Congas - Wood vs. Fiberglass? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 26th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Congas - Wood vs. Fiberglass?

I know this belongs in the Other Instruments forum, but I don't see too many percussion threads here, and I was hoping to glean some wisdom from the TDPRI alumni... Hope this can live in Bad Dog until it gets a reply or two... Thanks in advance!

I have an opportunity to buy a set of Pearl Primero Congas (Primero is Pearl's student line, like Squier) for fairly cheap ($125).

I can get either Oak or Fiberglass.

Neither come with a stand, so that's an additional expense.

Which would you recommend?

These are going to live at my teaching studio and hopefully see some use on jam nights.

The oak ones have a higher MSRP, but that doesn't matter to me if the fiberglass ones are easier to play. I don't play congas, so easier to play is good.

I thought having these around might help inspire/encourage creativity, if not my own, maybe somebody else's.

Or should I just wait and spend a little more and get a better quality set?

Thanks in advance!

JayFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Having played drums as well as guitar and bass most of my life, I thought to myself very much the same info you'll read here: http://www.x8drums.com/v/blog/2007/0...s-and-wood.asp

Old June 26th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I had a set of congas for years that beat the Hades outta my hands because the rims were too high. Those Primero's look ok for that. Mine were wood and I never used A/C back then, never a problem. I'd go wood they look and sound better to me and DEFINATELY get the stand for them, they won't sound right without it. Unless your into doing a Ricky Ricardo strap-on thing while hollering BaBaloooooo. The heads are probably the biggest thing and diameter of each drum. Like acoustic guitars each has it's own sound and variations. I went small and have a set of LP mini drums now (conga, bongos and djembe) that are all Siam Oak and sound great for what I use 'em for, they're teeny but freaking loud. The djembe came with a different head that punctured and when I replaced it with one of their fiberskyn heads it sounded much better. Dang head was 1/2 the price of the drum though....
benderb9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 26th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you!

As for the stand, is there an advantage to single stands vs. a dual stand that holds both congas?

(Or vis-versa?)

Last edited by JayFreddy; June 26th, 2013 at 02:15 PM.

Old June 27th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFreddy View Post
Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you!

As for the stand, is there an advantage to single stands vs. a dual stand that holds both congas?

(Or vis-versa?)

Obviously, the double stand has to put the congas in a position that works FOR YOU. If it doesn't, then the two single stands are the way to go. Will you be able to try them out before buying?
big-daddy-59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Turns out the fiberglass congas had been marked down to $92! And the oak ones were $125... So I bought BOTH SETS!

And, as luck would have it, they both CAME WITH STANDS too (double stands...) Woo Hoo! I'm totally psyched!

I also picked up this brand new Pearl Cajon for my jam space... Only $44 (yes, $100 OFF!)

I'm new to both Congas and the Cahon, but they're lots of fun. I always liked world percussion, and with the deals that just came my way, it feels like it was meant to be...

Found some really nice online Cahon lessons too. This lady is an amazing player and teacher (but it took me a few minutes to get over the angle of the camera! )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjfP_2c2cIk

Last edited by JayFreddy; June 27th, 2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Thanks to Mods!