Reverb Circuit Placement - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Shock Brother's DIY Amps
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Shock Brother's DIY Amps Building or modding your amp? Then use this forum to discuss the process and show your pride and joy.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 25th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Reverb Circuit Placement

I need some advice on where to locate the reverb in an 18 watt style build Im working on.

Right now, Im working with one gain stage ->cathode follower/tone stack->LTPI. Im looking for a way to implement a cap-coupled reverb circuit, ala Ampeg. Ive got an Ampeg GS-12R and love the reveb, so Ive decided to copy it. Could I split off from the output of the tone stack and join up right before the PI input cap? Any thoughts would be great

EETStudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quick update after a thread I just read -

http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=29942

About halfway down a user suggested to another user that its possible to apply the reverb circuit off of one of phase inverter outputs, and reapply the input at the opposite phase inverter input. That suggestion is about 4 comments down on that thread. Sounds like a good idea to me

Old January 25th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Dumb idea but I will not tell you why, you being a student and all. The best way to learn is to figure things out yourself. I will give you a hint though, study how the LTP PI operates.
printer2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 26th, 2013, 01:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

KISS

If you want it to sound like an Ampeg reverb... design it like an Ampeg reverb.

To do it otherwise... you may not get the results you're looking for.

"one gain stage ->cathode follower/tone stack->LTPI"

Not very 18Wattish, but I think I get your drift.

Without some closer looking in to, I would say its not the best place to pull you send signal from, but it may be your only choice. Off hand it just seems there should be another gain stage right after that tone stack, and that would be the place to pull a cap coupled reverb signal from, right off the plate.

Sounds like your in the planning stages still.... keep thinking things through and ask questions, even when you think you're absolutely right.

Schematics really help to get your ideas across clearly, what I'm imagining the topography of your design looks like, may be way off base.

Ray
stingray_65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2013, 02:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

stingray,

I think you might be on to something. I really wanted to incorporate a low gain preamp into a pair of 7591s while retaining reverb, and its occuring to me that I should use that second triode as a gain stage and not a cathode follower. If I take the reverb send off the plate, while also coupling the phase inverter with that stage, should I apply the reverb return before or after the phase inverter input cap?

Old January 26th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

EET, if you input a signal on one side of the LTP the signal ends up on both outputs. Now if you take a signal from the output and then feed it back (after going through some springyness) into an input would that not be a good recipe for the circuit to oscillate?

Old January 26th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

printer2,

I appreciate your willingness to educate, although I have very limited experience with the technical aspects and circuit requirements for reverb. Are you suggesting sending the reverb from one of the PI outputs, and returning it to the PI input?

Old January 26th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by EETStudent View Post
printer2,

I appreciate your willingness to educate, although I have very limited experience with the technical aspects and circuit requirements for reverb. Are you suggesting sending the reverb from one of the PI outputs, and returning it to the PI input?
Actually the post in the other forum suggested the same thing, I thought that is what you were considering. Maybe I was mistaken.