The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Owners Clubs > Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs Here you'll find owners club threads for many different effects, pedals and stompboxes.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 2nd, 2013, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

NU-X Pedals

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with NU-X pedals, specifically the "Time Force" delay , "Mod Force" multi effects and the "Drive Core" overdrive or any other NU-X pedals for that matter.

Talacaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

NU-X Time Force Delay pedal

Hi All

Ok time to report back on the NU-X (pronounced New - X) Time Force delay pedal.

This delay pedal is nice enough and does pretty much what I need it to do, it seems to be a clone of either a TC Electronics Nova or an Eventide Time Factor. Comparing the 11 different delay types, to be honest they mostly all sound the same. For example the Analog & Digital delays both sound the same, the Analog delay repeats don't degrade like an old analog delay would. I don't see any point in having a separate "Slapback" type either as all you need to do is adjust the time and repeats for a slapback setting so this particular delay type is pointless in my opinion. I'm not running a stereo rig so I couldn't really test the Pan , Stereo or Ping Pong types (Ping Pang according to the manual LOL). I've never heard a Tube delay so no idea if this is an accurate representation or not. For me there are just too many pointless delay types, they would have been better off with maybe 3 to 6 types that REALLY do sound different from each other than trying to pack in too much pork to make the pedal seem more versitile than it really is.

That being said it's actually not a bad pedal at all for a Chinese clone, I needed a pedal that would work in a line level series effects loop in my Tech 21 Trademark 60 amp and this pedal does just fine in that respect, it doesn't choke or clip like my Boss DD-3 did. There is a config section where you can set the I/O sensitivity between -20db & +4db , it worked fine in my effects loop on both settings. You can also select between True Bypass and Buffered (FET) beware that the Tail function only works in Buffered mode (which only makes sense if you think about it) but the manual doesn't state that. You can set it to power up in either "Manual mode" which you would use for creating a patch or "Preset mode" which is what you would use to step through your various presets, if it powers up in Manual mode all you have to do to get to preset mode is hold down the On/Off switch for a few seconds and it switches over to preset mode. In Preset mode the display will show in big letters P1 then P2 etc so it's very easy to read. The manual is a good laugh, lot's of engrish....someone really needs to proof read it and correct it.

The construction is pretty good again for a Chinese clone, the footswitches are particulary nice, the type you see on more expensive pedals (not like the cheapy ones on my Joyo pedals) however I do have concerns about the four pot/controls. The knobs wobble a bit and so I pulled one of the knobs off to have a look, the shafts are not metal, they are some type of Nylon/Plastic and there is a bit of play inside the housing. Only time will tell if this is an issue or not but I'm surprised at this considering the general overall good construction of the pedal (cost cutting measure perhaps?). The input jacks are of good quality (again unlike my Joyo pedals) and the housing, although plastic, seems of very good quality so I don't have any particular worries or concerns there. Again, only time will tell how the pedal holds up to regular gigging but kept safe in a good pedalboard I should think it would be fine. I don't think this is one of those pedals you can just throw in a box after a gig like I've seen some people do with Boss pedals. I don't think it could take that kind of punishment.

The pedal has 9 presets which you can select as 1-3 , 4-6 etc which is nice because if, like me, you are only using 3 presets you don't want to have to scroll from 3 to 9 to get back to 1. The Tail function is a nice addition (only in Buffered mode remember) and works as expected. I've not played much with the Tap Tempo and only played a little bit with the Loop function so can't comment too much about that but then again I didn't buy the pedal for that anyway. The tweek knob has different functions depending on the delay type, for example on the Analog and Digital types it controls the brightness of the repeats which is nice, on the Tube delay it controls the distortion on the delay repeat. It's pretty quiet and I couldn't detect any noticable noise in the signal chain either in buffered or True bypass mode. One interesting or strange thing is that as you turn the time knob, the delay time does not increment in a linear fashion but in chunks. Ie 40ms doesn't increase to 41 then 42 then 43 etc, it moves up in strange increments (40 , 62.93 , 78.94 , 87.18 , 95.43 etc..) so if you need an exact ms time you may find that difficult. Using a BOSS DD-3 for example you wouldn't be able to dial in an exact ms time either so it's not really an issue just an observation worth mentioning , it could be that all delay pedals increment in this way?.

For me it does what I need it to do, I only need 3 presets, a Slapback, Medium delay around 450ms 2 repeats low in the mix & Long delay around 600ms 3 repeats higher in the mix and this pedal does that just fine, it's better than having 3 separate pedals and works just fine on a 9 volt PSU , I don't know if it requires a regulated supply or not , I tried it with a cheapy unregulated and regulated switch mode supply and it worked fine with both so that would suggest that it doesn't require regulated.

At basically 1/3 the price of a TC or Eventide don't expect it to be of that ilk but for £75.00 I would say it delivers quite a bit for the price and at the moment I'm happy with it, it stays on the pedalboard. I gigged with it the other night and it did the job....I bought mine from www.djmmusic.com , they seemed to have the best price at the time in the UK.

Last edited by Talacaster; March 29th, 2013 at 05:25 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Just wanted to update anyone interested in this pedal that the current draw is 190mA.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The switch on my Nux Mod Core died in less than a month.

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
A.B.Negative is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I am really happy with my time core. Now I can finally run two amps in stereo :) works great.
denisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have both the Time Core and Mod Core. I do like all the features Nux packs into a single stomp box, but like Talacaster said, there's not a lot of difference between the delay types in the Time Core. I can here the "harder" repeats of the digital as compared to the "analog" setting. I don't here a bunch of difference between the "tape" and "analog" settings though. The Tape might be a little darker. The 40 second loop/hold and tap tempo are nice features though.

On the Mod core, my first pedal failed (input I think), my second one is going strong. I like the vibrato, chorus and tremelo in that order. They're nothing special, but again, great to have on a single pedal. I don't care for the phaser, u-vibe or flanger. The rotary is kinda cool, but I don't use it much as it's fairly close to what the chorus does (on this pedal) and the chorus has more adjustments. I do like the "tweak" feature which allows you to shape the sound a little more. It's sort of like a "mix" setting I suppose.

If you get one of these pedals and use a cheaper patch cable (cheap $2 Hosa, for instance) you'll want to put an o-ring or something on the male end to keep it from messing up the weak inputs on these pedals. I know from experience that bad things happen when you shove a cable into one of these inputs. They just aren't well built. Similar experience with the Biyang pedals.

Bottom line: I don't think I'd buy either again if they decided to go out on me.
henram36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Hi all, I found this thread through a Google search. : )

I'm trying to find out if the NUX Time Force is right for me. I understand that this pedal is from China and essentially a budget product but at first glance it seems like it could be for me.

I use a lot of delay and as I am getting busier with my band I need a pedal that can store custom settings with different tempos. Does anyone know if the Time Force will store different tempos in the 9 different available 'slots'. I've also been looking at the BOSS DD-20 and Vox Delay Lab but the price difference is HUGE!

Any guidance would be appreciated!
russtyler101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Russtyler101

Yes it stores different tempos, types, feedback etc for example I have 3 presets

1: Slapback (around 125ms I think)1 repeat
2: mid length repeat around 400ms analog, 2 repeats mix low
3: long delay 3 repeats around 500 ms digital higher in the mix

so you can preset any combination you like. I have to say this pedal is power hungry, needs around 180mA of power and at the moment it's kind of noisy (digital whine in the background) which could be because I'm using a Diago switched mode psu to power it. I tried daisy chaining it with other pedals on 1 psu (either linear or switched mode) but it was way too noisy so at the moment I'm daisy chaining all the other pedals off one linear psu and the Timeforce is powered alone by the Diago switched mode psu. I need to try powering it with a regulated linear psu alone to see if that eliminates the digital whine.

All in all it's ok but it's not great, too much chaff in this pedal. They really should have made it do just a few things really well and less power hungry in my opinion. I'm contemplating getting something else but at the moment it's ok.

Old December 24th, 2013, 02:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Nux Mod Core

Nux Mod Core is the all-in-one box that includes 8 types of modulation effect that the players have wanted.
Chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, pan, rotary, u-vibe and vibrato.
Each model can be change from mode normal to deluxe.
True Bypass.