Work in Progress~State Trooper - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Recording In Progress
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Recording In Progress Studio and Home Studio recording forum for discussion of tips, techniques, gear and setup.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 16th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Work in Progress~State Trooper

Drums, drums and more drums. I'm certainly learning a lot about eq'ing drums.

The one cover from our upcoming album, Springsteen's "State Trooper".

Let me know what needs to be done.

Thanks.

Martin R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Nice work, I always enjoy listening to member's tracks here.

Starting from the beginning a couple of things stood out....

On the main drum part, the toms sounded like they were fairly dead, I am used to hearing a more resonant sound. Since you have already tracked them that is a tough thing to add in the mix. Some of the toms around the solo sounded dubbed, they had more depth to them.

On her vocal, the EQ sounds quite bright on my JBLs.....The reverb on the drums blends ok with the 'verb on the guitars, but the vocal is quite a bit different, maybe you are doing that for an effect.

What kind of gear do you use?

Keep pushing! I hope you are having fun.

Old January 16th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Glad to see you're moving right along, Martin! A couple of things I noticed:

* There's a nasty frequency on the vocal up in the sibilance range that could probably benefit from some surgical EQ.

* On the instrumental break, the big effected rhythm guitar kinda blots out the solo guitar.

* As the song builds, a lot of low-mid muddle accumulates in the right side of the pan field. If you could separate that floor tom and the rhythm guitar and give them each their own frequency turf, it would help both instruments.

Love the sparse, spooky feel. Keep swinging the hammer!

YouTube channel Originals
woodman is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 16th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Great vibe!
Boundforglory07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Aside from the vocal (which is very very bright) it is pretty together, a bit more bass guitar would also be nice. What did you use to record the vox?
winny pooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

As others have mentioned, vocal is a bit bright/ ssizzley. De-ess and maybe roll off some top and you're good to go.

I really like the vibe on the rest of it.

I quite like where the toms are sitting actually - with driving toms like that if you try and make 'em big they just take over.

Very nice!

Cheers,
Geoff

Old January 17th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by paratus View Post

On the main drum part, the toms sounded like they were fairly dead, I am used to hearing a more resonant sound.
Thanks for the support. I initially wanted that echo-ey, booming tom sound, too. We tried a bunch of different drums and mixes and decided the more resonant sounds tended to muddy things up. (And artistically decided the flat drums had more of a "highway" sound.)

And yes, Woodman and everyone else, there's still much to be done on the vocal eq. Don't know why this one is so hard. I think I'll just go back to flat and start again.

The "lead" guitar in the break is more a noisemaker. I think the parts are there, just have to figure out what it all means.

It's hard to sort out which drum is which...there are 9 percussion takes. I'm going through with headphones searching for conflicts.

I did revisit the bass and brought it up a bit. There's not much low end on it because it was getting lost.

I'll repost when it gets close to finished.

This was recorded in GarageBand, mixed in Logic. The vocal mic is a JoeMeek JM48. Guitars are recorded with a 57's, (the "affected" rhythm guitar is part of the scratch track, it'll probably be recut.)

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and comment. It's really great having all these ears on this thing. We've got really strong songs and a wonderful band. I'm so afraid of screwing this up.

And for something totally different, Bluebirds. It's still missing parts but a friend wanted to hear the progress on it.
Martin R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2012, 04:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Bring up the drums a bit, and eq the voice a little less on the mids and highs. The S's and T's are a little distracting from a great performance. Good recording!
tele salivas is offline   Reply With Quote