Boss ME-70 Owners Unite! - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Owners Clubs > Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs Here you'll find owners club threads for many different effects, pedals and stompboxes.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 28th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Boss ME-70 Owners Unite!

Works for me!

JayFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm in.

There is no other multi-effect box I would rather own than the ME-70. It really does everything amazingly well, sounds wonderful, super easy to use. And the size is great too, built like a tank, solid. It is an incredible feat of effects engineering.

Long live the ME-70!

...Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours... Illusions by Richard Bach
Big_Bend is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I've got drawers and drawers full of older vintage effects, many that are collectible... Some even have their own threads here in the Effects Owner Clubs subforum. I just don't use 'em anymore. I don't have to.

The OD1 and Blues settings on the ME70 cover the same territory as a vintage Tubescreamer, except the entire ME70 costs less than one vintage Tubescreamer. And it's still under warranty...

Likewise, the built in compressor on the ME70 gives me plenty of squish, but no "pumping" sound. And the delays are amazing. It's just a great pedal.

Combine the sounds, size, and ease of use with the fact that it will run on batteries if needed, and I really think it's the best single pedal I've ever owned.

I keep meaning to get another as a backup, but my first one hasn't given me any trouble yet, and I've used it almost everyday for the past two years.

I also have a GT8, but it's so much harder to operate, it's like you need an associates degree in electrical engineering just to get a decent blues tone.

The ME70 has 99% the same sounds at the GT8, but it's so simple to operate that even musicians can use it...

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Happy to find this club. I bought mine 3 years ago, I love it! Recently I am using more often my zoom g3 and g5, but I will always keep my me-70.
I am also curious to see what boss will invent next for the me series
shanghaitele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

If my beloved ME 50, predecessor to the ME 70, ever croaks, I'll get one.
I got it for Christmas 2003, and it still works faithfully.
I also use and gig with the Roland Cube 80XL.
Brilliant, cheap, great sounding, user friendly stuff.
What's not to like?

Last edited by brookdalebill; March 3rd, 2013 at 12:56 PM.
brookdalebill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've got one. Scored a Best Buy clearance deal on one for $150 a while back. I have had pleasant experiences with it at practices (mostly) and gigs (once) through my amplifier. I would be interested to hear if anyone uses it straight into a PA at a gig and if so the settings and connections that provide good results...eg. "REC OUT/PHONES" or "Gt. AMP OUTPUT".
Big John Studd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 05:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Yet another Texan Boss ME-70 owner here.

I've had mine for about 3 years or so. Came across it at my local GC, an open box sale, a return from a customer. The guy had bought the optional AC adapter, so it came with the package, all for $200.

I'm an old fool from the old school, just plug straight in and play. Actually, I've mostly played acoustic until my first Tele nearly 5 years ago. So my background didn't include pedals/effects. When I came across this sale, I went for it, thinking it would be a good tool for learning effects, that it might lead me to invest in individual pedals.

As it turns out, I like what it can do; it does all that I need. I'm still learning, but I haven't bought any other pedals; I've just used the ME-70. I've even used it to play through two of my amps simultaneously (though mostly I use my ABY box for that).

The soon to be famous musician/Cranks out Top 40 tunes in a bar/While his mind is somewhere on vacation/Far away from his voice and guitar
Bob Bennett
LGOberean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'm In , I got mine to replace my old Me50, and although some of the sounds are not as good, its a lot more versitile.

I have used it once straight to the PA when an amp packed up, It sounded ok, but not something I would want to do every week.

Having said all that I still miss my ME50 chorus sounds.
Durberville is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

It's almost time to join the club. I have a ME-70 on its way. Should be here Monday! Yes!

Now if anyone has any awsome patches a newbie can use, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm looking for Gilmour, Hendrix... well pretty much any sweet sound, so I can develop a "sound book" for this bad boy.

Thanks in advance fellas.

Summit
\_.--..(
Summit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit View Post
Now if anyone has any awesome patches a newbie can use, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm looking for Gilmour, Hendrix... well pretty much any sweet sound, so I can develop a "sound book" for this bad boy.
That's one thing you can't do with the ME-70, and that is share patches. You can write and store your own patches, but there is no way to get them off of there...that I know of. Now, that said, we can suggest to one another turning a certain effect on, selecting a certain setting within that effect, and so forth to try and dial in a particular sound from a given record/artist.
Big John Studd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Ok. good to know.

I guess I will just have to mess with it while playing my guitar.

Life is good...

Thanks for the tip. I'm sure I will have a few questions after I mess with it for a few days.
\_.--..(

Old March 7th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durberville View Post
I got mine to replace my old Me50, and although some of the sounds are not as good, its a lot more versatile...

...Having said all that I still miss my ME50 chorus sounds.
Interesting that you would say that. I've never sat down with both to compare them side by side.

I've never been a big fan of chorus, although I liked my old JC120, and I have a CE2 that I keep around. I find I can get very close to the CE2 sound with with the Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, but I don't care for the Boss CH-1 Super Chorus. The Chorus on the ME-70 does remind me more of the CH-1 than the CE-5 or the CE-2.

Generally if I'm using modulation effects, I prefer tremolo, phasing, or Univibe... To me, the ME-70 covers those bases pretty well.

Now you're gonna' have me watching for used ME-50's on CL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit View Post
Now if anyone has any awsome patches a newbie can use, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm looking for Gilmour, Hendrix... well pretty much any sweet sound, so I can develop a "sound book" for this bad boy.

Thanks in advance fellas.
Rather than think of your ME-70 as a collection of "saved patches", think of it as a pile of amps and effects.

If you want to get a good Hendrix sound, think about the kinds of amps and effects that Hendrix used, then use those same emulations within the ME-70.

This guy does a pretty good job with a Hendrix sound, and the process he uses is exactly what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6hiRcuwx5g

Old March 8th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hey, thanks for the advice. I'm just getting back into the swing of things and both of your tips are very much appreciated. I went this way because the research I have done led me to the ME-70. Everything I have read, and only saw a few negatives. Now that said... I'm not very tech-savy. I will be asking more questions as soon as I can play with it, and develop some questions that sound like I put some thought into them.

This place is awsome, and everybody is so helpful.

You guys ROCK!

Thanks again fellas.

Summit
\_.--..(

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Well, I got her yesterday. So far, so good. Now that I've tinkered and found some cool sounds, I have to figure out how to save patches. So far it has been very easy to use. I have a LONNNNNG way to go.
\_.--..(

Old March 12th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm in. I'm not a big pedal user at all. I have an old Rat and a few others, but rarely them. For several years, I was in a regularly working party/cover band, and needed a mix of different effects but didn't want to buy a pile of pedals. The ME70 anwered the call. Easy to use, and sounds great. I especially like that its layed out like regular pedals.
RevMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Couldn't agree more!
\_.--..(

Old March 13th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Just got an ME-70. First bought a Digitech RP-1000 and returned it. It was noisy, hard to program, and I thought the distortions were terrible. The amp models sounded awful plugged into the front of an amp. Now I'm trying the ME-70. I build tube amps for a hobby and wanted something to go in front of an amp that doesn't muck up the tone of the amp. My amps are simple and don't have effects loops etc. so I need something that sounds good when run through the amp's preamp. The ME-70 seems to be designed for that. So far the ME-70 is promising but I've only been able to play around with it once. I've also got a Pod XT Live which I like but it doesn't work well in front of an amp (I had to build a special monitor amp to use with it). I've got an old Digitech RP-1 which still works. Guess I've had that sucker for 20 years! Also had Korg and Behringer units that I got rid of (total junk). So the ME-70 is not my first multieffector. A lot of these units sound OK over headphones, or plugged into a PA or monitor amp, but sound poor plugged into the front of a guitar amp (that is, going through the amp's preamp and not inserted in the effects return loop or a power amp in point).

I'll let you know what I think after I work with it some more. The key to these units is to forget about the presets that come with it and work on your own tones.

Steve
Jonesamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

count me in, if my ME50 ever goes out I'll get an ME70, but I love this things. they're great for playing live..

you guys been here?

http://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?unit=ME70
IndianScout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 07:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hey, thanks for the link!

I like this thing more and more!
\_.--..(

Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

another happy me70 owner here.

thanks for the link
http://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?unit=ME70
Mark hazatele is offline   Reply With Quote