Any affordable Ampeg Dan Armstrong plexiglass copies? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 20th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Any affordable Ampeg Dan Armstrong plexiglass copies?

Hi folks
Do you know if they are currently produced replicas of these guitars by Chinese / Korean makers?

I know Ampeg has reissued it, but goes above € 1,500, and I wonder if anyone knows any brand making aesthetically identical clones with price adjusted on the 400-500€ mark (like the Alden brand who copy the Zemaitis models) and with a quality level like a mexican Fender or a good CV Squier...

In several japanese factories in the 70īs were made copies ​​under various brands: Univox, Ibanez, Greco, Shaftesbury, electra ... but i researched a bit and in Europe they are almost as hard to find as the Ampeg and a bit pricey

Cheers

Last edited by Telecaster_man; January 20th, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
Telecaster_man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

While not a Dan Armstrong replica,Dillion offers several Plexi guitars including this one. MSRP $1,000,not sure of the street price.I had a Dillion LP Jr. which was very well made and a nice player.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dillion tele.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	162219  
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I bought that very above gtr 4-5 yrs ago new for around $200!!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 4th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Nobody knows?

Old February 4th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecaster_man View Post
Nobody knows?
It's very early in the day here in the US brother. Not that many posters at this hour. You may want to check back later or tonight. You may get more responses by then.
CS Nocaster; "Nashcaster"; MP Thinline; MIM/Nashville; Squier CVC; Lenti Esquire; Peavey Generation Custom EXP, Taylor 214ce-dlx; Breedlove C250cme; Roland Cube 40xl; Roland Blues Cube; Bugera v5; Ampeg GVT-112e, CV JBass; CV PBass; tc BG250 1x15 Bass Amp.
soulman969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

haha i know itīs so early there buddy...iīm re-asking from the original post from January 20th XD

Cheers and thanks in advance to everybody whoīs able to help me

Old February 4th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I put in an EvilBay search for Lucite guitars and a mess of these came up in different styles and reasonably priced, you can be SURE the body is straight. I traded for a Fernandez Sustainer some years ago and the shop had what was 'probably' a NAMM display guitar of the same model in...Lucite. He wanted a mess of other things I had and while I was tempted I took the wood model. That friggin lucite guitar weighs more than an extremely portly Les Paul. I seem to remember thinking that with the original Dan Armstrongs when they came out and was impressed Keith would sling one around like he did. They're flippin heavy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Galveston-SG...item3f1b8dbfa2

Last edited by benderb9; February 4th, 2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: firgot an Ebay link
benderb9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecaster_man View Post
haha i know itīs so early there buddy...iīm re-asking from the original post from January 20th XD

Cheers and thanks in advance to everybody whoīs able to help me
Ooops didn't notice the date of the OP.

I'd be very curious to know myself so I'll be watching this thread. Had a friend who had one back in the early '80s and I'm kicking myself for not buying one then but I was always so hooked on Fenders that I just couldn't get into it. What a fool I was.

Stew Mac just posted a video of a guy who had Dan Erlwine repair a black one which was only one of eight ever made in that color. Imagine what that bad boy is worth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8CAI1Mh7d04
CS Nocaster; "Nashcaster"; MP Thinline; MIM/Nashville; Squier CVC; Lenti Esquire; Peavey Generation Custom EXP, Taylor 214ce-dlx; Breedlove C250cme; Roland Cube 40xl; Roland Blues Cube; Bugera v5; Ampeg GVT-112e, CV JBass; CV PBass; tc BG250 1x15 Bass Amp.
soulman969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

just FYI, Lucite (acrylic)-bodied guitars are HEAVY! the few that i've plinked around on have all easily weighed over ten pounds, some quite a bit more. having said that, i've occasionally seen import copies of the Dan Armstrongs, but unfortunately i don't know what brand they were or much of anything about them.