Thinking of buying a pedal steel...how's this? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 24th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thinking of buying a pedal steel...how's this?

I found this locally on CL for about $550 asking price.

I've been wanting to get one for a while to tinker around with and eventually start taking lessons or self teach with books and videos. Would this be a good deal and model for someone in my position?

I'm not looking to drop a boatload of cash on a 16 string or double neck, or something with 8 pedals and levers, but this seems reasonable.

Thoughts?

Edit. Forgot to mention, it's being listed as a Carter Beginner and everything works.

joshigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

that is the going price for the carter starters... and you'll be able to sell it for that as you progress.

the steel guitar forum has the smartest guys on this topic and will be glad to share... I have and play a carter starter and am getting ready to upgrade to a more advanced model. Some guys will tell you that they suck and you should aim higher if you are serious... for me, I was somewhat serious and it was a good way to get me started...

In a bit, I'll get something more 'professional' but, mine has worked as designed.

Old January 24th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

They are not highly thought of on the steel guitar forums, but it will get you started with a three pedal four knee lever instrument. I did not find them very well finished, a little cheaply built, but hey, look at the other similarly equipped steels.

I looked around a lot a year ago, and I do not think you can find a 3-4 other brand for the 550 you are looking at. Plus it looks like it has a volume pedal incl.

bob
R.S.Fraser Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 24th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Don't do it - those things play with your mind. I tried it once, never again ;-)
sir humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Assuming that everything works properly, I agree with getbent: The price is right, and you should be able to recoup your investment when it's time to move on.

Pictures of musical instruments are very much like sculptures of food.
syrynx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

As a long time pedal steeler..............

here's a little advice.. First off, a pedal steel is actually as much a "machine" as it is a musical instument and has a lot more moving parts than any other string instrument you might pick up... Don't, I repeat don't play one of these "heavy handed" or "heavy footed"... Treat it with finesse and courtesy. Don't beat on it like some do on a six string and really work on intonation. Get some practice tracks if you can or someone else to play with you. I've heard guys who only practiced by themselves and could play a lot of stuff but when they got with other instruments it was out of time and out of tune..............JH in Va.

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I almost laid down about the same amount of cash for a Carter Starter. It seemed reasonable, it still does. However, I decided to hold off for just a bit and I saved a little more money during the interim and I found out about Stage One steel guitars. It was worth the wait and extra cash, IMO.
tele salivas is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
PJ
Friend of Leo's

The Carter Starters are great guitars. It'll serve you well for a long time. It's not the number of necks, knee levers or pedals that I'm after, it's an aluminum neck guitar, I'd like to have. Something with that crisp steel tone - like a ZumSteel. The tone that my all-wood Sho-Bud just doesn't have.

Old January 25th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The Carter Starter is decent steel but not great. The main issue is the cheap build especially the legs which allows a lot of body movement.
I would suggest you look for a used GFI pedal steel or save up some more money and look for a used Showbud like a Pro One. If you watch you should be able to find a used GFI in the 850.00 range and it is night and day better than the Starter.
Pete W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
PJ
Friend of Leo's

GFIs are nice, too. Also, the Stage One, licensed by ZumSteel, is a nice entry-level steel.

Old February 9th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
PJ
Friend of Leo's

And, BSG offers a nice steel, with tons of pro features, at a good price. You'll need to look beyond the color, to see the nice guitar. This steel has an aluminum neck, adjustable legs and Grover tuners - all features usually found on more expensive steels. Good news is...they'll make it any color you want.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BSG-S10.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	165843