87/88 teles - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Squier Tele Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Squier Tele Forum Fender's Squier brand makes tons of interesting Telecasters. Talk about them all here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 15th, 2013, 05:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

87/88 teles

I bought a squier tele for 30, it's in pretty poor shape but I can save it. Trying to figure out if squiers from the late 80's are any good or total pish?

Any info would be great!

hesleptonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Given the time period I'd assume it was made in Japan? If so those are well worth saving.

Old August 15th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaul View Post
Given the time period I'd assume it was made in Japan? If so those are well worth saving.
I think it's Korean made, serial number starts with E10 and is in silver.

I know squier made some decent guitars in the 80's but also know they made some poor guitars.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 15th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

If it's Korean made it should say "made in Korea," if Japanese made it should say "made in Japan." Some of the Japanese made Squiers had no "made in" label but the tuners said "Fender Japan" on them. If the tuners are the trapazoid cheapos, it's almost certainly made in Korea. The Japanese ones, if I recall correctly, had better quality sealed round tuners.

The Japanese squiers are generally considered better quality than the Korean ones. Still, I like the Korean-made squiers a lot. The tuners are generally the weak point, and the bridge pickups aren't great as a rule, but they often have really nice necks. Is it a top loader?

Old August 15th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaul View Post
If it's Korean made it should say "made in Korea," if Japanese made it should say "made in Japan." Some of the Japanese made Squiers had no "made in" label but the tuners said "Fender Japan" on them. If the tuners are the trapazoid cheapos, it's almost certainly made in Korea. The Japanese ones, if I recall correctly, had better quality sealed round tuners.

The Japanese squiers are generally considered better quality than the Korean ones. Still, I like the Korean-made squiers a lot. The tuners are generally the weak point, and the bridge pickups aren't great as a rule, but they often have really nice necks. Is it a top loader?
Just home from work and it is make in Korea. The neck is nice. Tuners are ggotoh (no idea) ill upload some pictures, she's been slapped about over the years. Check out the pots. Snapped ran off! God knows how!

Old August 15th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-697448304.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	193736

Name:	image-3317125095.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	193737

Name:	image-2822883455.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	193738

Name:	image-3715525459.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	193739

Old August 15th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

If the neck is comfortable and you are handy with a soldering iron I say "go for it." You'll learn a lot and end up with an axe that is what you want. There is a ton (a tonne?) of advice here on the forum on every aspect of working on teles.

If you don't feel comfortable working on it, then maybe not. It has no real intrinsic value other than if you like playing it.

Old August 15th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpJockey View Post
If the neck is comfortable and you are handy with a soldering iron I say "go for it." You'll learn a lot and end up with an axe that is what you want. There is a ton (a tonne?) of advice here on the forum on every aspect of working on teles.

If you don't feel comfortable working on it, then maybe not. It has no real intrinsic value other than if you like playing it.
Yeah I've done a few builds before so should be ok. Just before I rip it apart, wanted to make sure it wasn't worth keeping as it is!

Thanks man!

Old August 16th, 2013, 03:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

My understanding is the the 80s non-Japanese Squiers are considered to be bad quality. Before Korean production was moved to Cort etc.

Old August 16th, 2013, 05:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by weelie View Post
My understanding is the the 80s non-Japanese Squiers are considered to be bad quality. Before Korean production was moved to Cort etc.
Yeah I thought that would be the case! Cheers!