Xotic AC Booster (compared to RC)? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 11th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Xotic AC Booster (compared to RC)?

I might use both ...

I have the RC Boost and love what it does to the front end of my signal ... especially at live volumes. I understand the AC is a bit more colored but not a lot ... maybe a Vox-ish tone. I might like to use them both as options on the front end.

Seeing that I'm pretty satisifed with the RC, what can anyone tell me about the AC? What can I expect? OK to directly compare to the RC since I have one ... will help make some sense of it all.

Old October 11th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Have you checked out the Xotic website? They have extensive info on the "temendous trio" as well as very informative videos. I myself have an AC+ but I can't help because I've never demo'd an RC.

The website is www.prosoundcommunications.com
mkern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

AC =dumble inspired boost

RC = "rig compensator" or a clean boost with active EQ
dalandan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 13th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have an RC and used to have an AC. I liked the AC a lot. It is a good medium gain overdrive. Compared to the RC it has much more gain available and adds a little more compression. It colors the tone somewhat but it does not have that tube screamer mid hump thing. The EQ controls are extremely responsive just as they are on the RC. I used to use them together a lot but I have changed amplifiers and I don't use a pedal for my dirty tone anymore. I still have an RC on my board as a clean boost.
romo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have also heard tons of explainations for the names of these pedals.
AC = Almost Clean boost
AC = cranked AC30 tone
Dumble inspired is a new one, I don't think it sounds very Dumble but I can only compare it to recordings since I have never plugged into a Dumble myself.
RC = Really Clean boost

I don't know what the real logic is behind the naming system of these Xotic pedals.
romo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The AC is not Dumble inspired. As I understand it, the intent was a modern Tube Screamer that was more "open"
mkern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Love my RC - sold the AC.
The AC has lots of gain and a definite mid-hump. To me it sounded like a better Tubescreamer.
I think the name is misleading. The AC is more an overdrive than a booster.
tonfarbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

According to Xotic:

RC = "Really Clean"

AC = "Almost Clean"

BB = "Bluesbreaker"

As mkern and tonfarbe said, the AC is tubescreamer-esque, with more of a mid-hump than the others. Of the three, the AC gets the most mixed reviews. Some of it seems to be according to the amp you're using it through, some of it seems to be according to whether or not you like the mid-hump TS sound.

Old October 13th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Update: I tried the Xotic RC, AC and BB together today. (I already own the RC and love that pedal). I decided to take the BB home.

This might work. Both the RC and BB can run on the OD channel rather than in the clean channel.

The treble and bass controls on the RC are about midway ... The RC is just a cool tone ... fattens up everything up while remaining clear.

The BB requires added treble and bass with a higher gain but it gives a tight distortion on top of the OD. It's not metal, but I didn't need to go quite that far.

Both pedals and the raw Brown Note signal can be balanced with the level control on these pedals. They also have active treble and bass controls along with the gain.
Both pedals clean up really well when you back of the guitar's volume control. This is the best thing about the Xotic pedal line.

I won't be able to test it with the band this week but my tests have gone well today. This might work!

I have the active loop coming shortly and will run both new Digitech Hardwire Delay and Reverb units in the loop.

I had to spend some $ but - think I'm close.

Old October 15th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

well, i've read various things on the net saying that the AC has more of a dumble-inspired tone. the bb is more marshall-y while the rc is a clean boost. i read from the xotic site in the past that RC means Rig Compensator. meaning it should be able to compensate for a long line of pedals without signal degradation.

anyway, no matter what they're supposed to be, the sound is what matters. i love the RC and BB. not the AC. but it's a choice.

Old October 15th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

RC Fan!!

Old October 16th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I tried the RC and the AC together today. The RC is definitely more transparent - but it also has only a negligible amount of gain and I'm looking for something that can put a little more hair on my signal.

Tomorrow I plan to try out the Fulltone Fat Drive and maybe Subdecay Liquid Sunshine and see who wins. But right now the AC Booster is a very strong contender!
graphs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

the RC and AC are actually the same pedal with a few different parts inside. they follow the same schematic though. that's why they sound similar. :)

Old October 17th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

really eh?

i feel like the RC has just a bit too little gain and the AC just a bit too much. that's the only thing keeping me from buying the AC today... half the gain knob is unuseable. considering the only other pedal i'm interested in is out of stock everywhere in the city, i might just go for it anyway. it is a really great sounding pedal on the lower settings.
graphs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalandan View Post
the RC and AC are actually the same pedal with a few different parts inside. they follow the same schematic though. that's why they sound similar. :)
Bingo!

The interesting thing is that neither is really a booster in the classic sense.

They are both TS variants, with the main difference being an active EQ (Baxandall) bootstrapped off of the recovery (second) gain stage.

The AC and RC are basically monozygotic, with only a few differences:
-AC has one extra cap in the tone circuit
-RC has more interstage attenuation at two points in the circuit
-RC has a 250K drive pot instead of trad. 500K TS value in the AC
-AC has asymmetrical diode clipping setup identical to Boss SD-1
-RC has 3 1N14148 diodes X2 for greatly reduced clipping

The BB is a little more interesting, circuitwise, IMO. The first two gain stages are pretty much chapter and verse TS, but the 2nd stage features "fixed" tone circuitry where a tone pot would be in a TS. The third stage is a moderate boost, and the fourth stage is the Baxandall active EQ like in the AC and RC. It has 2X 1N14148 symm. clipping w/51pF cap just like a TS, but a 1M drive pot like a Boss SD-1.

They are really cool designs, but I'm not clear as to why they were monikered as boosts/preamps. Maybe a fear of being branded as just another TS variant, but I think it's of little consequence. I love the RC's light drive capabilities, and have been waiting for someone to package a TS variant with a circuit like that (maybe minus the active EQ). I can see how folks would fall in love with the AC or BB, as well.