Modern C necks - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 25th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Modern C necks

Are they all the same? Or supposed to be? My Strat feels thinner than the Tele Modern C. Not that it matters, it is what it is, but I was curious as to whether they're all supposed to be the same or if there's an intentional difference on the same name.

lineboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
-------------------------
Friend of Leo's

I think you'll find slight differences, depending on where the guitar was made. The one thing they all have in common for me is, they're all too skinny, and Fender wants you to believe that "everyone wants that shape now." They're wrong.

I couldn't wait to buy a Squier Classic Vibe Tele Custom, but I unloaded it after a few weeks because the neck was like a damned pencil. I suppose I could have bought an All Parts Tro-Fat neck for it, but that's another $200. I also thought the bridge pickup was too skronky, so that would have been another mod.
DrumBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I bought a CS 1960 RI last with the "fat C neck" and it it is very comfy, not too big or too small. that being said I can get along on most sized necks after a couple minutes playing if I like the sound of it. Definitely worth checking out if you don't like a too big or too small neck.

My 1963 strat has a skinny D neck and although its not my favourite size it sounds so good I can't put it down when I start playing it.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 26th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumBob View Post
I think you'll find slight differences, depending on where the guitar was made. The one thing they all have in common for me is, they're all too skinny, and Fender wants you to believe that "everyone wants that shape now." They're wrong.

I couldn't wait to buy a Squier Classic Vibe Tele Custom, but I unloaded it after a few weeks because the neck was like a damned pencil. I suppose I could have bought an All Parts Tro-Fat neck for it, but that's another $200. I also thought the bridge pickup was too skronky, so that would have been another mod.
I'm sure everybody doesn't want one. Most people don't have my goofy hands. (Short fingers, but wide and thick) I personally like the Modern C. The ball bat necks I'll fumble on every time I try to play fast, as I struggle to reach all the strings. Kinda like an overgrown kid... :-)

Old March 26th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

They can vary. My AM ST. Mod C Strat is .83 at the first fret and .90 at the 12th. Pretty thin, but nice feeling neck.

My Am ST. Mod C Tele is a bit fatter. Its .87 at the first fret and .95 at the 12th fret. Noticeably fatter than the Strat.

Seems like there are more fatter maple board necks than rosewood ones. May just be in my head, but it kinda seems that way.

Last edited by Weaselcoon; March 26th, 2013 at 01:55 PM.
Weaselcoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
-------------------------
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineboat View Post
I'm sure everybody doesn't want one. Most people don't have my goofy hands. (Short fingers, but wide and thick) I personally like the Modern C. The ball bat necks I'll fumble on every time I try to play fast, as I struggle to reach all the strings. Kinda like an overgrown kid... :-)
I have short fingers too, and when I play a skinny neck, my hand cramps up. I'm much happier with something near a baseball bat.
DrumBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumBob View Post
Preferences vary, but one thing I've learned from reading posts here is that there is plenty of love for fat necks.

Old March 26th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Afflicted

The funny thing is, with all of this discussion, I don't even know if any of my guitars have a fat neck or not.... lol I just buy guitars that feel right.
macheesmo3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

There is no exact 'medium C', they vary all over in depth & shape.

I like a medium C neck & play an AV62 plus flattops that are kinda similar. Kinda somewhat a little bit the same...they at least ain't 'hard V' or 'baseball bat' etc.

Got a CVC & don't know what Fender calls it but it is 'flat & shallow' vs anything resembling a medium C.
Stubee is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by macheesmo3 View Post
The funny thing is, with all of this discussion, I don't even know if any of my guitars have a fat neck or not.... lol I just buy guitars that feel right.
That last part is what I've found that works. It has to feel right. An electric you can change the sound to suit you, but if it don't feel right, it ends up sitting, and swapped off somewhere along the line. I have found that my feel is along the thinner side...