Clean Boost build - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Stomp Box
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The Stomp Box Effects pedals and their effect on your playing.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 20th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Clean Boost build

Hey guys, I'd like to thank ibobunot for recommending the AMZ Mosfet Booster to me to build.

I built it from scratch while waiting on my Rangemaster's parts to arrive. In my search for parts locally, I found an old place with all kinds of NOS Germanium transistors, Mosfet transistors, and all kinds of very cool stuff!

It doesn't have a footswitch yet and I used stereo jacks for now (I'm obviously out of a lot of parts!), but it works great!!!

3 Gibsons, 5 Teles, assorted other guitars, about a dozen amps, about two dozen pedals, a Smith & Wesson SW40VE, & a .40 SIG Sauer P226R = too many toys, no money, carpal tunnel, and a serious hearing problem.
JohnnyCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

Hey Johnny, you might consider going and getting a bunch of those Germanium transistors. Aren't they kinda rare-ish? You could make a bunch of cool Sixties-flavored fuzztones and make some of that boo-teek pedal money!

Cheers, Tim
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

They had bags full of Germanium transistors. Brand new, individually wrapped. Some were new old stock that had been repackaged.

As far as this booster, I've had a chance to play with it a bit...

It goes from a nice, modest clean boost (making pickups a bit more punchier and present) to a big crunchy boost. It doesn't push tube preamps, it shoves them.

My only problem is the 5k Audio taper Gain pot. It doesn't have a lot of play. The last half is an all of the sudden boost, the first half barely boosts at all. Maybe a Linear taper or a 10k... but 10k may not work out so well...

3 Gibsons, 5 Teles, assorted other guitars, about a dozen amps, about two dozen pedals, a Smith & Wesson SW40VE, & a .40 SIG Sauer P226R = too many toys, no money, carpal tunnel, and a serious hearing problem.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 20th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, them ore I play this thing, the more I love it - but the more frustrated I am with the 5k pot!!

It only has a real usefull range from 3 o'clock to 5 o'clock (max). Trying to find different shades between those spots is very narrow.

Very cool sounds though - a perfect clean boost - exactly what I was looking for (other than the pot issue)! Thanks for the tip again ibobunot!!!

Old July 20th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Jack Orman kicks ass, a lot of the boo-teek favorites are based on his designs.

ibobunot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

A 5k linear pot would be a worthwhile experiment -- of course, then you'll post that the gain comes on too soon!

- Scott

P.S. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the pot was supposed to be linear -- generally, it's when a pot needs to be audio taper that they'll be specific...
ThermionicScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S View Post
A 5k linear pot would be a worthwhile experiment -- of course, then you'll post that the gain comes on too soon!

- Scott

P.S. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the pot was supposed to be linear -- generally, it's when a pot needs to be audio taper that they'll be specific...

I'm sure a Linear will work better. It dumps to ground and an Audio taper seems a little boneheaded in this use.

Now if I can just get my NPN transistor hammered down in my NegGround Rangemaster build...