So I went on Ebay to Buy some pedals and i Bought a Guitar! - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 11th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

So I went on Ebay to Buy some pedals and i Bought a Guitar!

Its nothing special just a cheap OLP MUsic Man Copy, but only snagged it for $180. Are these guitars worth keeping? Any good, or worth modding them at all maybe throwing a new neck on some pickups? I've never played one before it was a great looking guitar and thought I'd take a chance. I'd love to hear some testimonials on the.

I would also like to hear some opinions of when I get it, do I take a Fender Mustange 1 (less than 2 months old barely used), an Orange PPC108- 8" speaker cab (Less than 2 weeks old), and a MIC Squire classic vibes Telecaster (Less than 2 months old) into the dreaded GC and see what kind of a guitar I can upgrade to (knowing I'll probably have to throw in some cash, or is GC known for gutting people on trade ins.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....if I were to trade in id be willing to move up to a guitar around the $650 price point

Also to add I am a new guitarist but learning and growing quickly so I would be looking for something I couod grow into and possibly gig with In the future. I should also not my musical tastes lie somwhere is this meld of Jazz/Funk/Rock if thats of any assistance. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by telefunk21; January 11th, 2013 at 08:47 AM.
telefunk21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I would also like to hear some opinions of when I get it, do I take a Fender Mustange 1 (less than 2 months old barely used), an Orange PPC108- 8" speaker cab (Less than 2 weeks old), and a MIC Squire classic vibes Telecaster (Less than 2 months old) into the dreaded GC and see what kind of a guitar I can upgrade to (knowing I'll probably have to throw in some cash, or is GC known for gutting people on trade ins?

Unless you're just a generous person, don't trade with GC. Sell your stuff outright if you have to get rid of it. GC is a large company in business to make megabucks. They'll give you at best half what you have is worth......
lineboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Yeh I hear ya wish they werent like that because id love to be able just to bring in 4-5 pieces and get a fair value bundle...but guess ill have to do it the old fashioned way

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 11th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I bought one dirt cheap two years ago.
Changed tuners with Schallers, replaced tremolo with Wilkinson, replaced pots.
Did a fret-job (actually only fret ends were rough), stripped the photo-finish and get the top refinished.
Neck profile was very comfortable, asymmetric affair. Great!
Pickups were surprisingly good - think ToneZone Dimarzio's, but I replaced these with Tonerider RockSongs.
Go figure
The problem with these very cheap guitars is that you really feel like you have to change everything. Not necessarily, but ....

I gave it away as a present to a friend and he say's it's easily one of his favorite gig guitars.
Fred.T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

hmmm interesting, well unless i fall in love and want a project which doesn't seem likely I'll probaby end up reselling it it and selling my tele and seeing what I can get.

Old January 11th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

You might like it. I did and only really needed replacement was a tremolo. Since I had a spare Wilkinson it was done right away. Tuners, that could wait but ...
Otherwise, it's a great guitar to carry around to play. Very small and light. Great tone, very good overdriven/distorted sound.
It's a basswood body and now I want a basswood Strat. I think it's a great wood for electric guitar, very 'transparent', it will let the pickups do their best.
It surprised me that some of guitars on the expensive side are made with basswood. I can see why, tonewise. Love it.
Fred.T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

yeh hell who knows maybe i will like it we'll see i guess....oh and GC tried to screw me for a less than 2 month old MIC Squire/Fender Classic Vibes Tele sounds great, plays great, looks great paid $350 less than 2 mon ths ago, they wanted to give me $75 hahaha

Old January 11th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by telefunk21 View Post
yeh hell who knows maybe i will like it we'll see i guess....oh and GC tried to screw me for a less than 2 month old MIC Squire/Fender Classic Vibes Tele sounds great, plays great, looks great paid $350 less than 2 mon ths ago, they wanted to give me $75 hahaha
$75 thats just straight up insulting.
JurassicCactus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I laughed in his face and he straight out agreed with me how rediculous that was but his manager stood there saying, "we'd barely make anything off that price" so i left, I was gonna buy a pedal too but no!