Saw my first fake Gibson LP today and a rather sad story - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 28th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Saw my first fake Gibson LP today and a rather sad story

I was at the music store where I take my lessons and he had a LP Studio Pro marked at $500. I picked it up and the thing had to of only weigh about 6 pounds. I told the dood this must the lightest LP ever produced and then he told me it was a fake. He pointed out the photo flame 'maple' top. However, if he hadn't told me, I probably would of never known. It was really well done. Still though, I think he is crazy for the $500 price tag. It would have been real tempting at about $250 because it did feel really good.

The story behind it, a guys wife bought him the guitar. His wife became ill and to pay off some bills he took it in to sell it. The shop owner then had to break the news to him that it was a fake. The guy went ahead and sold it and a couple days later the guys wife passed away. The shop owner offered the guitar back to him but he didnt want anything to do with it after that.

Talk about a crappy couple days...

Lunchie String Reviews - New reviews 1st of each month! Come on over and talk strings.
Lunchie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Are you sure it's fake? Gibson did make a version of the Studio Pro with a flamed maple top and see-through finishes (the Pro Plus) and they have made very light Les Pauls (the Studio Lite - one of the best player LP's ever). Don't think they ever made a Studio Pro PLus Lite. A fake that is good might be worth as much as a real LP Studio or more. There are "fake" Les Pauls that go for thousands.

At a gun show, I recently bought a $150-200 knife for $40 from a professional collector/dealer who thought it was a fake, because he wasn't familiar enough with the brand. Dealers can be wrong.
brenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenn View Post
Are you sure it's fake? Gibson did make a version of the Studio Pro with a flamed maple top and see-through finishes (the Pro Plus) and they have made very light Les Pauls (the Studio Lite - one of the best player LP's ever). Don't think they ever made a Studio Pro PLus Lite. A fake that is good might be worth as much as a real LP Studio or more. There are "fake" Les Pauls that go for thousands.

At a gun show, I recently bought a $150-200 knife for $40 from a professional collector/dealer who thought it was a fake, because he wasn't familiar enough with the brand. Dealers can be wrong.
I'm not sure of anything . Maple capped LP's are a dime of dozen of course but I never seen one (that I know of) with the photo flame finish. Also the neck was a 3 piece which I dont think Gibby has done since the 70's . But I know next to nothing about Gibsons. I have two Epiphone LP's that I absolutely love but the price of Gibsons alone keep me from picking them up or paying any attention to them.

Lunchie String Reviews - New reviews 1st of each month! Come on over and talk strings.
Lunchie is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 29th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Seems odd to me that someone would go to the trouble to build a fake LP Studio model. I mean, if you're going to do it at all, why would you not go upscale to, at least, a LP Standard? Kinda like going through the pains to produce a counterfeit $5 bill. All that work -- for what?

Makes me wonder whether it's really fake at all. If you're interested in it, I'd be talking straight to Gibson.

"Before I speak, I have something important to say."

Groucho Marx
younkint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by younkint View Post
Seems odd to me that someone would go to the trouble to build a fake LP Studio model. I mean, if you're going to do it at all, why would you not go upscale to, at least, a LP Standard? Kinda like going through the pains to produce a counterfeit $5 bill. All that work -- for what?

Makes me wonder whether it's really fake at all. If you're interested in it, I'd be talking straight to Gibson.

you would be surprised I came across a Chinese made a fake epi zak Wilde l.p once.

Old December 29th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Yes, there are fake Epiphones, fake MIM strats, etc.
Wyzsard is offline   Reply With Quote