger ring mod. It sounded awesome, but I have to say that I spent a fair amount of time tweaking the knobs to the key of the tune. I'd get it dialed in, and then there'd be an interval that didn't work, so it was back to tweaking. For these reasons, it'd be tough for me to justify a spot on the board for a dedicated analog ring mod. I wasn't aware that there are programmable digital units with presets available. That said, I'd speculate that the sonic character of something like a Moog (or comparable) would be tough to beat, practicality notwithstanding.

If you want something that gets some ring mod character minus the tuning and tweaking, any number of 'octave up' devices that are based on old Tychobrahe, FOXX, and Roger Mayer Octavia circuit designs can be pretty cool.
Tim Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote