Packard Bell Chairside Radio to Amp Conversion - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Shock Brother's DIY Amps
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Shock Brother's DIY Amps Building or modding your amp? Then use this forum to discuss the process and show your pride and joy.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 13th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Packard Bell Chairside Radio to Amp Conversion

Just picked this up today. As the title states it is a Packard Bell Model 48F Chairside Radio. I have been looking for a piece of furniture that I could convert to an amp. It has been recapped and works good. Looks like these:

I saw another one that had an input jack adapted for a mp3 player. Looking to either add a guitar input jack, modify the existing chassis, or there is room to add another guitar chassis.

It has a 5Y3G, 2 6V6's, 6SA7, 6SK7, 6SQ7,6J5, and a 6AF6G. I also got an extra 5Y3, 2 6V6's, 4 12AX7's, 2 12AU7's, and a 12AT7. Any recommendations by the amp guru's?

onenotetom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I recommend you build an amp that you like the sound of. What do you like?
printer2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I recommend you build an amp that you like the sound of. What do you like?
Hard to say with this one. I could build the Deluxe Reverb without the normal channel and tremelo that I have been wanting to build. Would have to get a bit creative with the chassis and controls.

The easy route would be to build a 5f1 or 5f2a in a seperate chassis. Plenty of room to mount it. There are some ports on the side up top that I could route the controls. This would leave the cabinet and radio in original working condition.

The speaker opening is 10 inches tall and runs the width of the cabinet. The existing speaker is a 6 inch field coil unit. I could place the existing speaker off to the side with plenty of room for an 8, 10, or even a couple of 6x9's.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 15th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I got it home and we have no AM reception here. The radio worked good at the guys house where I bought it. It even worked well in our shop at work with all of the flourescent lights and metal building. Makes me consider modifying it. Need to try and find a schematic that is readable. With a 5y3 and 2 6v6's something has to be usable.

Old March 15th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Small picture and old eyes. What control options do you have?

Old March 15th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

On/off, treble, bass, and am/sw. There are push buttons for the radio that are not working. The treble and bass have pointers in the radio screen that show the level. This is the same radio in a table top.

http://174.122.4.235/~antiquer/forum...p?f=6&t=168222

Still looking for a schematic that I can post. When it was recapped the tech laminated the schematic and stapled it inside but I do not have a scanner. Modifications may be beyond my ability but I am trying to learn how the circuits are designed.

Old March 15th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

You could get the pin outs of the tubes and work your way backwards from the 6V6's. Go from the grids of the 6V6's, they would be attached to the plate or cathode of the phase inverter through capacitors. Then see where that tube's grid goes, and further up the line. When you hit the tone controls you might have an audio stage before it, might be a good place to splice in a jack and try a guitar through it.

Old March 16th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Printer2, thanks for the replies. You were a great help in troubleshooting my DRRI build as well. I will look at the schematic and see what I can figure out. Would be neat if I can tie into what is there.

Had almost decided to build a 5f1 and install it inside the cab along with the existing amp. Also have to verify the speaker. It is only 6" and if a field coil I might have to go the 5f1 route. There is plenty of room for the existing amp and speaker and a 5f1 in a custom built chassis and a 10" speaker.