Opinions on Squier Standard Teles please - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Squier Tele Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Squier Tele Forum Fender's Squier brand makes tons of interesting Telecasters. Talk about them all here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Opinions on Squier Standard Teles please

I'm new to Teles and I'm wondering what people's opinions of Squier Standard Teles.

Last edited by kimanistar; March 23rd, 2013 at 08:07 PM.
kimanistar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Look.

Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Standards are awesome, ive had two affinity's that just didnt cut it, my standard is the only guitar ive not swapped/sold.
jamiehurst is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 24th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I wish they currently came with a maple neck option, but I really like the Squier Standards.

I've owned I dont know how many Teles since the late 70s, including some pre-CBS models.

I'm certainly not saying the Squier Standard is the best Tele on the market, or the best I ever owned, but as far as what was in my price range, I got one over an MIM Fender Tele (because I prefer the neck and pickups) and the CVs and VM Squiers (because the necks on the ones of those Ive played are too thin for my tastes.)

I do think the hardware and electronics on the CVs and VMs may be a little better, but I couldn't be happier with my old Squier Standard. I may swap out the pickups someday, but the alnicos it came stock with are really just fine.
Muddslide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

My Squier Std. is an excellent player. I replaced the stock overwound pickups with Fender OV's to suit my preferences.
You'll never make a wife to a home lovin' man.
Ricky D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I really love my Squier Standard Tele. I prefer it over my Gibson LP, mainly because of the neck. It is the smoothest neck Ive ever played.
Peterquelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

When it comes to the Squier line, you need to keep in mind both the good, and the not so good.

The Good:
The Tele design is a work of genius and you are getting all of the benefits of that design.
Modern manufacturing techniques allow these to be CNC manufactured to exceptionally close tolerances, making very high quality possible at very low prices.
The Notsogood:
These roll off assembly lines in huge numbers without ever being touched by someone that even understands what they are making. Assembly tolerances are going to be "good enough" to pass inspection... And that's all you can guarantee. Some will be outstanding. Others will slip through that shouldn't.
Materials and electronics will be the cheapest available. If a corner can be cut, it will be cut.

So what to do if this is the only way to afford a Telecaster?

Try lots of them if you can. Find that special one that "speaks to you". The one that was assembled by the worker that gives a crap. The one that everyone in the factory noticed and smiled as it went past their work booth.

If you find the one with that magic, it won't matter how much or how little it cost.

And electronics can easily be upgraded down the road.

Old March 24th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I love my candy apple red standard (IC03) .. Had it a year now, upgraded the electrics and fitted a set of Tonerider Hot Classics and it sounds amazing through my Vox VT40+ & Vox DA5. Upgrades only cost 80 in all... I will not be parting with it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using TDPRI
welshman71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

had the butterscotch one. didn't like the sound compared to the cv , wow what a difference
wayloncash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
When it comes to the Squier line, you need to keep in mind both the good, and the not so good.

The Good:
The Tele design is a work of genius and you are getting all of the benefits of that design.
Modern manufacturing techniques allow these to be CNC manufactured to exceptionally close tolerances, making very high quality possible at very low prices.
The Notsogood:
These roll off assembly lines in huge numbers without ever being touched by someone that even understands what they are making. Assembly tolerances are going to be "good enough" to pass inspection... And that's all you can guarantee. Some will be outstanding. Others will slip through that shouldn't.
Materials and electronics will be the cheapest available. If a corner can be cut, it will be cut.

So what to do if this is the only way to afford a Telecaster?

Try lots of them if you can. Find that special one that "speaks to you". The one that was assembled by the worker that gives a crap. The one that everyone in the factory noticed and smiled as it went past their work booth.

If you find the one with that magic, it won't matter how much or how little it cost.

And electronics can easily be upgraded down the road.
I disagree with almost all the "not so good" points. I have owned at least 6 Squier instruments in the past three years or so, and I have found none of them merely "good enough." Attention had been paid to details such as frets, assembly and finish. All of them have been more than acceptable sound-wise. These have been made in Indonesia and in China but I don't think it matters where they come from. My MII Standard that I linked in my first response in this thread is as fine an instrument as I own right now and maybe one my best guitars ever.

Old March 24th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Squier Standards are solid and competent guitars.

I like the neck profile on the Standards better than any other Squier except the VM Tele Special and the VM Custom Special.

Old March 25th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Fine guitars - Well worth the money

I recently sold an antique burst one I had , it was fitted with a humbucker in the neck pos and it was as sweet a guitar as many other more expensive ones I`ve owned , of various makes . The thing is (and this is my theory on the matter) if you go back to the basics , the very premise of the tele was not to build a magnificent luthier crafted masterpiece . It was simply yo build (mass produce) guitars built down to a price and made simple enough that semi skilled operatives could make a fair job of putting one together . You can gold plate a claw hammer , but it doesnt make it better . Due to the tele being a simple "tool" for making music back then with primative equipment , it stands to blindingly obvious reason that one built in a state of the art factory in Indonesia or wherever is going to be plenty good enough to get the job done . Good guitars the standards and I picked mine up for 100 including delivery from a pawn shop ! cant say fairer than that and I bet it`s still going strong Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1588.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	173115

Click image for larger version

Name:	438673_2extraLarge.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	173116

Name:	DSCN3910 - Copy.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	173117

Name:	IMG_1597.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	173118
ShadowChancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Twangy View Post
I like the neck profile on the Standards better than any other Squier except the VM Tele Special and the VM Custom Special.
Can you describe the neck profile & thickness?

Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Neck

not got exact dimensions , just feels a regular "c" and comfy as hell , medium feeling frets too , nice
ShadowChancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Don't forget the affinity:

http://youtu.be/fklKUA_CBb8

Brian

Squier Affinity Modified Video Demo
wrxmania is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixShooter View Post
Can you describe the neck profile & thickness?
It is a medium C, about the same shape and size as a MIM Standard.

Thinner than a Squier 51 obviously, a little thicker than an American Standard.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Telefied

But, I don't even have any stock necks on mine at the moment.

No stock bridges, either:

boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

mine does exactly what it is supposed to do, flawlessly, night after night. makes that unique tele sound, stays in tune, and doesn't negatively react to weather, packing, hauling, beer, or sweat.

if i'm not mistaken, that is what makes a tele a tele.

pull the trigger.
banjohabit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2013, 07:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Gotta standard about a month ago and i love it. Makes learning guitar that much more enjoyable. What a classic design and sound!
Twanger58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

got one 3 years ago at a ridicolous price, and the only upgrade I made is to put locking tuners on it ( so easy to change strings !). without even try whether the original ones stayed in tune or not.
like others have said, the rosewood neck is fast and very comfortable, pick-ups are ok, and can be upgraded later, it's light and it's looking good.
and you can have an used one for 1/3 of a MIM tele.

overall, a very reliabe workhorse.

"look out kid, they keep it all hid !"-Bob Dylan
piaggio is offline   Reply With Quote