Where to go from here? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Shock Brother's DIY Amps
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Shock Brother's DIY Amps Building or modding your amp? Then use this forum to discuss the process and show your pride and joy.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 5th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Where to go from here?

Brought this home this afternoon. The guy I got it grim says it makes a great 18w build. Naturally since the only work I have done on any amps is a 5e3 it looks like a 5e3 to me without a pre amp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-334314805.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	159855   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1105450145.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	159856   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2646523434.jpg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	159857  

Name:	image-4261948030.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	159858   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-945538106.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	159859   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3205099076.jpg
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	159860  

Old January 5th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Possibly a Smokin' Joe II from Weber with a rectifier tube instead of a bridge rectifier?

Old January 5th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

This was in the organ when he took the amp out - i think possibly punch a hole, add a noval socket and then go from there - I will need to determine yet - I think - if there is enough juice on the PT to get me the needed amperage for the extra socket... anything obvious i'm missing?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Schematic - Toms.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	159862  

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 6th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

If i were you iŽd tidy it up a bit as far as innards...check for anything obviously marginal and replace as needed.
Then fire it up and check to see what voltages asf youŽre getting. If that within is the OT iŽd say that looks kind of meek. PT tho...nah... If thereŽs a heater fuse in there that would most def give you an idea.

What iŽm saying is that from the looks of it that there looks to be a P/P twin 6V6 18watter which is tube rectified.
In such a case iŽd fold an extra preamp chassis from some aluminium sheet metal. If you got a metal workshop around where you live,ask them to fold one for you.

Then,making the hookup between the two pts..easy enough. DonŽt frown on the idea of using a preamp and poweramp part. Many a good amps are built this way and it DOES carry merit.
Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I did a few like that in the past. I would probably spend a day studying how the different parts are wired, maybe make a drawing just for the heck of it. Then i wouldde-solder and remove all the parts, just leaving the transformers and tube sockets mounted. And clean all the terminals. The easy way is with a solder gun and a air compressor - but wear some safety glasses!

you could make a nice little 5e3-type amp, with true point-to-point wiring. But it would get pretty cramped with all the inputs/outputs and pots etc.

What 'racing' said above is a fine suggestion. Build a second small chassis for the preamp. Mount this power amp on the floor of the cab and the pre-amp at the top. A real 50's vibe there.
jhundt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Lots of possibilities there, it would be really surprising if your PT could not supply the extra 300ma 6.3v for a heater and 4ma B+. If it can't, then you could do something like an early vox, sub in a 7199, use the pentode in place of the Vox's ef86 and the triode as the split load/concertina PI
celeste is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

All great ideas - this will definitely be a Head only - so i'm not too worried about the space needed for the input/output jacks, and vol/tone controls - they'll be mounted off the chassis anyway - i was thinking i could drill a hole above where the 12ax7 is labled now - put in the pre-amp tube there, and get a turret board mounted up a an inch or 3/4" over the tube sockets -

..... but i'm sort of liking the idea of the shared 7199 for PI and pre amp -
Is the first schematic shown on this page the way that you mentioned the early vox amps did it? well at least one way? http://www.triodeel.com/7199.htm

Old January 7th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

That looks like it would work. I have never used regenerative feedback on a screen grid, so I do not have a suggestion for the size of C1, but C2 C3, the coupling caps to the power tubes I would suggest going down to no higher then .1uf.
celeste is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

"Down to the lake I fear"....sorry irresistible, shouldn't be so childish!

Old January 7th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

It looks like its from a old phonograph. I see you are in the twin citys. If you got it from a guy in burnsville i may know a little about it and be able to tell you more as i have worked on one before.

It can run a second 12 ax7. Just not any room to work with. It can be done i have seen it.
insanecopilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by celeste View Post
That looks like it would work. I have never used regenerative feedback on a screen grid, so I do not have a suggestion for the size of C1, but C2 C3, the coupling caps to the power tubes I would suggest going down to no higher then .1uf.
I see that in the notes too - motorboating - low plate -
perhaps still adding another tube is the way :)

Old January 7th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecopilot View Post
It looks like its from a old phonograph. I see you are in the twin citys. If you got it from a guy in burnsville i may know a little about it and be able to tell you more as i have worked on one before.

It can run a second 12 ax7. Just not any room to work with. It can be done i have seen it.
It is one and the same - and i think i'm thinking that for sure i will run a second tube for a pre - you went the 18W route with the other one? did you happen to look at the Weber Smokin' Joe II layout/schematic? i think this would work for this pretty well - just gear it up for 6v6 instead of the el84s - would be more like a single channel 5e3 - or perhaps just build it as a 5e3 period -

Old January 7th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Make a Harvard. Everything will fit. V1 is a 6AV6 or a 6AT6

If I'd read this thread sooner, I'd have sent you a 7 pin tube socket with your pots.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/shock-bro...p-chassis.html

Old January 8th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ridesglide View Post
It is one and the same - and i think i'm thinking that for sure i will run a second tube for a pre - you went the 18W route with the other one? did you happen to look at the Weber Smokin' Joe II layout/schematic? i think this would work for this pretty well - just gear it up for 6v6 instead of the el84s - would be more like a single channel 5e3 - or perhaps just build it as a 5e3 period -

My friend had one of these before that sombody had added a 2nd 12ax7 into it paralleled input gain stage. With a 5e3 design. It was a rats nest. He sold it. It did sound very nice BTW. Later he came across another phonograph with a chassis he wanted me to build. I declined. So i guess you got it now. Small world. I would be interested how it comes out :-)
insanecopilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

+1 on a Harvard

Old January 8th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I am digging Celeste's idea for a 7199. You could use the pentode for a ga40 and just use a nice concertina phase inverter. It is my understanding that the 7199 is essentially a 5879 and half a 12ax7 jammed into one tube.
pasquale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

you're all so smart and full of great stuff - Thank you for such great advice and input!

- since i'm pretty sure i'll NOT be doing complete point to point, i think i'll be learning how to make turret boards this time eh?

Old January 8th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackworth1 View Post
Make a Harvard. Everything will fit. V1 is a 6AV6 or a 6AT6

If I'd read this thread sooner, I'd have sent you a 7 pin tube socket with your pots.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/shock-bro...p-chassis.html
Everything will fit. Measured it out tonight. I like the cathode bias as well, but since I have an unknown power transformer should I possibly set it up with a trim pot between some resistors instead of the larger 5watt one on far left of board that you coupled with the 22uf /50v cap? I read some on the tubes you mentioned and I think the 6at6 may give a bit more gain and perhaps bite.

Old January 8th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

2-1/2" x 8"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2166423332.jpg
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	160304  

Old January 8th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If space is too confined, you can do cathode bias like a 5E3 in your Harvard type build.

The cap can saves a lot of space.

Using that existing cap can, if it checks out, or a new cap can, will save some real estate for a Harvard style board.