New (to me) Guitar Day - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 23rd, 2013, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

New (to me) Guitar Day

I picked up a used Squier S73 today for the awesome price of $150. I have been a Tele only player for a very long time, but lately I have been wanting something different. I have always liked SG's and Les Paul Jr's, but couldn't justify the money for one, especially for a guitar that wouldn't be my main squeeze. This guitar fits the bill perfectly as a project guitar. I have plans to make a custom pickguard for it and turn it into a single pickup guitar. I will most likely put a humbucker sized P90 in the bridge because I like that tone more than a humbucker, at least for my sound.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4070849345.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	207722

Here is a close up of my first rough sketch of a pickguard design. The pickup hole is just to mark where it is on the body so I know what to cover up. I am thinking a cream/black/cream guard and a chrome pickup will look quite nice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3081212300.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	207723

Old November 23rd, 2013, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Good score man. I'm a big fan of inexpensive, unique guitars and I love the little diamonds in the rough we find once in a while. I had a Dano U3 in sparkle green once...put a bone nut on it and Grover mini tuners. It was a real player. Kinda wish I still had it...
SwampFuzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2013, 10:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I can't seem to find very much info about this guitar.I didn't know that fender had a SG style guitar.can't be many of them out there.
LeftyAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 24th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

From what I understand, this was the aftermath of Fender buying DeArmond. They rebadged the rest of their stock as Squier and sold them. Sadly, those lines bombed as much as the originals. My guitar tech said it was worth it as he is a DeArmond player.