Personal Recorder - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Recording In Progress
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Recording In Progress Studio and Home Studio recording forum for discussion of tips, techniques, gear and setup.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Personal Recorder

I'm looking for something that I dont need to use with a computer. More of a portable personal recording device that I can use to keep ideas and record me and a friend of mine. We are just doing acoustic stuff but we are coming up with so much we want to be able to just record the stuff on the fly as opposed to playing something, then trying to remember what we did and write it down.

Looking for something under or around $100, new or used, and that will provide decent recording and playback. Not looking for anything crazy, just something of decent quality.

telemaster7082 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

There are dozens of 'em out there:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Portable...s-Recording.gc
Frodebro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Musician's Friend is selling the Tascam DP-004 for $99. It's in the new catalog. The sale starts Feb. 1 but I called yesterday and they gave me the $99 real.
scottwatermusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
BB
Friend of Leo's

As Frodebro said, there are lots out there and prices keep coming down. It seems as soon as something new is introduced, something new and better comes along. The good thing is you can pick up the used, prior technology things pretty cheap.

Do you need a multi track recorder, or a simpler one track unit? I can comment on a few I've borrowed and a few I picked up used for cheap.

First off, I got a little Boss Micro BR several years ago. Nice little unit. The built in mic works well and it has a lot of feature (amp models, effects, rhythms, MP3 player) built in. I think I paid $75 -$80 for it. I have a Zoom Q3 video/recorde I also got used several years ago....around $100. It can also be used as just a recorder. Great sound and easy to use for. Last week I came across a Korg 'Sound on Sound' recorder. It can do unlimited tracks or overdubs. This one was also $100. I really have not had time to use it yet, so I can't tell you much about sound quality, etc. I just had time to do one quick take on acoustic and overdub a few parts. Seems to work well, but I'll hold off comments until I have more time with it. It also has amp and effects models and various rhythms.

I have used a friends Zoom H2 and H4 several times and they also sound very good. These can be found pretty cheap used also. Many of the first or second generation 8-16 track Boss, Korg, Yamaha, et cet, units can be found at steal prices....at least in my neck of the woods. I have several pawn shops I frequent that always seem to have one or two on the floor.

Good luck with whatever you chose. It's awesome to have all this amazing recording technology available to us.
BB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Zoom H2 worked well for me ... a perfect digital "notepad." (Placement critical, though, for good audio.)

YouTube channel Originals
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I have a Tascam GT-R1 for exactly that purpose.

The only annoying thing about it is that the input signal is always sent to the monitor-out, which means I have to plug it in for playback and unplug it to record (otherwise feedback). Tape recorders don't do this: some can play a track and record on another but they normally mute recording track from the output. It's the only trick they missed.

But the way I mainly use it is just to hit the record button.
I can offload any good bits into a DAW later.

The very simple and cheap recorders have little better recording capability than a mobile phone.

The old cassette tape 4-track Porta-Studios are an option but they have very limited record time ~10 minutes. However they can be used as a mixer to another recording device e.g. TonePort interface, laptop and DAW: but by the time you have finished setting it up, you have forgotten the brilliant new tune you wanted to play.

Old January 31st, 2013, 01:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Just make sure you don't get suckered in to one-of-a-kind re-chargeable Batteries, obsolete recording chips or, the inability to download to your Computer without something only they can sell you.

DO some research, there is some great stuff out there.

I just bought a ZOOM Q3HD.
I bought the accessory kit for it so I can plug it in when I use it and, put it on a little Desk Tri-pod.
When I can't plug it in, it will run off of two, everyday AA Alkaline Batteries.
I can record 25 hours of audio to a 16 gig SDHC Card.
I use an option that lets me Record 44hz, 16-bit .WAV files I can playback on my Computer.

This one was a bit more, but that is because it does Video too.

Good luck with your quest and your music.

Old January 31st, 2013, 03:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I like the Tascam DR-05, simple, works great records wav or mp3 files.
Go listen to our Reverbnation (link in signature line) all songs were recorded with a DR-05.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...state-recorder
On sale for $79 in white.
Mike Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2013, 03:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

How about this one?

http://www.ombmusic.co.uk/aulos-205-...rder-702-p.asp
folktheatre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2013, 07:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Simpson View Post
I like the Tascam DR-05, simple, works great records wav or mp3 files.
Go listen to our Reverbnation (link in signature line) all songs were recorded with a DR-05.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...state-recorder
On sale for $79 in white.
Do you need a computer to listen to playback?

Old January 31st, 2013, 08:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Although I use a Zoom H2 90% of the time, I did buy this Tascam DR-03 for $49 from MF...small, easy to use..headphones out...

all of the various recorders have a phones out , or you transfer the files to the PC...

They all record in multiple Stereo MP3 formats and a couple of Stereo wav formats...they all have on bd mics...some better than others, obviously...

Zoom H2's can be had in the $135 range now, it may be worth stepping up a few bucks to grab one of those. They are excellent..plus you get about 5 hours on batteries...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8159.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	164158  

Old January 31st, 2013, 05:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

WOW, thanks for all the replies. Ive been doing a little research today, and there are definetly a lot of deals out there. I took a quick look on Kijiji, there was a BOSS BR8 multi track recorder, a tascam DP-004, and a zoom H2. prices were 200,130,100 respectively. I'm thinking maybe a simple multi track would be a good idea.

Old January 31st, 2013, 05:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemaster7082 View Post

Do you need a computer to listen to playback?
No, it has a headphone jack or you could plug in some powered pc speakers.
Mike Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2013, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

There is a guy here who wants 130 for the tascam dp004 with a power supply and an instruction dvd, apparently both were extra cost when he bought it.

Old February 1st, 2013, 07:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

A Boss BR8 is not in the same category, it is a stand-alone 8 track, records 2 tracks at a time to ZIP disks...does not convert to MP3 or wave...It is a fine tool as a multi-tracker but not in the same "runs on batteries" category...I know this unit well..I have one..!