NGD Les Paul Classic Plus - Manhattan Midnight Blue - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

NGD Les Paul Classic Plus - Manhattan Midnight Blue

Got a new guitar today to add to the stable. The LP Classic Plus arrived in the mail from GC today.

The good: The guitar looks great. The fit and finish look perfect (perfect from the factory - more on finish later). The baked maple board looks great even though I usually prefer rosewood or ebony on my LP's. Maybe I'll be expanding my view point on baked maple? Not sure yet but the guitar plays very well and sounds great. I'm very happy on all accounts of playability, tone, and looks. It's a great guitar.

The bad: The guitar has been hanging on a GC wall for up to a year. It's a 2011 which arrived in their store January 2012. I'm sure it was handled dozens (hundreds?) of times. Which I'm not crazy about in a "New" guitar. I understand the "why," I just don't like what happens to them. This guitar has probably 6 dents in the wood (not through the finish) and one small chip (all the way to the wood) on the back side of the neck where the guitar must have been hit while being hung up. The chip is about the size of a grain of rice. Not sure if I can fix it. There are also a few light scratches on the front of the guitar that only show up in the right light. Maybe I can buff them out. Also, the pickup selector switch cap is missing. I've searched all through the box and the case and it's not here. I'm sure my sales guy at GC will get one for me but still... it's a PIA.

Oddly enough, about 30 minutes after my guitar arrived, a GC rep called me to conduct a survey. When I told him about the issues, he said he "noted them" and then concluded his survey. I guess I am on my own to hit up the store and see what can be done. On a side note, I bought this through a physical store. I didn't order it online. I worked with the guy I usually work with at the store and he found it and ordered it for me. That part was great. No issues. I'm going to keep the guitar. I love the way it plays and sounds and, yes, it is GORGEOUS, if you like blue LP's (and I do!). It will go great next to my LP Traditional in Iced Tea. Here are the pics!

Gibson Explorer; Epiphone Korina Explorer; Gibson LP Classic; Time Guitars Inc-Prime Time; Warmoth Strat; LTD MH-350NT; Xaviere XV-560; Squier CV-50 Tele; Gibson LP Traditional; Fender American Deluxe Strat; Martin Acoustic; Silvertone Blues Master
armycopter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Now that's just drop-dead gorgeous! Have fun with it!

Old February 21st, 2013, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Looks pretty cool. I keep wondering if chrome pickup covers would make it look better or if they would be too much.

I have a Classic. I have the fret marker trapazoids that are slightly green-ish. Yours look like white/grey shells. I like your fret markers a lot.

How does the back look!

We need a back photo.

Congratulations!

"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Frank Zappa
studio1087 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Great color. Have fun with that beauty.
gitold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

gorgeous. i have always loved them, but have trouble playing Les Pauls...they somehow don't suit me very well...but i would own that one just to look at it!

Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio1087 View Post
Looks pretty cool. I keep wondering if chrome pickup covers would make it look better or if they would be too much.

I have a Classic. I have the fret marker trapazoids that are slightly green-ish. Yours look like white/grey shells. I like your fret markers a lot.

How does the back look!

We need a back photo.

Congratulations!
Thanks! I agree with you on the chrome covers. I haven't made up my mind yet whether it would look better or not. The guitar also came with a pickguard unattached. Not sure if I will put it on or not.
Gibson Explorer; Epiphone Korina Explorer; Gibson LP Classic; Time Guitars Inc-Prime Time; Warmoth Strat; LTD MH-350NT; Xaviere XV-560; Squier CV-50 Tele; Gibson LP Traditional; Fender American Deluxe Strat; Martin Acoustic; Silvertone Blues Master

Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Very nice.
WhatDoIKnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

WOW! That's a beautiful LP!
RussBert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thank you for the compliments! I really love this thing. It sounds very nice. Lots of growl and can clean up pretty easily.

Old February 24th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The rosewood wants some lemon oil.Nice color body.

Old February 24th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice looking LP. I can understand wanting it to be pristine, especially when it's as beautiful as yours. I guess it all comes down to how it plays, and if you can handle the flaws. Good luck either way, and congrats.

CC

P.S. I dig the blue as well.
Canuckcaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post Toastie View Post
It will definitely get some lemon oil but the color of the fretboard is lighter because it is made from maple.

Old February 24th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckcaster View Post
Very nice looking LP. I can understand wanting it to be pristine, especially when it's as beautiful as yours. I guess it all comes down to how it plays, and if you can handle the flaws. Good luck either way, and congrats.

CC

P.S. I dig the blue as well.
Thanks! Yeah I can handle the flaws. The playability and tone are fantastic. It's simply an amazing guitar for what I play. I love it.

Old February 24th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

First off, that blue is stunning!!! I get wanting it to be perfect, because it is new. I would take it back and show your guy at GC. Then see if they will give you some kind of a price reduction, or store credit, to ease the mental pain of the dents and marks you described. If they say no, just keep it and move on. In my experience they will typically work with you. Good luck and enjoy that LP.

Onebean
Onebean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post Toastie View Post

It ain't rosewood, and there are many good reasons NOT to oil a fretboard
RussBert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

love that color
Brian J. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Beautimus!!

MASTER VOLUME? WHAT'S A MASTER VOLUME?
refin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussBert View Post

It ain't rosewood, and there are many good reasons NOT to oil a fretboard
Why? This is good info. Glad I heard this before I oiled it.

Old February 24th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

What color is the back?
andrenighthound is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrenighthound View Post
What color is the back?
The back is a very dark, almost black, translucent blue. You can see the grain but you have to look closely.