Fender 400 Pedal Steel ... where can I find parts? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 23rd, 2013, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Fender 400 Pedal Steel ... where can I find parts?

I have a 1963 400 that was one step away from firewood, which I purchased for the grand sum of $100. I'm intending to use it as a console steel unless I happen to luck out and find a set of cheap pedals and rods. It's such a beater that it's past the point of being 'vintage'.

In any event, there's a lot of general Fender knowledge on TDPRI, so this is a good place to start. As a general question, does anyone know if Stringmaster parts are interchangeable with the 400? The tuning pan, for instance, has a broken tuner, and I'm wondering if the Stringmaster's is a direct fit. Similarly, the pickup on my steel is extremely weak -- could be a broken coil. Anyway, a local winder makes a Stringmaster pickup, but doesn't know if it's the same size as the single-coil, Jaguar-like pickup in the 400. Anyone have any direct experience / knowledge they can share?

kingston_mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hey Mike, for parts no one better than Jeff Bradshaw in Alberta.
Very helpful and fair with pricing on used parts.

http://www.countrypickin.com/
Pete W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Join the Steel Guitar Forum. Lots of people who can help you out there. It does cost a minimal amount to join, but it's worth it.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 25th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

There's also a forum specially for those old Fender cable steels - not a lot of action there, but they've got the right addresses:

http://z8.invisionfree.com/Fender_Steel_Forum/index.php
RomanS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 04:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Colorado View Post
Join the Steel Guitar Forum. Lots of people who can help you out there. It does cost a minimal amount to join, but it's worth it.
If you order anything from their site you get full privleges. I ordered some instructional books and DVDs a few years back. Don't know if if things have changed in that regard but ALL the steel players and help is there. They are passionate about steel guitar and love to keep the enthusiasm going.
Warren Pederson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 04:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston_mike View Post
As a general question, does anyone know if Stringmaster parts are interchangeable with the 400? The tuning pan, for instance, has a broken tuner, and I'm wondering if the Stringmaster's is a direct fit. Similarly, the pickup on my steel is extremely weak -- could be a broken coil. Anyway, a local winder makes a Stringmaster pickup, but doesn't know if it's the same size as the single-coil, Jaguar-like pickup in the 400. Anyone have any direct experience / knowledge they can share?
I've got a Fender 1000 - like yours but the double neck version.

Yes, the tuning pan is the same but, good luck finding a stringmaster one - they are rare as hens teeth.

The good news is that, if you take it apart, you will find that you can fit 4 single Kluson style tuners in place of the strip of 4. You will need to drill a hole through the shaft for the strings but it's a pretty simple repair.

Regarding the pickup, not sure if a Stringmaster one would fit but the original pickup could be rewound by anyone who knows a bit about pickups (yes, they are basically the same as Jaguar pickups but with 2 extra pole pieces).

Are all the cables in place? Do you have the legs and baseboard?

Would be interested to see pictures.
MrTwang is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Hey Mike.........

just send a message to "Silverface" on this forum. He's pretty much our expert on Fender cable steels, 400s, 800s, 1,000s & 2,000's.... He should be able to turn you in the right direction..........JH in Va.