Best Tolex glue - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Shock Brother's DIY Amps
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Shock Brother's DIY Amps Building or modding your amp? Then use this forum to discuss the process and show your pride and joy.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 28th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Best Tolex glue

Hi all. I'm seeking opinions about success with different Tolex glues. I began with Weldwood contact cement in a can (not the water based stuff), which worked well, but had to be brushed on and caused some stretching. I then started using 3M Super 77, which sprays on. Much faster and less stretching, but after about 6 months starts to let go and gets gummy. I'm thinking about getting a hot glue pot and using hide glue, but don't know much about it. Any tried and tested long term success stories? I sure appreciate any input.

Powdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've used the 3M Super 77 with no problems or streching. Are you following the directions?
Mightyaxeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Ive tolexed a bunch of cabinets with 3M Super 77 with no problems. Living in a swampy climate (Houston), Ive found that I need to cut the tolex ends a little long so there is more to glue and tuck in the inside walls of the cabinet. Then I put a few staples in the tolex on the inside of the cabinet to keep it from curling up or pulling.
spankdplank is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdplank View Post
Ive tolexed a bunch of cabinets with 3M Super 77 with no problems. Living in a swampy climate (Houston), Ive found that I need to cut the tolex ends a little long so there is more to glue and tuck in the inside walls of the cabinet. Then I put a few staples in the tolex on the inside of the cabinet to keep it from curling up or pulling.
+1 on the long ends...I just did my second covering job and used shorter ends...the 3M 77 needs the length.

Old September 28th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I'm not having the stretching problem. The glue tacks up well and the initial hold is fine. After about 6 months, the glue seems to get gummy and let loose. I live in a pretty dry climate, the California Sierra Footholls, and I'm not sure that's the problem. I've done alot of cabinets with the Super 77, and even though I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box, I follow directions pretty well, but unless I use alot of hidden staples, sooner or later that Tolex is comming up.
Powdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Anyone ever tried the Mojo TruGlu?
trip20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've used solvent based contact cement (Weldwood or DAP); it works well but can be messy (one throwaway brush per side). I would think 3M 77 adhesive would also work but it's expensive and you probaby need two coats on both the wood and on the Tolex because of porosity.
Does carpenter glue (white or yellow) work?

edit: I read the posts below (under "Similar Threads"), lots of ideas there. I like the vinyl adhesive (automotive) idea.

How about a woodie with a tweed top for surfers?