What 12" speaker for custom Fender-style amp? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Shock Brother's DIY Amps
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Shock Brother's DIY Amps Building or modding your amp? Then use this forum to discuss the process and show your pride and joy.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 13th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

What 12" speaker for custom Fender-style amp?

Hello folks... I am building an ampmaker Double Six amp, which is loosely based on a Fender style amp. It is basically going to be my clean amp. I am building a 2x12 speaker cabinet to go with it.

Does anyone have solid experienced recommendation on what 12" speaker to go with this? I am looking for clean fender voicings. but I know that can mean a lot of things. Dont really know from what era. I am going to be playing strat and tele mostly through this one, with some basic pedals/fx in front of it.

Do I hear Weber? Which one? :)

Thanks!

Last edited by gnolivos; July 13th, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
gnolivos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

loosely based on which Fender amp?? The answer to that question will help us help you.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Very well, since you asked, here is just 'how loosely'... I believe this is meant to be based on a Blackface of sorts...? Champ?

http://www.privateeramps.com/infocen...e334e978991562

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 13th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Well, if that is based on a FEnder amp, it is a very loose interpretation. In some ays it is closer to a Gibson amp...the GA-18T Discoverer which has a paralleled single-ended output section.
At any rate......speakers??? So many choices.....do you want big volume?? OR....are you looking for the '50's type of soncis. Big volume....I would use an Eminence LEgend GB128. '50's...I would look at a WEber 12" Alnico.

Old July 13th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Wally,

I already have a Marshall based amp, British voicing with Celestion Greenbacks 2x12 cab.

So, I am looking for an American voicing now through this other amp. I especially want clean speakers, little or no breakup if possible. The amp itself is designed for clean headroom.

Any advice based on that?

Old July 13th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Any of these 3 a good choice?

http://www.tonetronix.com/pc/Jensen-...-Speakers.html

http://www.tonetronix.com/pc/G12C-S/...-Speakers.html

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/spe.../?model=Wizard

Old July 14th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Ceramic Jensens would certainly be Fendery.

In the Eminence lineup I'd go with Swamp Things over Wizards for Fender cleans.

You sure you need a 2x12 for that amp?
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Okay.....EVL's are the top of the chain, imho.
FWIW, I don't find the Emi LEgend GB128 to be anything like a Greenback.
The GB128 has bigger low end than the greenbacks that I have heard...unless we are talking about the 55hz bass GReenbacks, whcih are great for guitar. IN a BF FEnder reverb amp, the GB128 has big bottom end, warm woody tones and smooth high end......and a lot of oomph if you are looking for headroom.

Old July 14th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

for the 1965 and later model blackface fender amps the upgrade speaker choice ws the jbl d120f.

then it went to the jbl k120 then the jbl e120.

i also agree the ev's are top of the line also and a very clean speaker...and very efficient. srv used both jbl e120's and the ev' 12L you cant go wrong with an EV.

fane are also very good are british and used in hiwatt.

for brand new speakers ? i would go with either the EV"s or the Fane's...probably leaning towards the EV'S. many people feel the EV'S are the best speakers made today.

also remember when a speaker is very efficient...it also makes hum and buzz kouder too. it also colors the sound very little and when you use them in a fender amp many feel they are to bright sounding....but that is what tone controls are for.

for high power handling, efficiency and clean headroom it is hard to beat the jbl e120.

i have 4 of them in my sound city 4 x 12 cabinet run by a blackfaced 69 dual showman reverb. but 1 jbl e120 speaker will handle anything a 100 watt rms showman can give it and still be clean and efficient.
mabley123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Jensens would be Fendery. Also, Warehouse Guitar Speakers has a version of the Jensens that I have read good things about but have not heard personally. I have a 1x15 Jensen ceramic hooked up to 2x12 Celestions and was thinking of swapping out the Celestions for the WGS type Jensens.
Have also read good stuff on the EV's. SRV used them....Joe Bonamassa,(sp?) uses them in his Marashall cabs.
Many good speakers out there that might get the tone you're after.
I have an Eminence, "Red Ryder" that is supposed to be "British Voiced", but to me is a very clean speaker that is impossible to break up. If you are after cleans, something down this trail I believe would also work.

Old July 14th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Weber 12F150 perhaps?
6942 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Well all depends also at what volume your going to be playing the amp plus it has different power settings. If you were going to gig this amp I'd def go the WGS, and for lounge/studio playing get a vintage P12Q.

Old July 20th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the replies! After reading some more, I think I would like to buy a Weber brand speaker, because of general quality and good price. Also easy to find, so that I don't have to go hunting for vintage speakers.

Am I hearing any suggestions for a Weber 12" that is Fenderish and provides clean tones without early breakup? The 12150 @ 50W sounds like might work for me, but I want to keep it at $80 each max.

Old July 30th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I need some advice... I bought a 12" Speaker on eBay rated 8 ohm. Before even installing it, I put my voltmeter to the speaker and measured 6.3 ohms.

Is this normal? I know lower ohms is generally a problem for output transformer son amps, and I am connecting this to a 8 ohm output. Please advise!

Old July 30th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

gnolivos, that is a good reading for an 8 ohm speaker. Almost always, the resistance reading with a meter will be lower than the imnpedance rating of the speaker. There are some exceptions that will read resitance that is very close to the impedance, but 6.3ohms is good for 8 ohms impedance. 4 ohm speakers usually read 3.2 or so. 16 ohm speakers might read 13.4ohms or so.

Old July 30th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Wally, thank you very much!