Review Welch TS Twang Slinger - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Other T-Types and Partscasters
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Other T-Types and Partscasters Non-Fender T-Type guitars from makers big and small, including the one you built.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 14th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Here's my formal review for my Welch Twang Slinger Vintage Series Telecaster that I recently received in the mail...

The Good:
- It looks beautiful. I almost went the safe route of sunburst, but where else could I get a daphne blue in this price range and this quality? So I went with the blue. The binding looks awesome, and the vintage tinted neck brings the whole thing together. It looks like it is straight outta the 50s or something. Very cool.
- It feels and plays like a quality guitar. What more can you ask for? It feels like a really solid guitar. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite necks I've played. It's a C-shape with 9.5" radius and glossy finish. It's just slightly fuller feeling than Fenders modern c-shape, but I prefer it. The fretboard feels smooth and fast and I haven't found any sharp edges on the frets yet. No fretting out or fret buzz either. Intonation was SPOT ON right out of the box and it has the vintage 3-peice saddles which are pretty cool too.
- It sounds just like a Tele should. Plenty of twang here to go around. The Wilkinson Vintage voiced pups are actually quite nice. I was kinda expecting that I'd want to swap them out immediately, but I am in no hurry after hearing them.

The Bad:
Really not much to say here as of now. And I'm not just saying that. Of course, it doesn't have the f-word on the headstock, which effects resale value. And like I said, the pups are good for now, but I'll probably still end up saving up for some D.Allens eventually.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-685401343.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	185440

Name:	image-1825630114.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	185441

Name:	image-3103792765.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	185442

Name:	image-1166023447.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	185443

Name:	image-1248466512.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	185444

go49ners is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Still loving this thing like crazy! The honeymoon has not worn off at all.

I can't believe I lived my whole life without a Telecaster.

Old July 12th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I love the color of that guitar!
stevenhay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 12th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenhay View Post
I love the color of that guitar!
Get one! It plays even better than it looks

Old September 1st, 2013, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

To put the Welch in perspective, I just picked up a Fender FSR butterscotch blonde Telecaster (MIM) and its a fantastic Tele but the Welch is probably a tad better. Specifically, the Welch has loads more Tele twang than the MIM. Could be the pickups but either way between both guitars (both are bone stock) the Welch is just a hair better.

That said, now that I have two Teles ill probably start modding one of them.

Old September 1st, 2013, 10:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have one exactly like that incoming! Your review makes me want it even more! Can't wait!

Corey

http://theiowacarver.blogspot.com/
iowacarver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

It's nice, I emailed them and asked if they made a wide neck in 1-3/4""width nut.
No dice
Tazz3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 12:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have one of their les paul copies and it is fantastic!
Brandon mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Looks good.
telex76 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

Looks nice except for the ugly head stock...
teleamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

Who makes them...

Old September 8th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleamp View Post
Who makes them...
Made overseas to Heath Welch's specs. Really really killer guitars for the money. Cool specs too. I have the Tele and also a Les Paul copy and both are really fantastic.

Old September 8th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

Thanks, I got the answer also from the ebayer that sells welch's.

Nice looking guitars, congrats on yours...

Old January 3rd, 2014, 02:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I just got their EL100 model yesterday. Very nice guitar for the money, less than $200 w/ free shipping. I don't do a review, but unlike the above guitar, mine has a more Fender like headstock, with amber tinted maple neck w/ rosewood board. It looked really dry, but after applying linseed oil and wiping, was just fine. Really good fit and finish, generic sealed tuners, which in my opinion are better than the vintage style. If anyone is as old as I am, I remember when the first sealed Schallers hit the scene in the late 60's. We were thrilled to finally have machines that stayed in tune. Oh well, on to the sound.. like a tele should sound, sharp and defined on bridge, less so in the middle, and pretty soft with the neck. I was impressed. I ran it thru a crate v33 and electro harmonix analog delay. It sounded good. Nice neck, very flat, no rough frets. Intonation was spot on. The strings are 9's and cheesy generics, but with a freash set it ought to be nice. I used to play a 72 Tele Custom, for many years. This sounds different, and its not broken in an aged, but its a nice guitar. I actually bought it because of the comments I read on this forum.
mystichands is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Welch makes a killer guitar. He's blowing out all of his LP models (because Gibson kindly asked him to do so) so hit him up at welchsales@aol.com if you are interested in a Les Paul style guitar. I LOVE MINE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystichands View Post
I just got their EL100 model yesterday. Very nice guitar for the money, less than $200 w/ free shipping. I don't do a review, but unlike the above guitar, mine has a more Fender like headstock, with amber tinted maple neck w/ rosewood board. It looked really dry, but after applying linseed oil and wiping, was just fine. Really good fit and finish, generic sealed tuners, which in my opinion are better than the vintage style. If anyone is as old as I am, I remember when the first sealed Schallers hit the scene in the late 60's. We were thrilled to finally have machines that stayed in tune. Oh well, on to the sound.. like a tele should sound, sharp and defined on bridge, less so in the middle, and pretty soft with the neck. I was impressed. I ran it thru a crate v33 and electro harmonix analog delay. It sounded good. Nice neck, very flat, no rough frets. Intonation was spot on. The strings are 9's and cheesy generics, but with a freash set it ought to be nice. I used to play a 72 Tele Custom, for many years. This sounds different, and its not broken in an aged, but its a nice guitar. I actually bought it because of the comments I read on this forum.

Old January 6th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks for the tip on that, I've been looking at LPs lately and shot him an email to get a price quote.