Slight return of the Dark Clouds o' Madness (mix content) - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Recording In Progress
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Recording In Progress Studio and Home Studio recording forum for discussion of tips, techniques, gear and setup.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 21st, 2013, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Slight return of the Dark Clouds o' Madness (mix content)

Finally finished up on the work in progress I posted here for Veterans Day. None of my keyboard cronies were available, so I hammered out primitive organ and piano tracks myself. But it's a primitive type of song!

I realize this mix isn't there yet, but thought I'd run it by the board before obsessing on small stuff there may be bigger issues you guys can hear that I'm missing. So bring it on!

Dark Clouds mix1

YouTube channel Originals
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

There are a couple cymbals that jump way out in the mix at around 2:51 and 3:02 or so, I'd pull those down a hair. Those "primitive" keyboard parts don't sound bad at all!
Frodebro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Appreciate that, Frodebro I'm the poster child for geezer high-end hearing loss!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 21st, 2013, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I often don't catch stuff like that until I've stepped away from a track for a while, and discover that things that sounded good at the end of a four-hour recording frenzy don't sound the same with fresh ears.

Old January 21st, 2013, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodebro View Post
I often don't catch stuff like that until I've stepped away from a track for a while, and discover that things that sounded good at the end of a four-hour recording frenzy don't sound the same with fresh ears.
Roger that!

Old January 21st, 2013, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Speaking of recording frenzies, 64Strat is overdue on his next Beatles project. I finally got "The Word" off of repeat play in my brain, and I'm ready for the next one!

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

woodman
You never fail to amaze me.
Great song, let the Engineering take care of itself.

There are sooo many ways you could mix it and, people would still dig the hell out if it.

~ST

Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by String Tree View Post
woodman
You never fail to amaze me.
Great song, let the Engineering take care of itself.

There are sooo many ways you could mix it and, people would still dig the hell out if it.

~ST
Many thanks! I'm at the comp CD stage and still hearing tweaks to be made, but it's getting close ... on some systems, I'm hearing the organ a little weak, but that may be a blessing!

Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hey Woody. Had a listen on the computer speakers (with a sub) and the bottom end sounded really good. My nearfields will be packed away for another six weeks yet so have to make do. The organ was barely there to the point where I couldn't tell where it came in and where it dropped out. May need to come up a bit. The balance and panning on everything else sounded good. Hope this helps.
peteycaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

woodman
I listen to your tunes on my Yamaha NS-10's w/ sub.
You are very close.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteycaster View Post
Hey Woody. Had a listen on the computer speakers (with a sub) and the bottom end sounded really good. My nearfields will be packed away for another six weeks yet so have to make do. The organ was barely there to the point where I couldn't tell where it came in and where it dropped out. May need to come up a bit. The balance and panning on everything else sounded good. Hope this helps.
Quote:
woodman
I listen to your tunes on my Yamaha NS-10's w/ sub.
You are very close.
Good to hear confirmation on the bottom end from you sub-users ... I don't have one, so I roll off the extreme lows pretty hard, then if it doesn't boom in the car, I figure I'm pretty OK. A dicey way to mix, but that's why I appreciate you RIP die-hards having my back!

Pete, took a comp CD to a rehearsal today and listened to the mix through my bassman's Rokit monitors and two guys' car stereos ... yeah, that organ is pretty buried as I suspected and you confirmed. Still getting used to the JBLs, and this is the first time I've used them with the Hammond model. The highs are making it through on other systems, but the rich low-mids get washed away.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Yep, the organ is pretty much non-existent until the breakdown section, where it sounds quite yummy... also like the piano trills you hammered out, works very nicely... did I hear a Beatles quote in there?!?!!? Sly Dog...

The usual spit and polish applies (along with riding the organ) but you're off to a good start-sounded like it should on my rig, with lots of nice clarity!!!

Franc Robert
www.bluechihuahuarecords.com
backalleyblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by backalleyblues View Post
Yep, the organ is pretty much non-existent until the breakdown section, where it sounds quite yummy... also like the piano trills you hammered out, works very nicely... did I hear a Beatles quote in there?!?!!? Sly Dog...

The usual spit and polish applies (along with riding the organ) but you're off to a good start-sounded like it should on my rig, with lots of nice clarity!!!
Franc, you nailed it a sort of ironic Let It Be quote there. Couldn't resist the urge.

As for the buried organ, yeah, your opinion is universal among folks I've played it for. That will be my first line of attack as soon as I get out of an unexpected flurry of rehearsals and gigs. (At my age, you'd think they'd leave me alone to work in the studio!)

Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

yeah! I caught the Let It Be piano bit at 1:28 and tip of the hat vocal hommage.... Let Us Be.

I like the guitars and keys, it's all great as usual.

I agree, the organ definitely needs to come up in the mix.

The only other thing that caught my attention was, I don't think the snare hit at 0:59 is quite in the right spot.

sounding good though!
64Strat is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Strat View Post
yeah! I caught the Let It Be piano bit at 1:28 and tip of the hat vocal hommage.... Let Us Be.

I like the guitars and keys, it's all great as usual.

I agree, the organ definitely needs to come up in the mix.

The only other thing that caught my attention was, I don't think the snare hit at 0:59 is quite in the right spot.
See, I would never have caught that in a million years. That's why I love this place thanks, Dave!

Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

my apologies for the thread drift Woodrow! just a brief explanation to Bro Frodebro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodebro View Post
Speaking of recording frenzies, 64Strat is overdue on his next Beatles project. I finally got "The Word" off of repeat play in my brain, and I'm ready for the next one!
haha..!! overdue is about right!

Mimi and I have a lot going on. Here's what's coming...

- Re-doing Strawberry Fields, going from demo, to a recording.
- Currently working on a modern arrangement for Hold Me Tight - a'la the Strawberry Fields Forever power pop treatment. Don't expect a traditional version!
- Learning Hey Bulldog now - then will record it. (should be mostly true to original)
- Start recording - I Feel Fine (true to original)
- Installing Mimi's vocals in the Walrus project, then finish cleaning that one up.
- Randy (our drummer) is coming over to record real drums for The Word, Walrus, Hey Bulldog & I Feel Fine.

Back in the day, McCa did a demo called - Goodbye.... Link to Goodbye Mimi is doing his version of it.

Help! is still being bantered about. Girl is a possibility. We have There's A Place partially done also. We've also wanted to do the Lennon version of - Leave My Kitten Alone.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Sub's, its what the kids want these days.

When the Low end is tight and, well defined, the Subs will let you know.

Thank you for NOT syncing a 50hz tone with the Kick drum.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Sub's, its what the kids want these days.

When the Low end is tight and, well defined, the Subs will let you know.

Thank you for NOT syncing a 50hz tone with the Kick drum.
Hey, my pleasure!

Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman View Post
See, I would never have caught that in a million years. That's why I love this place thanks, Dave!
hey! you know this is what we do here. It's always a pleasure to listen to your work and if we help you sort things out... bonus!

Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Woodman,

Nice work - as always!

I kinda like where the organ is sitting. Yeah, pretty subtle at times, but works for me. Definitely try it a bit more forward, but I think it works where it's sitting right now.

I did notice a few little things though.

The tom fill about 1:15 is a bit jarring/ loud. (Maybe the hit at the 5 sec mark as well). It's way louder than the fills 15 or 20 seconds later in the Let it Be section, for example.

Speaking of which, there's a noticeable amp buzz kinda thing going for about three seconds right around there - 1:35 ish. there's a bit right off the top and on the fade too. Not as obvious for those though.

You get a bit of sibilance on the stared into space at 2 mins. I'm gonna suggest you go in there with the automation and pull them down. Zoom way in and you'll see the S waveform looks different. You can actually pretty much identify nasty Ss (and Fs) by sight once you know what to look for. Or you could put a de-esser on. But I'm trying to get you into the habit of using automation. One of the things that separates the big boys from the rest of us, IMO.

On a more production note, you do a little guitar solo around the 3 min mark (starts a little before). The high hat stops and for some reason the mix feels a bit empty to me there. I guess I want something rhythmic going on on that side. Otherwise, I really like how things build, the instrumentation changes adding depth and texture (or laying back).

Woodie, wrangle this one to the ground - you're almost there!

Cheers,
Geoff