What's the best volume pedal? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 18th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

What's the best volume pedal?

I'm on a volume pedal search...

I've had a Morley Little Alligator and a Morley Pro+ Volume Pedal and neither had a good sweep. I used a EB VP Jr. for a little while but I felt it killed my tone a little but that could also be because I had it first in the chain and was using the tuner out (both of these things I've read could decrease the highs/volume of the overall output of the pedal...).

Any other suggestions? Should I try the EB VP Jr. again and place it after my dirt pedal?

Old September 18th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Much love for the Ernie Ball stuff here, used them for decades.

If a passive volume pedal (like the EB) is used (making sure it is the high impedance model for guitar!) then it is best placed near the end of the chain in order to provide control over the OUTPUTS of the distortion/compression devices. The INPUTS are already controlled from your guitar volume knob.

In order to avoid the usual high frequency roll-off that occurs when any high impedance pot is used to drive a cable, I place a buffer amp immediately after the EB output; in my case that means using a Boss delay pedal for this purpose (actually 2 of them set for different delays). This keeps the tone 100% the same over the sweep of the pedal.

On such a rig, I am using both the guitar volume control and the EB. The EB controls overall level, while the guitar volume control affects the behavior of the compressor and distortion pedals.
bradpdx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradpdx View Post
Much love for the Ernie Ball stuff here, used them for decades.

If a passive volume pedal (like the EB) is used (making sure it is the high impedance model for guitar!) then it is best placed near the end of the chain in order to provide control over the OUTPUTS of the distortion/compression devices. The INPUTS are already controlled from your guitar volume knob.

In order to avoid the usual high frequency roll-off that occurs when any high impedance pot is used to drive a cable, I place a buffer amp immediately after the EB output; in my case that means using a Boss delay pedal for this purpose (actually 2 of them set for different delays). This keeps the tone 100% the same over the sweep of the pedal.

On such a rig, I am using both the guitar volume control and the EB. The EB controls overall level, while the guitar volume control affects the behavior of the compressor and distortion pedals.
Thanks for the advice! So if I get another EB VP Jr. and place it before my DD-6 and Tuner, would that help?

The signal would be:

Boss SD-1 > Boss TR-2 > Phase 90 (modified for true-bypass)> Volume Pedal > Boss DD-6 > Boss TU-2

A few more ?s:
Would this keep my tone/volume/highs in tact?
Is it awful to use the tuner out feature?
Is this the pedal I'd want? - Ernie Ball 6180 Junior Size Volume Pedal-Mono, 250K?

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 18th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I like the Visual Volume pedal myself. With all due respect, running stock Boss pedals kills your tone and no volume pedal will restore it. Maybe consider getting yourself a couple of nice boutique pedals with true by-pass.
mkern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkern View Post
I like the Visual Volume pedal myself. With all due respect, running stock Boss pedals kills your tone and no volume pedal will restore it. Maybe consider getting yourself a couple of nice boutique pedals with true by-pass.
I hear your point. All the Boss pedals have been modified by Analogman so they're better than stock Boss but I know what you mean. I've been thinking of swapping the SD-1 for a Fulldrive 2. I like my TR-2. Tried a Tremulator but I didn't like the huge volume boost.

I'll check Visual Volume out.

Old September 19th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

+1 for Fulldrive. Good pedals. I deal a guy who specializes in effects and he has a phenomenal selection of goodies.
mkern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My only thing is I have a solid state amp so I'm not sure it will do the Fulldrive justice...

Old September 19th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Sho-bud, i think.
dalandan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMurphy28 View Post
Thanks for the advice! So if I get another EB VP Jr. and place it before my DD-6 and Tuner, would that help?

The signal would be:

Boss SD-1 > Boss TR-2 > Phase 90 (modified for true-bypass)> Volume Pedal > Boss DD-6 > Boss TU-2
The only thing I'm curious about is the placement of the TU-2. Is it being used to also mute the whole thing? Because otherwise, it seems like you'd want to tune on a straight signal and not a distorted, phased and echoed signal.

Otherwise, that's a reasonable chain.

Old September 19th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatelliteOrders View Post
The only thing I'm curious about is the placement of the TU-2. Is it being used to also mute the whole thing? Because otherwise, it seems like you'd want to tune on a straight signal and not a distorted, phased and echoed signal.

Otherwise, that's a reasonable chain.
When tuning I keep everything else off. I didn't like how the TU-2 interacted before the SD-1. Might be better with a fulldrive... My favorite guitarist at the moment is David Grissom and he uses a fulldrive which sounds awesome. He also has a Badcat Panther and PRS so I don't think anything could sound bad really through that amp.......

Old September 19th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMurphy28 View Post

The signal would be:

A few more ?s:
Would this keep my tone/volume/highs in tact?
Is it awful to use the tuner out feature?
Is this the pedal I'd want? - Ernie Ball 6180 Junior Size Volume Pedal-Mono, 250K?
Yes, that setup will keep your highs intact as the pedal is moved.
The tuner should be up front so the effects don't mess up your intonation.
The volume pedal you selected is just dandy.

Old September 19th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

+ 1 on the TU-2 placement, AND on the EB.
Reliable, durable, and easy to fix on the fly should anything happen to it.
Rombel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombel View Post
+ 1 on the TU-2 placement, AND on the EB.
Reliable, durable, and easy to fix on the fly should anything happen to it.
Cool - thanks for the comments. I'll give the TU-2 a try up front tonight at the gig.

Old September 20th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Ernie Ball Jr. Volume pedal, but I keep my compressor before vol pedal, it works ok for me.
whiskeytown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Get a Goodrich, perfectly smooth sweep and NO tonal change.
Their not cheap, but are well worth the money.

http://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/goodrich.php

www.myspace.com/reubenadkins
teleman77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
kp8
Friend of Leo's

i been totally happy with the new offering from Boss. I like it much better than the EB.

kp8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

After using my Ernie Ball Jr. Volume pedal for a couple of years, I can honestly say that I'm pretty happy with it. I use it before my delay pedal for the "swells", and it doesn't chop off the effected delay. I also use the tuner out to my tuner, so my sound is "purer".

http://www.myspace.com/francisbalagtas
franchelB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2008, 05:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp8 View Post
i been totally happy with the new offering from Boss. I like it much better than the EB.

+1

Had the ernie ball and the jr. Boss kills them both. Clearer, cleaner, less tone suck. I don't like the sweep as much, but like I said, less tone suck, heavy duty, awesome pedal.

Music makes one feel so romantic - at least it always gets on one's nerves - which is the same thing nowadays.
-Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)
MBradford6288 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2008, 06:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBradford6288 View Post
Had the ernie ball and the jr. Boss kills them both. Clearer, cleaner, less tone suck. I don't like the sweep as much, but like I said, less tone suck, heavy duty, awesome pedal.
You only get "tone suck" when you allow a high impedance pot to drive a reactive load - and so a high impedance volume pedal like the EB or the Boss FV-500H simply MUST be interfaced with an appropriate buffer amp.

This is exactly the same reason why volume controls on passive guitars are inadequate - the reactance of a guitar cable is simply too great, and those 250K/500K pots react with very audible effects. This is simply a compromise left over from the ancient passive technology used in the guitars we like so much.

I use a Boss DD-2 as that buffer amp - the EB only drives 1 foot of cable, and thus the tone is totally consistent over the travel of the pedal - no treble loss at all. The same would be true for the Boss pedal.

Note: Boss may include a bypass cap to stem the treble loss, just as some players do on guitar volume controls. This cap (if used) should be removed if you wish to use a buffer amp, as it will create a treble boost as the pedal is turned down.

I am surprised that after all these years neither Boss or nor EB make a simple active pedal that avoids all of these silly problems. So easy to design and make!

Old September 26th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradpdx View Post
I am surprised that after all these years neither Boss or nor EB make a simple active pedal that avoids all of these silly problems. So easy to design and make!
Sheesh, go for it -- I bet lots of the TDPRI folks would buy one off you!