picked up clicking noise on PC - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Recording In Progress
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Recording In Progress Studio and Home Studio recording forum for discussion of tips, techniques, gear and setup.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 14th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

picked up clicking noise on PC

during recording and playback

intermittent with phones or monitors

I have been fighting it now for a few months

WIN XP Sp2 maxed out ram 4 gig which is actually 3.2

M Audio Delta 24/96 ASIO

PT 8

Certainly most everything is plugged into the same outlets

no wireless

lots of AC plugs and outlet boxes

unplugged many items doesn't help

annoying..it's not in the recordings

could be a cable..of course...

the one common item I didn't check is the phones amp which drives both the phones and the monitors. I'll do that today

all suggestions considered..even hanging myself.

Last edited by T Prior; January 14th, 2013 at 10:31 AM.
T Prior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If its not in the recordings then no prob right?
If you are at low buffer settings when tracking then your pc may not be keeping up. In the playback engine there is a clickable dialog box that says "may cause clicks and pops" you can investigate. Again it may be performance related: no seperate hd for your audio files or processor overload. Go to view>CPU usage, anything above 60% will start giving issues soon.
winny pooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

ok so I swapped headphone amps...just happened to buy a second one last week...

same cables, same phones, click noise is perhaps 50% less ! odd..still there but not near
what it was

back to the main HPhone amp..

then cables..they have not been changed and connectors have not been changed in years, including the connector on the M Audio Delta Audio bd... I of those around here as well..somewhere....

we'll see...

suggestions and opinions matter here !

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 14th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by winny pooh View Post
If its not in the recordings then no prob right?
If you are at low buffer settings when tracking then your pc may not be keeping up. In the playback engine there is a clickable dialog box that says "may cause clicks and pops" you can investigate. Again it may be performance related: no seperate hd for your audio files or processor overload. Go to view>CPU usage, anything above 60% will start giving issues soon.
Yes I will check again , this PC is ONLY for recording, no net, no nothing,. almost zero tasks...certainly a great suggestion Its running at 85% currently

yes I have a separate HD for storage but not for tracking , I like keeping the programs and work project on the same HD...saved files and bulk storage on USB drive...

I feel the PLAYBACK clicks are a sign of something I am missing..something right in front of me...

Old January 14th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Where is your mobile phone when you're recording?
neocaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by neocaster View Post

good point. .on the other side of the room, 10 feet.....and I always get emails it is business connected...my Laptop is wireless to the router as well, about 10 feet away... always getting emails...

never thought of this...one never knows...

Went back to the main HPhone amp..more clicks than the new one..but it could be a gain thing... as it has a front end level control which effects all outputs..or maybe two things are going on at the same time..like the new Iphone 5 !

Made changes to the PC, cache and display functions, turned them all OFF...should have done that a long time ago but I am still thinking Audio bd connector and audio connectors old and dirty..never been cleaned...especially because it's NOT in the recordings which to me means it's not the PC... But what do I know, I'm just a peasant...

cleaning the PC connectors and changing cables next

Old January 14th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Prior View Post
I like keeping the programs and work project on the same HD
Dunno if this is responsible for your clicks and pops, but this is not the recipe for best system performance. Even if it's the best HD ever made, your startup drive is gonna have to jump back and forth, keeping the OS stable AND running the application AND managing the massive torrent of audio throughput that recording requires. I think the PT manual even recommends recording to a separate drive. If your PC will accommodate another SATA internal drive, that's your best bet. They're cheap and fast!

YouTube channel Originals
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Woody yes I know and agree, and I probably will do this..but the clicking just began a few months back and i have been using this PC for many years.

I do have a 1T USB drive..I will record to that drive going forward..

Are you running the main program from the PC or MAC HD and then starting the new project and recording to the 2nd or ext drive ? I did this just a week back and the click noises were alive ! I would like to know what your configuration is..

Old January 14th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

The system and the audio applications need to be on the startup drive. When I open a new project, I save it to a second SATA internal drive, which handles all the audio chores for the duration of the project ... before I had the second internal drive capacity, I used an external Firewire drive. But SATA speed leaves Firewire in the dust.

As I said, I dunno if this is the cause of your noise, but in my early digital days I experienced all sorts of gremlins recording to the system drive. When I started recording to another drive, they all went away.

YouTube channel Originals
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by neocaster View Post
+1 , on any wireless , phone or computor, signal can cause this type noise !
Tom Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Thanks Woody, yes I have done this recently but had been recording to the main HD... creature of habit I suppose , but for several years all was well..

bad news..I just went thru the exercise of opening the project, saving it to the USB drive , reopening it from the USB drive and the clicks are there, as I thought they would be...but the experiment is GOOD...as I am really convinced now it is either the M Audio Delta Interface, connections, cables etc... I will get past this and it really is time to use the USB drive for audio...I mean it is 1 T byte ! That could be one real long guitar solo for sure !

Old January 14th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Tap tempo? I had this experience during playback with it coming through the mixer monitor from a floor pod with that feature. I didn't realize it was on andf it took me a while to find it.

My cell phone creates that problem as well and it has happened with it next to a powered monitor. Does it at work if I set it next to the office phone.
"Blues is a natural fact, is something that a fellow lives. If you don't live it you don't have it. Young people have forgotten to cry the blues. Now they talk and get lawyers and things. " - Big Bill Broonzy
telleutelleme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

well I'm on to something...

I cleaned the M Audio Delta PC bd audio terminals, cleaned and reseated the bd, changed cables..blah blah blah... clicks/pops were still there , but perhaps not as obvious.. but then..as I was putting it all back together, still wearing the phones, I unplugged an ac adapter from the newly added AC outlet strip..of a few months back ... CLICK/POP...just by unplugging the ac adapter...that ain't good... I then realized that I did reroute the AC lines several months back and used some supposedly hi end AC power strip with some sort of conditioning that my daughter told me was the best...well maybe not...

I am going backwards today with the AC wire routing and strips.... I am thinking you are not supposed to hear anything thru the system in the phones when you plug stuff in ! Maybe this thing I started using a few months back is a POS...

more later

Old January 14th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Glad it's physical. It can be irritating to to find but at least if didn't hose up any tracks.
Old Cane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Do you use Adat ins?
Updated drivers? 3rd party hardware in PT hmm

Old January 14th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Cane View Post
Glad it's physical. It can be irritating to to find but at least if didn't hose up any tracks.

Maybe..but things are looking UP

I did change the AC power routing again, re-layed out the cables to and from the PC to the pre-amps etc...

The one track I have been listening to a has a few glitches in it, very few...this is the most recent project...even running it from the USB drive..it's not a big deal if this file is a bust..I was not anywhere near done anyway and it has a programmed drum track..not like I need to get a drummer over here ! !

While running the track in question though I did view the PC resource..it was at 95% with PT loaded..then I ran it from the HD..same thing ! go figure...But even the PT book says running on the PC HD may cause issues with multiple tracks and effects programs..so perhaps my project is too small to make a difference.

Now I did go back and review the most recent projects from 2012..all clean..no clicks, so it is possible that I caused a few clicks/pops in the most recent session...or have a corrupted file...

over the next couple of day's I'll recreate the project and see what happens..

I think it will be best to run audio from the separate HD seeing I have it already have it, plus with the changed AC box and cables re-routed maybe I beat the beast !

t

Last edited by T Prior; January 15th, 2013 at 06:27 AM.
T Prior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by winny pooh View Post
Do you use Adat ins?
Updated drivers? 3rd party hardware in PT hmm

No, none of that..I had been running fine for a very long time, didn't change any installation sets or drivers, in fact went the other way, removed all sorts of CxxP from the PC and then de-fragged...which took all of about an hour...

good point though..thanks

Old January 14th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

You have plenty of RAM but do you have enough page files and temporary file-space set up? - MyComputer <properties> advanced settings / perfomance settings / advanced ...

Setting these up right can reduce your CPU usage.
I have absolutely zero problems running XP on a 3.2GHz P4 with 2GB and a Creative X-Fi, but then I do have six hard disks - music recording files are big.

Stop all the Windose sound schemes - silent, no clicks or pops.

Old January 14th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrs View Post
You have plenty of RAM but do you have enough page files and temporary file-space set up? - MyComputer <properties> advanced settings / perfomance settings / advanced ...

Setting these up right can reduce your CPU usage.
I have absolutely zero problems running XP on a 3.2GHz P4 with 2GB and a Creative X-Fi, but then I do have six hard disks - music recording files are big.

Stop all the Windose sound schemes - silent, no clicks or pops.
All of those windows things are off..no schemes..no windows "thingy's....this is a recording only PC, the clicks/pops only started recently, CPU performance is running around 95% with all tracks running..

I have been running for several years with NO issues....

but I will still check it, always good to make certain...

thanks

t

Old January 14th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Prior

The one track I have been listening to a has a few glitches in it
If this is in the same place each time you may be getting clicks and pops from edit points on individual tracks. This is why between any two regions (when you overdub you get new over old etc) you need to select across them and apply a cross fade (cntrl F). It used to drive me nuts.

What CPU meter are you using??? You said 95% ? If the Pro tools cpu meter said that my PC would be freaking out.