Why not much love for G&L? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Other Guitars, other instruments
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Other Guitars, other instruments Use this forum to discuss all guitars and other instruments that are not Teles or Strats -- Fender, Gibson, PRS, you name it. If it's a Tele or a Strat see the appropriate Tele and Strat Forums here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Why not much love for G&L?

I am new to guitar and searched (not that comp savvy either), but couldn't find much on the G&L guitars.

Blustele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Using the google search on this site is much more effective than 'Search Forums'. Check it out:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/gtsearch....=1174j329760j6
czgibson is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Telefied

^^^ See, there is love for G&Ls on a Tele forum! But if you really want to love your G&L long time: http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

There's a lot of love for em. I have two. Absolutely outstanding guitars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Teles 03.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	159514  
coloradojeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I love mine. Never heard of them before I picked this one up. Hard to keep my hands off of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3157634690.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	159524   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3110628744.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	159525  
Dick Fanguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

HARD to find

IN PERSON!!!

Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

There is a place in Mt. Pleasant, SC that has G&L guitars; quite a few. I have heard them and they sound good. I played a few and they are certainly quality axes. I have no urge to buy one, but they are good.

Dan R
Dan R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLH View Post
^^^ See, there is love for G&Ls on a Tele forum! But if you really want to love your G&L long time: http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/
Yes, and don't be offended if you post something, and two weeks later, there are two responses.

That site is easily the boringest place on the internet.

I'm not a big fan of G&Ls, but some guys really like them. Even most of the enthusiasts agree, though, that the best ones were from several years ago (especially the 3-bolt models).

Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

If I remember correctly they have a really large required purchase for a dealer or something to that extent I may be mistaken. A lot of small shops can't handle the burden of carrying a huge load of them.

There is one shop in my area that carries them but they also do not carry gibson or fender. They get rics and g+l.

They play well enough I think the cheap lines feel really cheap. The variety of necks that can be special ordered is impressive.
willspear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Telefied

What I like about the USA ASATs is that for the price of a MIA Tele you can custom order your guitar: pick the color, the neck contour, the fretboard wood, the contour cuts, the pickguard, the fret wire, the binding etc...

Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

[QUOTE=willspear;4701860]If I remember correctly they have a really large required purchase for a dealer or something to that extent I may be mistaken. A lot of small shops can't handle the burden of carrying a huge load of them.

Actually, just the opposite is true. My local dealer no longer carries Fender, Gibson, and PRS because of their outrageous buy-in's and their other brands of merchandise they want to force on dealers. G&L on the other hand (according to the shop owner) are great to deal with. No big buy in (order what you want). When it comes to the USA made line, the dealer has the option of doing business like a semi-custom shop with the customer ordering his guitar from a menu of options (neck size/shape; color; pu combos, etc).
Cool beans IMO.
Teledelphia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I have a G&L ASAT Classic that I love, but it took some work to get it to where it is now. I'm not a fan of the barrel jack set up. Mine failed when the guitar was only 4 years old. To me, that's a design flaw that should be corrected at the factory... Also, mine needed a fret level and crown, as the factory frets were uneven. Mine is a 2007, which I got used in 2009 for $600. With the new jack and the fret level and crown, I'm into it for around $750. Mine is now an awesome guitar, but if I had paid over a grand and the barrel jack failed just outside warranty and then I had to pay someone to level the practically new frets, I might not love it as much...

I took a chance that these things could be fixed, and I got lucky.

I got mine on Friday the 13th, November 13, 2009. Due to the Friday the 13th date and the fact that most places still had Halloween decorations up, I named it Casper, the friendly Telecaster...
JayFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I own 2, A Legacy factory wired like S500 and a ASATIII. Both are 3 bolt necks. I was in GC one day trying a amp I saw a S500 to try the amp out. The GC kid said to me it was the best Strat in the house.
Usually I find G&L built more consistant.

Chet

I Play a Gretsch,Fender,Squier,Gibson,G&L,Takamine,Tokai,Fe rnandes,Kaman/GTX
cmgretsch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Same reason a lot of dudes want decals put on their after-market partscaster relics.

Because they don't say "Fender" on the headstock.

Old January 4th, 2013, 12:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
JDC
Tele-Holic

If I had only known then what I know now..I'd have held on to my ASAT. Famous last words.

In the mid 80s I was playing a telecaster but was searching for some additional sounds. I was somewhere in Wisconsin one week and went to the local music store one day and saw an ASAT. I casually asked the shop keeper if this G&L company (which I'd never heard of until that day) had a custom shop.

As it turns out, I custom ordered an ASAT that day. Since I was on the road and was in a different town weekly, I kept calling G&L to let them know my location/address for the coming week so they would know where to ship the guitar once it had been completed. I remember talking to a Dale Hyatt.

Although it's probably not the case, I sometimes wonder if , in 1986, someone at G&L looked at the special order and said."Hmmm..that might be an interesting guitar to market".

The first production run of ASAT lll guitars with the middle pickup started in 1988, more than a year after I was playing mine in clubs around the country.

Unfortunately, I sold the G&L to the other guitar player in the band. As is often heard here "I wish I'd never let that one go".
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFreddy View Post
I have a G&L ASAT Classic that I love, but it took some work to get it to where it is now. I'm not a fan of the barrel jack set up. Mine failed when the guitar was only 4 years old. To me, that's a design flaw that should be corrected at the factory... Also, mine needed a fret level and crown, as the factory frets were uneven. Mine is a 2007, which I got used in 2009 for $600. With the new jack and the fret level and crown, I'm into it for around $750. Mine is now an awesome guitar, but if I had paid over a grand and the barrel jack failed just outside warranty and then I had to pay someone to level the practically new frets, I might not love it as much...
G&L now PLEks its guitars and basses, so I think your fret comments no longer apply.

Old January 4th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

What's not to love?

Old January 4th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
But if you really want to love your G&L long time: http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/
I like the Registry.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2013, 01:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
G&L now PLEks its guitars and basses, so I think your fret comments no longer apply.
Hope that does the trick. I'm still not a fan of the barrel jacks.

I also own a Les Paul Traditional that was PLEK'd at the factory, and it arrived to me with the top 3 strings binding in the nut and the frets still needing some levelling. I really want PLEK to work as advertised, but it hasn't worked that way for me yet.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here. I do love my G&L, and I love my Traditional too, but I was trying to answer the OP's question.

Hey Beachbum... I noticed you "Ninja-edited" the pic of your guitar... Why not just post both?! Sure looks purdy!
JayFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

HARD to find

IN PERSON!!!